Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MaxCDN vs Softlayer CDN vs VPS.net CDN

As the title says I am looking for feedback on a CDN from those who have used MaxCDN, or Softlayer CDN, or VPS.net CDN (or similar CDN)

Usage:

A US based (with 99.5% of the users being US based) Vbulletin forum that has 300-400 simultaneous users active during most weekdays. The forum is hosted by StormonDemand by Liquidweb. Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!

Want to put images, javascript, and CSS on the CDN.

I am concerned about who has the best performance. Cost too is a factor, but not the major factor.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm currently testing MaxCDN, VPS.net (Level 3) and Speedyrails (edgecast). I'm using pingdom to pull a minified jquery file from my server. The cache control header is set to 24 hours and I have it testing every 5 minutes (from all locations - NA and Europe).

So far, Edgecast is the fastest. I just set up the VPS.net test this morning, so it's probably not performing optimally yet (but so far it's slower than the others). I'm probably going to let the checks run for a month or so to see what the long term results look like, but currently Edgecast looks like the best solution (especially if you need Asia POP's). It's more expensive per gig than the other two but you only pay for what you use (although VPS.net is the same if you want Asia).

MaxCDN and Edgecast have by far the best control panels. But it does appear that VPS will let you set up HTTPs origin pulls without charging any extra (I haven't tried it yet but it's an option when setting up the cdn), if that's important to you.

http://share.pingdom.com/banners/6dd53231

http://share.pingdom.com/banners/ad5670cc

http://share.pingdom.com/banners/ec2b0603

You can also check the speed of a number of different cdn's to your location at cloudharmony.com
    Last edited by TexasCrane; 03-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks Texas. Anyone with any Softlayer speed tests?

I did find this site that had several CDN speed tests:

http://www.cloudclimate.com/cdn-speed-test/

I've read on multiple occassions that Edgecast works well and read good reviews about MaxCDN as well. i've never used them personally though.
    Senior Network Architect
    Managed Network Services for Hosting Providers
    www.ipexperts.net
    | https://anycastvpn.net

Im using maxCDN with a wordpress site and so far so good

added bonus is the quality of the control panel.

whilst the price is good for the first 1tb it seems as though its still just over $100 for the next TB

at the moment though i'm happy with them

I've been fiddling with CloudFlare for the last few days to see how it handles in reference to using it as a CDN. So far, it's not been bad for even just the free account. Might be something worth looking into, especially with running a vBulletin board.
    Ryan G.

MaxCDN is pretty slow for asia. I used them about a week ago for a static page of my radio and most of my users complains about it being slow to load.

So, I moved back to cloudfront and everything is fast again.

I have also tried edgecast and its pretty impressive. Though its really expensive.

So far I have tried the Softlayer CDN (internap) and VPS.net CDN (level3). Both seem good my forum is faster in the speed tests, and I can't really tell the difference in performance between them. VPS.net is much cheaper, especially for the first 1TB so I guess I will stick with them.

Never got around to trying MaxCDN, I didn't like their time limitation they impose on using bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by hostseeker View Post
    So far I have tried the Softlayer CDN (internap) and VPS.net CDN (level3). Both seem good my forum is faster in the speed tests, and I can't really tell the difference in performance between them. VPS.net is much cheaper, especially for the first 1TB so I guess I will stick with them.

Never got around to trying MaxCDN, I didn't like their time limitation they impose on using bandwidth.
    The RackSpace Cloud has some competitive rates on Akamai if you're interested also. The best CDN imho is either Edgecast or Limelight.

As the title says I am looking for feedback on a CDN from those who have used MaxCDN, or Softlayer CDN, or VPS.net CDN (or similar CDN)

Usage:

A US based (with 99.5% of the users being US based) Vbulletin forum that has 300-400 simultaneous users active during most weekdays. The forum is hosted by StormonDemand by Liquidweb. Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!

Want to put images, javascript, and CSS on the CDN.

I am concerned about who has the best performance. Cost too is a factor, but not the major factor.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Just my opinion, but I would avoid vps.net, their support is pretty terrible.

Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!
    If you are interested, Liquid Web does in fact have a CDN, we are just currently in Beta Testing period. Simply ask your sales person and they will be able to set you up with a CDN account if you are still interested.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    If you are interested, Liquid Web does in fact have a CDN, we are just currently in Beta Testing period. Simply ask your sales person and they will be able to set you up with a CDN account if you are still interested.
    In fact I did ask about it but they did not have a web page to direct me to so I could evaluate it. I wasn't willing to try it without some detailed information.

I will wait until it comes out of beta to take a look, thank you for your response!

I can get you a speed test for MaxCDN/NetDNA if you are interested. We have a lot of new features being released. Let me know you saw this on webhostingtalk.

Just shoot me an email dgoodall @ netdna.com

Cheers,
    David

As far as speed goes the tests I ran at http://www.cloudclimate.com/cdn-speed-test/ shows that level3 to be among the fastest so I guess I will stick with the vps.net cdn for now. I have had it set up for about 5 days now and no problem.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Post CloudFlare and Vbulletin

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I've been fiddling with CloudFlare for the last few days to see how it handles in reference to using it as a CDN. So far, it's not been bad for even just the free account. Might be something worth looking into, especially with running a vBulletin board.
    Thanks. One thing I did want to highlight as an area of concern with Vbulletin users is that our IPs would show because we're a proxy. This can be fixed, however, with some quick changes to either VB or installing a mod on your server.

CloudFront was just average in my brief tests. I'm currently using Edgecast and I'm quite pleased with the speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    CloudFront was just average in my brief tests. I'm currently using Edgecast and I'm quite pleased with the speeds.
    Can you tell how much you pay for edgecast?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flyah View Post
    Can you tell how much you pay for edgecast?

Thanks
    I signed up for Edgecast via Speedyrails with pricing here: http://www.speedyrails.com/cdn/prices

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    I hope it is from Edgecast.

And i just heard ProCDN ( EdgeCast ) from Mediatemple is actually available for non (mt) customers as well. There rate were much cheaper then Speedyrails, although i am not sure if Rates are the same for (mt) and non (mt) customers.

I'm using maxCDN on my vbulletin forums works pretty good but sadly they have no network in Asia or so i notice now (I got a free account on maxcdn with vbseo). If i have users coming from Asia too which CDN service would you recommend? (mainly Singapore, Malaysia and Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by wat3v3r View Post
    I'm using maxCDN on my vbulletin forums works pretty good but sadly they have no network in Asia or so i notice now (I got a free account on maxcdn with vbseo). If i have users coming from Asia too which CDN service would you recommend? (mainly Singapore, Malaysia and Japan)
    I would review Level3's CDN. Their global presence in reference to content delivery is quite extensive. Akamai is would also be one to take a look at.
    Ryan G.

Good providers that had good connection in ASIA:

Akamai
    Limelight Networks
    Internap
    EdgeCast

All the above are NOT CHEAP but they are very very good. My total recommendation is EC and Akamai.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

^ Thanks for the above recommendations, I would check them out soon.

Hmm NOT CHEAP? we don't have much on CDN just static images and some jscripts of vbulletin and monthly bandwidth usage usually remains below 500gb. No attachments and no download service. How much you reckon would cost me then?

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Good providers that had good connection in ASIA:

Akamai
    Limelight Networks
    Internap
    EdgeCast

All the above are NOT CHEAP but they are very very good. My total recommendation is EC and Akamai.
    All of those providers are good quality but not cheap, I suppose it depends on how much traffic you push per month. If you do a large amount then it will certainly be worth it due to the better performance your Asian users will receive.
    Accelerated Hosting - From Constant Internet
    Automatically serving your website from the nearest server
    Get hosted on our global network! America / Europe / Asia

Hmm I'm confused now haha I'm using MaxCDN's 1Tb account for now and it's working good pushing like 2-4gb everyday so not a lot i guess? I would have sticked to Max if only they had servers in Asia :/

I'm looking at the speedyrails thing buut am confused as hell on this now xD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast