Live chat or no live chat

Was thinking about adding live chat. I spend a lot of time at my computer though it often varies. I would think that if your not there to answer chat "when" it opens its not much good (probably bad). There is nothing that annoys me more than live chat not being manned.
    Also I was wondering what live chat is best. there seems to be a lot of options available and most offer a free trial. Any Suggestions?
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

I find those live chat modules that "pops up" and plays a sound to be extremely annoying. If you do want to go with live chat, it should be as least intrusive as possible to the overall user experience - meaning, just having a live chat button is enough.

If no one's there to man the chat, you can set them to say "not online" so users can just leave a message instead.

My concern is response time. I've not done business with companies that you cannot talk to (Including with their live chat). Not answering their phone would be number one.

Thanks for your (quick) response
    IwebNews.net

I would actually recommend having live chat as an option for your visitors to communicate with you. It can be used for sales, billing, and even support. If you are not able to keep live chat online 24/7 then specify the hours when it is available. When your live chat is offline, they could leave a message.

ProvideSupport is a good and affordable live chat software, many hosts use it.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Thanks for the tip,

I'll add them to my list of potential services.
    IwebNews.net

Do you consider for a free or a commercial live chat solution?
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

it doesn't matter if visitors will just have to talk to a bot.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    I find those live chat modules that "pops up" and plays a sound to be extremely annoying. If you do want to go with live chat, it should be as least intrusive as possible to the overall user experience - meaning, just having a live chat button is enough.

If no one's there to man the chat, you can set them to say "not online" so users can just leave a message instead.
    This isn't always true. We are using SnapEngage for our live support needs and we found it, not only unobtrusive but really useful, increasing our conversions.
    Last edited by Duplika; 03-21-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Added SnapEngage link
    DuplikaHosting en Argentina made with love
    Trusted by more than 4000 customers since 2005.

Live Chat does give a boost to your sale, we have a experience on it. you should try and see the difference.
    VPS Hosting | Premium Web Hosting Service In India
    -----------------------------------
    India's Fastest Growing Premium Web Hosting and Domain Registration Service Provider

Quote Originally Posted by LVPSHosting View Post
    Do you consider for a free or a commercial live chat solution?
    I certainly do not mind paying if it increases my sales. I would not be happy with a bot as this is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve (availability).
    Answering the phone, email and even PM's here I think is a reflection of how fast you are going to get help if needed. If I send an email to Sales and do not hear back from them for 24-48 hours I've most likely found another company who answered their phone (or live chat) and bought the product I wanted.
    IwebNews.net

You should try livezilla
    VPS Hosting | Premium Web Hosting Service In India
    -----------------------------------
    India's Fastest Growing Premium Web Hosting and Domain Registration Service Provider

We are looking strongly in to LiveHelpNow after reading the review of it on Top Ten Reviews and will be testing it out shortly. The reason we are interested in it is because of it's smart phone support. We can give our sales and tech support teams accounts, and they immediately receive texts on their cells when they're away from their desks. Live chat software can definitely assist in providing product knowledge to customers, and can help with closing sales if used properly. Response time is CRITICAL. Potential customers do not like waiting. Typical wait times should be under 30 seconds. Also, look over your chats afterwards. It will help you make pre-defined replies with common questions and answers, which will speed up your responses to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    +1

I can't tell you how many times I've left a merchants site simply because of the annoying "hey wanna talk" pop-up.
    hi

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lwdvo View Post
    +1

I can't tell you how many times I've left a merchants site simply because of the annoying "hey wanna talk" pop-up.
    +2. They can be annoying, and can also be a pain to close. A simple link or small image at the top of each page is clean and easy way to go about offering assistance.

I would recommend Liveperson, It's worth the $100/month for sure!
    Jon Black

Question

Quote Originally Posted by eDedi View Post
    Here is the link to the comparison of live chat software: live-chat-support-software-review.toptenreviews.com
    LiveHelpNow shows up as $21/ month, however it is only $9/month for the chat portion of the suite. Not sure why Liveperson charges $91 more per month.

Quote Originally Posted by eDedi View Post
    Most that I've looked at are between $15-$20 per month for one operator. $100 seems a bit pricey.
    IwebNews.net

yes i would say no live chat unless you plan to support it, most people offer live chat but dont support it which never a good sight

WHMCS has a live chat option that works well and was easy to install. I think I paid $89 for the license.

you can also take leaseweb version of live chat plugin (WHMCS) at just $6.95/month
    24xservice - Exclusive Deals - 24x7 Real Staff for Support
    http://www.24xservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATD TELECOM View Post
    +2. They can be annoying, and can also be a pain to close. A simple link or small image at the top of each page is clean and easy way to go about offering assistance.
    Agreed! Nothing worse that a "Need some Help?" popup box getting in your way.

A simple button with a online/offline feature is enough.

I agree I certainly would not want something to pop up with out someone wanting to use it. SO having a place to click would be preferable.
    I'm really leaning toward trying a trial version to see if it improves my conversion rate.
    IwebNews.net

Well I installed livehelpnow (Thanks ATD) and really like the features. They gave me a 30 day trial which should be plenty of time to see if this helps with my conversion rate.
    I'll report back with the results.
    Thanks again for all your replies
    IwebNews.net

Let us know how it works for you. Im always interested in learning about new/better tools.

If you have WHMCS you can get Live Help Messenger from them for $9.95 a month. They seem to be good.

http://livehelp.stardevelop.com/

Everyone has their own optinion on live chat software, however, live chat software can be extremely useful, but it can also be extremely annoying.

If you are looking for a stable, easily customizeable, and cheap(free) livechat software than I recoment LiveZilla. LiveZilla is just about as professional you can get without paying a single cent. Has site tracking, geoID, remote assistance, and a few great other features.

If you have the money to spend than I recomend Kayako. Kayako is extremely full featured, but it comes with a price... an extremely high price of that.

Also, instead of actual live chat softawre there are also automated chat agents, justhost uses and example of this. The automated chat agents can give users a special discount when they go to leave a page. All options are configured in an admin panel so you can set any promo or discount you like.

These are just a few options you can use, but like I said live chat can help if users need quick support, but you have to know how to use them. Annoying "can I help you" adds scrolling down from the top of the website become annoying, very fast.

Checking them out
    Thanks
    IwebNews.net