Configure domain for Yahoo Email and separate web hosting

I am setting up a domain for my mother-in-law's business, and it is slightly more complicated than previous sites I have set up (this one requires email separately from web hosting). I am not very knowledgeable with DNS, and I am stumped with the configuration.

My situation:
    * The domain name was registered through Yahoo Small Business.
    * Email hosting was purchased through Yahoo Small Business so we could have myname@example.com.
    * Web hosting was not purchased through Yahoo because I already have hosting through ASPnix that I want to use.
    * I would like to host the content through ASPnix and still allow the myname@example.com email address to work through Yahoo.
    * I have access to manage the DNS configuration for the domain on both Yahoo and ASPnix.

So far I have updated the Yahoo configuration to point to the ASPnix name servers. So, I can now view my custom content, but myname@example.com no longer works. From the research I have done, I think I need to add an MX entry on ASPnix to point to yahoo. If that is correct, I do not know what values (or how to obtain the values needed) to use in the MX entry. If that is not correct, I do not know how to configure this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TYIA!

try setting your spf records and rdns settings to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by PHead1223 View Post
    From the research I have done, I think I need to add an MX entry on ASPnix to point to yahoo. If that is correct, I do not know what values (or how to obtain the values needed) to use in the MX entry. If that is not correct, I do not know how to configure this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TYIA!
    You're actually correct!

Since you updated your nameservers for domain.com to ASPnix, everything related to domain.com goes to ASPnix.

When email is sent to domain.com it is going to be delivered to ASPnix.

You need to tell ASPnix not to handle email for domain.com, rather tell it that Yahoo is handling the email.

You need to ask Yahoo customer service what the MX records should be set to. Only they will be able to help.

Can I ask why not setup an email server at ASPnix?

I wonder why don't you want use all-in-one web hosting solution from the company you have web hosting from?
    That will save your money and allow have what you really need.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I did not purchase an all in one solution because my mother-in-law purchased the domain and email separately, and I already had web hosting for some other sites with some extra availability I could use.

Yahoo did not let me know of the MX information, but they suggested repointing the nameservers back to the Yahoo defaults. I then created A records for www, ftp, etc. that point to the IP of my server on ASPnix. That made it work.

Thanks all!

Nice to hear its solved now.

Normally you need to create MX records to point mail server of mail service provider.
    They just need to create A records, CNAME to point website to hosting server.