View Poll Results: In general do you "stick with the winners", or believe everyone has great potential?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with the winners

7 36.84%
  • Everyone (Yes, everyone) has great potential

12 63.16%

Exclamation Hot Topic! Regarding "Stoo-pid" Customers and "Incompetent" Providers

• FYI: There are ~7 questions up for discussion. Please, enjoy helping to answer any number of them.
    • (((This post is generally much more positive, and less inflammatory, than the title)))
    • I am a hosting consumer, and do not work for any hosting related company.

I was dealing with people more than usual tonight. ~2 hours ago, I was thinking "Wow, I really do enjoy helping people."
    The last hour didn't go nearly as well, so "UpDownUp" came crashing back down. (thud!)

A "Scientific" Fact:
    • Less than half (< 50%) of all people have above average intelligence or ability.

>>> If you are "above average", how do you generally (honestly) feel about-or deal with-the other half?

In the context of "Running a Web Hosting Business"

Providers:
    • Is it a challenge for you to deal with "Stupid Customers" and avoid thinking of them in negative terms?
    • At the end of the day, do you tend to remember the 2 or 3 worst experiences, when most of the others were actually pretty good?
    • Any advice on how to develop "saint-like" levels of patience?

Customers:
    • Have you ever suspected your provider thinks you are stupid, even if you are not?
    • Have you ever noticed you seem to know more about the servers' problem than the help-desk person?

In the context of "Reality and Life" + possibly related to Web Hosting:
    • Some people are "really dumb" in certain ways, and "amazingly brilliant" at other times.
    • This is not a simple subject, even for "above average" individuals.

In general do you "stick with the winners", or believe everyone (yes everyone) has great potential?
    Last edited by UpdownUp; 03-21-2011 at 01:18 AM.

I can educate anyone, stupid or smart. It's the rude ones I don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    for sure when people arent willing to be civil its really hard to educate them on technology

Quote Originally Posted by UpdownUp View Post
    A "Scientific" Fact:
    • Less than half (< 50%) of all people have above average intelligence or ability.
    Is scientific in quotes because it's not scientific? Do you have any basis for this fact, or is it something you made up because it sounds good?

Is it a challenge for you to deal with "Stupid Customers" and avoid thinking of them in negative terms?
    It is a challenge to communicate concepts to a customer who has no familiarity with the subject mater. This doesn't make the customer stupid, and I would have no reason to think of them in negative terms.

Furthermore, I think the way you handle your customers, "stupid" or not, is a defining characteristic of your company.

I'm am frequently on both sides, I often do something stupid which I know is stupid and know the person on the other end of the phone is thinking why'd he do that? Then later in the support role (not hosting) I think wow this customer is the really stupid “You're complaining about your pc because you unplugged it, to plug-in a heater?”

I am concerned it's a bit of an IT industry trait, like saying I didn't go through years of training just to talk to people.

A "Scientific" Fact:
    Less than half (< 50%) of all people have above average intelligence or ability.

>>> If you are "above average", how do you generally (honestly) feel about-or deal with-the other half?

Thats not true...

Averages are generally calculated on MEAN average, and if we utilise the IQ system, some results will have greater densitys than others. I'll show below.

IQ Number of people
    80 10
    84 15
    86 35
    92 60
    102 12
    104 11

This gives an average IQ of 90.61538462
    And so the number of people above the "Average IQ" are 73/143

Or... 51%

Just an example, and a quick demonstration as to which you band you qualify

"Is it a challenge for you to deal with "Stupid Customers" and avoid thinking of them in negative terms?"

I've never thought of anyone as stupid, but for managed services we only take on clients when we fully understand their needs, can communicate effectively with them, etc. A lot of problems (angry posts) noted on these boards tend to boil down to an issue with poor communication. If a client isn't willing to get on the phone that's a clear sign to us that we don't want to sell them a managed server. I'd rather deal with 100 clients that I know are getting exactly what they want than 400 who we can't understand and end up not being 100% satisfied.

Communication is everything in this business.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com • 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Thanks all, for the interesting, and informative answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    Yes, being rude almost never helps anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Digg View Post
    Averages are generally calculated on MEAN average, and if we utilise the IQ system, some results will have greater densitys than others.
    I don't know about intelligence, but 99% of people have more than the average number of legs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJohnson View Post
    Is scientific in quotes because it's not scientific?
    You passed the test Mike; I was checking if anyone was smart enough to notice.

Everyone may have potential, but I certainly have zero tolerance for ignorance in either the provider or customer world, any more. I'll put up with a little bit, but after a point, I just say no more.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

[LIST]
    Providers:
    • Is it a challenge for you to deal with "Stupid Customers" and avoid thinking of them in negative terms?
    • At the end of the day, do you tend to remember the 2 or 3 worst experiences, when most of the others were actually pretty good?
    • Any advice on how to develop "saint-like" levels of patience?
    I'll often think of them in negative terms and not like them if they are both stupid *and* inpolite. Usually I'll still be polite and friendly, as, after all, they're paying for me to help them. It's not my good grace, it's what I'm getting my money for. So even my workmates had a lot of fun when I looked at the phone display said "oh that assshole" and the moment I pick up I'm friendly and helpful anyway.
    I don't think it's fake or anything as long as I stick to the technical stuff.
    Just the same if they cross some border of assholedness I surely won't waste a second more than what is needed. Because in that case this time could also be (better) spent helping other people.

I've done quite a few years of end user support in my life and didn't really mind it too much in the hindsight. Some years later, I remember funny idiots and smart people with curious questions just alike, and of course the smart people make it worth!

About patience:
    Sometimes people WILL be so clueless and stupid that you can't just keep your temper.
    I found it helpful to have a mobile phone, walk over to the printer and get a few sheets of paper.
    Slowly tear them to stripes until you don't want to kill the user any more.
    This works!!!

In the end the end users complained when I switched jobs because they didnt have anyone around helping them
    The other team members just couldn't keep friendly / helpful.
    Last edited by wartungsfenster; 04-20-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

i like people teaching giving them knowledge many people are having zero knowledge and some of them desperately want to learn on how to earn money online and in this need they face many teachers