Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 60
  1. #1

    MaxCDN vs Softlayer CDN vs VPS.net CDN

    As the title says I am looking for feedback on a CDN from those who have used MaxCDN, or Softlayer CDN, or VPS.net CDN (or similar CDN)

    Usage:

    A US based (with 99.5% of the users being US based) Vbulletin forum that has 300-400 simultaneous users active during most weekdays. The forum is hosted by StormonDemand by Liquidweb. Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!

    Want to put images, javascript, and CSS on the CDN.

    I am concerned about who has the best performance. Cost too is a factor, but not the major factor.

    Thanks for any feedback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    33
    I'm currently testing MaxCDN, VPS.net (Level 3) and Speedyrails (edgecast). I'm using pingdom to pull a minified jquery file from my server. The cache control header is set to 24 hours and I have it testing every 5 minutes (from all locations - NA and Europe).

    So far, Edgecast is the fastest. I just set up the VPS.net test this morning, so it's probably not performing optimally yet (but so far it's slower than the others). I'm probably going to let the checks run for a month or so to see what the long term results look like, but currently Edgecast looks like the best solution (especially if you need Asia POP's). It's more expensive per gig than the other two but you only pay for what you use (although VPS.net is the same if you want Asia).

    MaxCDN and Edgecast have by far the best control panels. But it does appear that VPS will let you set up HTTPs origin pulls without charging any extra (I haven't tried it yet but it's an option when setting up the cdn), if that's important to you.

    http://share.pingdom.com/banners/6dd53231

    http://share.pingdom.com/banners/ad5670cc

    http://share.pingdom.com/banners/ec2b0603

    You can also check the speed of a number of different cdn's to your location at cloudharmony.com
    Last edited by TexasCrane; 03-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.

  3. #3
    Thanks Texas. Anyone with any Softlayer speed tests?

    I did find this site that had several CDN speed tests:

    http://www.cloudclimate.com/cdn-speed-test/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    I've read on multiple occassions that Edgecast works well and read good reviews about MaxCDN as well. i've never used them personally though.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  5. #5
    Im using maxCDN with a wordpress site and so far so good

    added bonus is the quality of the control panel.

    whilst the price is good for the first 1tb it seems as though its still just over $100 for the next TB

    at the moment though i'm happy with them

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Smiths Falls, ON
    Posts
    772
    I've been fiddling with CloudFlare for the last few days to see how it handles in reference to using it as a CDN. So far, it's not been bad for even just the free account. Might be something worth looking into, especially with running a vBulletin board.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    958
    MaxCDN is pretty slow for asia. I used them about a week ago for a static page of my radio and most of my users complains about it being slow to load.

    So, I moved back to cloudfront and everything is fast again.

    I have also tried edgecast and its pretty impressive. Though its really expensive.

  8. #8
    So far I have tried the Softlayer CDN (internap) and VPS.net CDN (level3). Both seem good my forum is faster in the speed tests, and I can't really tell the difference in performance between them. VPS.net is much cheaper, especially for the first 1TB so I guess I will stick with them.

    Never got around to trying MaxCDN, I didn't like their time limitation they impose on using bandwidth.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by hostseeker View Post
    So far I have tried the Softlayer CDN (internap) and VPS.net CDN (level3). Both seem good my forum is faster in the speed tests, and I can't really tell the difference in performance between them. VPS.net is much cheaper, especially for the first 1TB so I guess I will stick with them.

    Never got around to trying MaxCDN, I didn't like their time limitation they impose on using bandwidth.
    The RackSpace Cloud has some competitive rates on Akamai if you're interested also. The best CDN imho is either Edgecast or Limelight.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hostseeker View Post
    As the title says I am looking for feedback on a CDN from those who have used MaxCDN, or Softlayer CDN, or VPS.net CDN (or similar CDN)

    Usage:

    A US based (with 99.5% of the users being US based) Vbulletin forum that has 300-400 simultaneous users active during most weekdays. The forum is hosted by StormonDemand by Liquidweb. Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!

    Want to put images, javascript, and CSS on the CDN.

    I am concerned about who has the best performance. Cost too is a factor, but not the major factor.

    Thanks for any feedback.
    Just my opinion, but I would avoid vps.net, their support is pretty terrible.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by hostseeker View Post
    Wish Liquidweb had a CDN!
    If you are interested, Liquid Web does in fact have a CDN, we are just currently in Beta Testing period. Simply ask your sales person and they will be able to set you up with a CDN account if you are still interested.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    If you are interested, Liquid Web does in fact have a CDN, we are just currently in Beta Testing period. Simply ask your sales person and they will be able to set you up with a CDN account if you are still interested.
    In fact I did ask about it but they did not have a web page to direct me to so I could evaluate it. I wasn't willing to try it without some detailed information.

    I will wait until it comes out of beta to take a look, thank you for your response!

  13. #13
    I can get you a speed test for MaxCDN/NetDNA if you are interested. We have a lot of new features being released. Let me know you saw this on webhostingtalk.

    Just shoot me an email dgoodall @ netdna.com

    Cheers,
    David

  14. #14
    As far as speed goes the tests I ran at http://www.cloudclimate.com/cdn-speed-test/ shows that level3 to be among the fastest so I guess I will stick with the vps.net cdn for now. I have had it set up for about 5 days now and no problem.

    Thanks for everyone's replies.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    899

    Post CloudFlare and Vbulletin

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I've been fiddling with CloudFlare for the last few days to see how it handles in reference to using it as a CDN. So far, it's not been bad for even just the free account. Might be something worth looking into, especially with running a vBulletin board.
    Thanks. One thing I did want to highlight as an area of concern with Vbulletin users is that our IPs would show because we're a proxy. This can be fixed, however, with some quick changes to either VB or installing a mod on your server.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    CloudFront was just average in my brief tests. I'm currently using Edgecast and I'm quite pleased with the speeds.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    CloudFront was just average in my brief tests. I'm currently using Edgecast and I'm quite pleased with the speeds.
    Can you tell how much you pay for edgecast?

    Thanks

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by flyah View Post
    Can you tell how much you pay for edgecast?

    Thanks
    I signed up for Edgecast via Speedyrails with pricing here: http://www.speedyrails.com/cdn/prices

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    If you are interested, Liquid Web does in fact have a CDN, we are just currently in Beta Testing period. Simply ask your sales person and they will be able to set you up with a CDN account if you are still interested.
    I hope it is from Edgecast.

    And i just heard ProCDN ( EdgeCast ) from Mediatemple is actually available for non (mt) customers as well. There rate were much cheaper then Speedyrails, although i am not sure if Rates are the same for (mt) and non (mt) customers.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    I'm using maxCDN on my vbulletin forums works pretty good but sadly they have no network in Asia or so i notice now (I got a free account on maxcdn with vbseo). If i have users coming from Asia too which CDN service would you recommend? (mainly Singapore, Malaysia and Japan)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Smiths Falls, ON
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by wat3v3r View Post
    I'm using maxCDN on my vbulletin forums works pretty good but sadly they have no network in Asia or so i notice now (I got a free account on maxcdn with vbseo). If i have users coming from Asia too which CDN service would you recommend? (mainly Singapore, Malaysia and Japan)
    I would review Level3's CDN. Their global presence in reference to content delivery is quite extensive. Akamai is would also be one to take a look at.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,762
    Good providers that had good connection in ASIA:

    Akamai
    Limelight Networks
    Internap
    EdgeCast

    All the above are NOT CHEAP but they are very very good. My total recommendation is EC and Akamai.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    ^ Thanks for the above recommendations, I would check them out soon.

    Hmm NOT CHEAP? we don't have much on CDN just static images and some jscripts of vbulletin and monthly bandwidth usage usually remains below 500gb. No attachments and no download service. How much you reckon would cost me then?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Good providers that had good connection in ASIA:

    Akamai
    Limelight Networks
    Internap
    EdgeCast

    All the above are NOT CHEAP but they are very very good. My total recommendation is EC and Akamai.
    All of those providers are good quality but not cheap, I suppose it depends on how much traffic you push per month. If you do a large amount then it will certainly be worth it due to the better performance your Asian users will receive.
    Accelerated Hosting - From Constant Internet
    Automatically serving your website from the nearest server
    Get hosted on our global network! America / Europe / Asia

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    Hmm I'm confused now haha I'm using MaxCDN's 1Tb account for now and it's working good pushing like 2-4gb everyday so not a lot i guess? I would have sticked to Max if only they had servers in Asia :/

    I'm looking at the speedyrails thing buut am confused as hell on this now xD

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    958
    I contacted Edgecast directly and they turned me down. looks like they don't want small time websites lol.

    Anyway, I have emailed Speedyrails, (the Edgecast reseller) and they are very helpful. they replied 2AM on a Sunday with my free trial. cool!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    Ah great guess i'll send them a lil email too now.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    211
    I've been using MaxCDN for over a year at this point and still love it. Having a PULL advantage instead of having to PUSH information is a huge help when updating sites etc. We've not had any complaints regarding speed.
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    I would've loved to stay with MaxCDN but the part of having no servers in Asia makes me "iffy" lol Specially since a major part of our traffic comes from Asia.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    80
    I tried both MaxCDN and VPS.NET CDN, based on my own tests VPS.NET network was A LOT better.

    The only problem MaxCDN has is that their network in asia is very slow compared to VPS.NET

    Then i compared VPS.NET to Akamai, and Akamai won.

    Go with VPS.NET or Akamai. i would not recommend MaxCDN at all.

    If you want the full reports, (country by country speed) just PM so i can email them for you.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    I am pretty sure that MaxCDN doesn't have a presence in Asia, so that would be the reason you didn't see good performance there. More than likely you were being directed to edge nodes in California.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcon View Post
    I tried both MaxCDN and VPS.NET CDN, based on my own tests VPS.NET network was A LOT better.

    The only problem MaxCDN has is that their network in asia is very slow compared to VPS.NET

    Then i compared VPS.NET to Akamai, and Akamai won.

    Go with VPS.NET or Akamai. i would not recommend MaxCDN at all.

    If you want the full reports, (country by country speed) just PM so i can email them for you.
    Purely for curiosity reasons, did you have the APAC regions enabled for our VPS.NET Level3 CDN? It's good to hear that you, for the most part, did have a pleasant experience, and I always enjoy hearing any sort of feedback we can get.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcon View Post
    I tried both MaxCDN and VPS.NET CDN, based on my own tests VPS.NET network was A LOT better.

    The only problem MaxCDN has is that their network in asia is very slow compared to VPS.NET

    Then i compared VPS.NET to Akamai, and Akamai won.

    Go with VPS.NET or Akamai. i would not recommend MaxCDN at all.

    If you want the full reports, (country by country speed) just PM so i can email them for you.
    Would you mind to share how much faster in your comparison?
    Aflexi - Unifying Capacity
    Start Your CDN Network and Start Profiting!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    195
    I can vouch for MaxCDN, they're pretty fast and the support is fast! (At least to me, I talk to the main sales manager via Skype)

    Disclaimer: They gave me free 1TB worth of bandwidth last year, who doesn't want free stuffs without any catch right? Tried them and use them on a couple of WP sites. Works well.
    Rg Enzon, Founder & Designer @ Play Technica
    Building user interfaces for humans.

  35. #35
    MaxCDN is a nogo if you're in Asia. End of discussion for us.

    SoftLayer is still tops in pretty much everything they get into. RackSpace quality at much smarter pricing.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,583
    Level3s CDN setup smokes maxcdn and every other one I've split test it against, no reason to even compare, level3 is clearly the best option as they own their own networks.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Level3s CDN setup smokes maxcdn and every other one I've split test it against, no reason to even compare, level3 is clearly the best option as they own their own networks.


    Sadly, L3 gets smoked bigtime in the cost department. Seriously, who uses them except the largest enterprises? Their connectivity in Asia is fine too, but not anywhere close to the western markets.

    I still have to find a true challenger to SoftLayer.

  38. #38
    Have you considered Voxel (voxel.net/voxcast-cdn)?

    Sorry, it'd be a link but I'm not yet allowed to.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    201
    how is bitgravity dot com as a cdn provider

    has any one tried them
    david .c
    web hosting india , www.easy2host.in
    windows , linux -- webhosting / reseller hosting

  40. #40
    Don't forget CacheFly. They are a great provider as well.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maxcdn vs Edgecast vs No CDN : my tests and experience
    By massa974 in forum Specialty Hosting and Markets
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM
  2. $34.95 - 1 TERABYTE CDN Bandwidth from VPS.NET
    By IGobyTerry in forum Other Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
  3. $34.95 - 1 TERABYTE CDN Bandwidth from VPS.NET
    By IGobyTerry in forum Other Hosting Offers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
  4. CDN promo - best CDN prices !!! custom packages available
    By bummer6666 in forum Other Hosting Offers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM
  5. WEBHOST: Run CDN with Aflexi CDN software instantly for $0.99/mo!!
    By wheimeng in forum Software & Scripts Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •