VPSLatch VPS down 17 hours and counting

Well, As I was planning on writing my first month review of VPS with VPSLatch, my VPs went down. And has been down for 17 hours that I know of.

I raised the problem at 03/21/2011 00:06 (Which I assume is PST)

Response from VPSlatch at 03/21/2011 01:08
    Hi,

We really apologize for the inconvenience caused. There is problem in the main node and we are working on this issue in high priority to rectify the problem. Kindly be patient for some more time and we will update you once the issue is fixed.

Cheers,

Diana.
    VPSLatch Technical Support
    I asked again at 03/21/2011 07:40

Response: 03/21/2011 07:56
    Hi,

Still our D.C our admins are working in main node server to debug the raid array issue. We are sure it will be back fine within few hours. We understand your situation very well.

Cheers,

Blake.

Ticket number: 780443

And see screenshot what shows when you login to client area
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 6.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	18763

17hours? Way too long.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Greetings,

Thanks for hosting with us, I hope you are doing well. UKManaged1 is currently having some issues with the RAID array and rest assured our datacenter technicians are on top of it. Issues related with hardware are unpredictable and out of our control. We are doing everything in our ability to get this done as soon as humanly possible.

Any clients affected by this outage will be offered compensation and reimbursement. We sincerely apologize about the inconvenience caused.

We will continue to update the network status page with further updates.

You have been very patient and we appreciate it very much.

- Adam

I'm sure VPSLatch will get you sorted out promptly, RAID arrays can break. This can happen to any provider, managed or not. I've had a great experience with VPSLatch, the support has also been great. I've also never encountered such issue with them, this is a very rare issue.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarin1993 View Post
    I'm sure VPSLatch will get you sorted out promptly, RAID arrays can break. This can happen to any provider, managed or not. I've had a great experience with VPSLatch, the support has also been great. I've also never encountered such issue with them, this is a very rare issue.

Best of luck.
    Aarin,

Thank you for your support, we appreciate it very much and it puts a on our faces to see that our hard work is not going unnoticed. Yes that is correct, RAID arrays can break at times but we are always on top of it and we have monitoring infrastructure that alerts support techs whenever one were to fail. Usually if a drive were to die in an array it would be as simple as swapping out the drives (with no downtime), but in this case it's a bit different.

On behalf of VPSLatch we appreciate the patience of any clients affected in this unfortunate outage.

Yours faithfully,

Adam

'm sure Adam will take care you, and will get you sorted out ASAP, RAID arrays can go bad or break at any given minute or second and there is nothing possible able to know when this is going to happen. We also had one luckily it was on a unused node that was just online for testing purposes and to trial out our new services coming soon and this happen, and it was a brand new node that we just built and had shipped out, This can happen to any provider though. It's great to see your getting responses, and getting support and answers most company's would ignore until it's fixed and then tell you they where held up fixing it.

Kudos to Adam,

-Shane.
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Aarin1993 View Post

Best of luck.
    I do agree with you.

Problems can occur any where, as this is internet world, and nothing is 100% secure.

and the thing I like from them is they keep people updated.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionNET View Post
    'm sure Adam will take care you, and will get you sorted out ASAP, RAID arrays can go bad or break at any given minute or second and there is nothing possible able to know when this is going to happen. We also had one luckily it was on a unused node that was just online for testing purposes and to trial out our new services coming soon and this happen, and it was a brand new node that we just built and had shipped out, This can happen to any provider though. It's great to see your getting responses, and getting support and answers most company's would ignore until it's fixed and then tell you they where held up fixing it.

Kudos to Adam,

-Shane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin00 View Post
    I do agree with you.

Problems can occur any where, as this is internet world, and nothing is 100% secure.

and the thing I like from them is they keep people updated.
    Thank you so much for the support.

It's the kind words from people like yourselves that continue to give us the positive energy to continue to do our best.

We are very thankful that our clients understand that these issues are out of our control and can happen with every host, and we are doing the best in our ability to keep clients updated with the progress.

Much thanks,

Adam

Any time Adam, I respect your team, and yourself with what you do, There isn't many providers that are growing daily, and that will help you as much as you do for your clients...

Kudos to you, and your team!

If you ever do need assistance or anything buddy, you can always give me a shout at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help you out buddy!

-Shane.
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Sorry to hear your experience...
    but these hardware issues are always there, no matter what host you are with. Difference is some provider can recover rather quickly compensate these kind of mishaps (which are not their faults even) and VPSLatch is one of them.

So you ll have to stay calm, I am sure at the end of the day you ll come out as much satisfied and happy client of VPSLatch

I am also on that node and to be honest the support has been pretty rubbish.

I had to force out the truth out of the support guys when it first went down, I got standard 'we are restarting the node and it will be back in a few minutes' the first two times I messages them. The third time I asked for the truth and was told it will 'be back soon' - this was over 15 hours ago.

I sent a reply message in the ticket 90 minutes ago asking for an update and have not had a reply.

Incidentally I got the same copied and pasted message from 'Blake' (we all know they don't use their real names - who are they trying to kid).

Let me make my point for the avoidance of doubt: I 100% accept it is an unpredictable hardware problem. But the resolution time and communication is not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by robtuk View Post
    Let me make my point for the avoidance of doubt: I 100% accept it is an unpredictable hardware problem. But the resolution time and communication is not good enough.
    Let me ask, are you wanting enterprise level service from your budget host?
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Incidentally I got the same copied and pasted message from 'Blake' (we all know they don't use their real names - who are they trying to kid).
    The first relation that must be in between you and your provider is trust..
    but your words above say it all, that how much do you trust them.

just leave support aside, they might be little off-track due to that hardware issue, but you must be sure before you blame anyone. (manners)

as i don't agree on this ....
    we all know they don't use their real names - who are they trying to kid).
    No. I don't know, its only you who knows.
    Last edited by Fakher; 03-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.

You get what you pay for. They lease their servers and are at the mercy of others unlike providers who actually invest in hardware. Think about it they have no assets in terms of hardware which to me means they go disappear over night and not lose assets since they have none. I don't expect Gucci when I shop at Wal-Mart.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by mitgib View Post
    Let me ask, are you wanting enterprise level service from your budget host?
    No. I want them to meet the timescales for ticket replies that they choose publish. Price is irrelevant to that.

Quote Originally Posted by sheba59 View Post
    You get what you pay for. They lease their servers and are at the mercy of others unlike providers who actually invest in hardware. Think about it they have no assets in terms of hardware which to me means they go disappear over night and not lose assets since they have none. I don't expect Gucci when I shop at Wal-Mart.

TIA
    Sheba59,

I'm still waiting for proof that you were a customer with us like I requested a couple months back. You never responded back with a ticket ID with proof that you were an actual client. It would be very much appreciated if you let us run our own business the way we want to run it and focus on your own territory. Whoever is telling you such information is clearly misleading you, as we do have leased and colocated (owned) hardware with our upstream provider. You don't know our internal workings nor agreements with our partners, so there is no need for you to act like you do know them.

@Rob, I hope you saw some recent improvement into our support department as we promised previously. Today we are flooded with tickets due with the UK outage, so there is an unusual high ticket flow. We promise to keep you posted with the status, please refer to network issues for the most up to date status.
    Last edited by VL-Adam; 03-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.

No. I want them to meet the timescales for ticket replies that they choose publish. Price is irrelevant to that.
    yah but when you placed the the order at that time the price was a big concern....
    and you are still with VPSLatch as you ll not get that kind of service and support elsewhere, and you know that

Adam,

I don't owe you anything. You spoke rudely to me via PM making low blows accusing me of things which is why you won't get a reply from me. Your prices are way too low to be successful in the long haul so I'd recommend going and getting a college degree and running the numbers again. Would you like me to reply with numbers showing how it doesn't add up? I'd be more then happy to but it will make you look badly. I'd suggest going and focusing on your business and rethinking things as your tone with me will get you no where. I'm probably old enough to be your parent so don't act like you know something I don't know.

TIA
    Last edited by sheba59; 03-21-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Adam,

I don't owe you anything. You spoke rudely to me via PM making low blows accusing me of things which is why you won't get a reply from me. Your prices are way too low to be successful in the long haul so I'd recommend going and getting a college degree and running the numbers again. Would you like me to reply with numbers showing how it doesn't add up? I'd be more then happy to but it will make you look badly. I'd suggest going and focusing on your business and rethinking things as your tone with me will get you no where. I'm probably old enough to be your father so don't act like you know something I don't know.

TIA
    ok now, exactly what i always said,
    people are posting fake reviews.......
    example and proof of this is the post above, sheba is posting all this about VPSLatch with no proof .....

This now totaly against the rules you are posting about the service that you never used sheba.

other than that you are writing in a public community, so i guess your manners and behavior must me like a sophisticated person.
    but as you claimed
    I'm probably old enough to be your father so don't act like you know something I don't know.
    TIA
    I am sorry but your words and antiquates depicts otherwise.....
    Last edited by Fakher; 03-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fakher View Post
    The first relation that must be in between you and your provider is trust..
    but your words above say it all, that how much do you trust them.

just leave support aside, they might be little off-track due to that hardware issue, but you must be sure before you blame anyone. (manners)
    yah but when you placed the the order at that time the price was a big concern....
    and you are still with VPSLatch as you ll not get that kind of service and support elsewhere, and you know that
    What on earth are you rambling about? You don't know how much I pay VPS Latch, how many VPS I have with them, nor with how many different providers. You are the one who keeps asking people for proof of things - so I will be willing to answer your questions when YOU can provide proof of what my services are and with who.

I suspect I will be waiting a long time.

Incidentally, I still think it is amusing that when your VPS Latch node was offline for an extended period of time, you were nowhere to be seen on here.

Quote Originally Posted by VL-Adam View Post
    @Rob, I hope you saw some recent improvement into our support department as we promised previously. Today we are flooded with tickets due with the UK outage, so there is an unusual high ticket flow. We promise to keep you posted with the status, please refer to network issues for the most up to date status.
    Yes, there have certainly been improvements recently... until this happened. Still not had a reply on the ticket I mentioned (220446) for three hours now - all I would like is an ETA of resolution.

I don't automatically expect compensation either (although I wouldn't say no of course!) because I know the SLA doesn't cover hardware faults. After all, I wouldn't want enterprise service on a budget provider, would I "mitgib"

What on earth are you rambling about? You don't know how much I pay VPS Latch, how many VPS I have with them, nor with how many different providers. You are the one who keeps asking people for proof of things - so I will be willing to answer your questions when YOU can provide proof of what my services are and with who.
    I am not talking about your all of services here as i don't care of them. I was talking about those with VPSLatch.

to get to know this one must have common sense.

Incidentally, I still think it is amusing that when your VPS Latch node was offline for an extended period of time, you were nowhere to be seen on here.
    of course i was not posting here anything, what would you expect from me to post?,
    all that a typical client does after like just bad 3-5 hours that he has to bear with his provider facing a downtime,
    well i can't do that forgetting my past 6 months with no downtime and and with the support that VPSLatch were providing me.

Well sorry I don't want to be a typical client like i said above.

Well sorry I don't want to be a typical client like i said above.
    Don't worry, I don't think anybody thinks you are a typical client.

Don't worry, I don't think anybody thinks you are a typical client.
    try to practice it for yourself,
    instead of just making me feel better

I hope one day you ll be able to say the same for yourself

Yes, there have certainly been improvements recently... until this happened. Still not had a reply on the ticket I mentioned (220446) for three hours now - all I would like is an ETA of resolution.

I don't automatically expect compensation either (although I wouldn't say no of course!) because I know the SLA doesn't cover hardware faults. After all, I wouldn't want enterprise service on a budget provider, would I "mitgib"
    Thank you for your reply Rob, I'm glad you're seeing improvements in support as I seen you were having some concerns about it previously. I assure you we are doing our best to improve weak areas in our company - and I hope you realize our recent major changes. I assure you the delays with support today are only temporary due with the high ticket flow from the UK outage. Once everything is settled things should be back to normal.

I will update your support ticket shortly and provide a rough ETA after I gather some information from the NOC.

You have every right to expect enterprise service from us, we certainly don't want to be classified as a "budget provider" since the level of service we provide is in no way what a budget provider would generally provide. All of you have every right and reason to be frustrated with us and we will take full responsibility for what happened here.

Thanks for the update Adam, both here and by private email

ok, people, let's get back on track here. No pointing of fingers or reviews or whatever. The node has been down for nearly 31 hours. I'm glad the pop-up has been updated with some more information.

Can we have some specific information what is exactly wrong, and a realistic ETA on WHEN it will be fixed. My main website is on there, therefore zero income for me, I've lost sales and revenue.

The support has been good until this happened. People like to be updated.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by VL-Adam View Post
    Thank you so much for the support.

It's the kind words from people like yourselves that continue to give us the positive energy to continue to do our best.

We are very thankful that our clients understand that these issues are out of our control and can happen with every host, and we are doing the best in our ability to keep clients updated with the progress.

Much thanks,

Adam
    You are always welcome.
    Because support is always necessary for those who work hard, so I am just doing whats right.

Was again searching for a new VPS host and had VPSlatch on my list to look at, so was coming back to see if the reviews were still good, and if they still were offering sign-up discounts.

I left Steadfast because of thier epic failures to properly migrate. They had been good to that point, but I had only dealt with Carl before then. It must have grown fast.

So, 31 hours seems like and awefully long downtime. I'll keep watching, but this isn't the news I was looking for. *Sigh*

It seems that their server are back online.

Just to report that my website monitor came alive at 08:22 GMT. A total of 32 and a bit hours of downtime.

Thank you Adam and the rest of the team, I'm sure it must have been just as frustrating as it was for us.