Thread: SpamAssassin

* SpamAssassin

SpamAssassin™: Reject mail at SMTP time if the spam score is greater than this number. (Positive or negative, single decimal points allowed.)

What score is recommened? Currently it is set to 15.

What do you recommend? Why?

Please if you don't mind explain how this works.

Thanks,
    s-f-r-j

I recommend a score not less than 6....Explaining about its working is difficult. Spamassassin will check the emails and assign a score depending on itz spam content. The value will be zero if it identifies the message as not spam, value increases as the spam content increases.

A message with a spam score above 6 is normally spam. So I recommend this value.

Good Luck

Spamassassin is bloatware. I've seen it used to bring down servers quite easily. Check out assp (assp.sourceforge.net), you'll be quite a bit more impressed.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Spamassassin is bloatware. I've seen it used to bring down servers quite easily. Check out assp (assp.sourceforge.net), you'll be quite a bit more impressed.
    Maybe a poorly configured SpamAssassin. I don't see the reason to introduce a single point of failure into mail delivery.

To the OP:

The value depends on how you have your spam assassin configured.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Maybe a poorly configured SpamAssassin.
    Spamassassin allows users to create custom 'rules' which can very easily take down a server. I've seen it happen far too many times.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Spamassassin allows users to create custom 'rules' which can very easily take down a server. I've seen it happen far too many times.
    On the several hundred unique servers I work with a year, I've seen it happen maybe 3 times since I've been in business.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

assp is about the same bloat as spamassasin in my experience.

Imo the biggest bloatware on an email server is clamav/clamd doing it's virus-scanning....
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Higher is more safer. If you are planning to set to 6, then better not to block messages greater than 6, but instead put them in a junk folder.

The longer spamassassin runs to scan for spam, the more accurate it is. It keeps track of the information in bayes. The scoring depends on the matched rules specified in spamassassin. For instance, if the email matches the rule SPF_FAIL (meaing the sender host does not match with the SPF record set in the sender's domain DNS), it would increase the scoring by 0.90.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    Higher is more safer. If you are planning to set to 6, then better not to block messages greater than 6, but instead put them in a junk folder.

The longer spamassassin runs to scan for spam, the more accurate it is. It keeps track of the information in bayes. The scoring depends on the matched rules specified in spamassassin. For instance, if the email matches the rule SPF_FAIL (meaing the sender host does not match with the SPF record set in the sender's domain DNS), it would increase the scoring by 0.90.
    Thank you sir for explination.

s-f-r-j