VPS package upgrade or consider Litespeed

Hey guys (and girls)

Me and a friend currently have a VPS @ Hostdime UK and were quite happy with them (Great support!).

Today we ran out of ram for the first time, and it actually came as quite a shock, since the VPS was rebooted the day before (and had prior to the reboot runned perfectly for nearly a month without any problems).

So we been looking at our options here, to avoid this situation again.

Since were currently at Hostdime's smallest VPS package with 768 mb ram, we could just upgrade it to 1 GB for 10 punds more.

or

We could invest in a Litespeed license (VPS) for 14 dollars a month.

I'm considering Litespeed, since I've heard it's alot more optimized than Apache (currently using), and therefor save a bit of ram.

But I could really use some of you guys' knowledge on this area, in what would do us the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanni View Post
    Hey guys (and girls)

Me and a friend currently have a VPS @ Hostdime UK and were quite happy with them (Great support!).

Today we ran out of ram for the first time, and it actually came as quite a shock, since the VPS was rebooted the day before (and had prior to the reboot runned perfectly for nearly a month without any problems).

So we been looking at our options here, to avoid this situation again.

Since were currently at Hostdime's smallest VPS package with 768 mb ram, we could just upgrade it to 1 GB for 10 punds more.

or

We could invest in a Litespeed license (VPS) for 14 dollars a month.

I'm considering Litespeed, since I've heard it's alot more optimized than Apache (currently using), and therefor save a bit of ram.

But I could really use some of you guys' knowledge on this area, in what would do us the best.
    Hello sirdanni,

Could you PM me your domain or ticket # so I can check into your VPS with us right now? I can look into possibly tweaking some of the settings to lower memory usage.

Thank you,

Dennis
    | Dennis Henry | HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters
    | Data Centers in USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands

PM sendt Dennis :-)

Hi Sirdabbi

What do you currently run on this vps?

Steve

@proudbabys

We currently run a self-coded forum with (I believe) 14K visitors per month.

We are currently in-the-process of re-writing alot of the code (optimizing) (not saying the current code is bad, but some of it could use a rewrite).

:-)

PM sendt Dennis :-)
    I will update you in more detail via PM but I have made some small tweaks to your VPS configuration that should remove this possibility from recurring.

Have a great night,

Dennis
    | Dennis Henry | HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters
    | Data Centers in USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands

Sirdanni

I forgot to ask, do you have a control panel on the vps? if so which one?

@proudbabys

We have as-per-default with Hostdime's packages, CPanel + WHM

:-)

Hi Sirdanni

Do you have many people on your forum at any one time? im asking this because if you have cpanel which takes some memory up anyway and the vps only has 768mb's ram, then im guessing there wont be much memory left.

I could be wrong but to me it does sound like a memory issue which in this case just upgrade your package, even if you did use litespeed i still think you would have the same problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys (and girls)

I'm no webserver guru AT ALL... but I found this blog post of one of the members here quite interesting:
    http://blog.gid0.net/archives/205

He says he gave up on litespeed and switched to Nginx with much success.
    Also, I wonder how you run out of 768MB of ram with a small site. Sounds like ram-intensive PHP stuff that you could optimize to save much more ram
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

HD is good. Ask them to tweak it and see if there is a difference. If there isn't then I WOULD HIGHLY recommend litespeed. We use it on all of our servers and we LOVE it!

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

@proudbabys

We only have 25 people online (logged in) at the same time, max.

How many people browsing the forum not-logged-in, I dont know - sorry.

@wartungsfenster

After talking with Dennis via PM, it turned out we hit some limit in OpenVZ, and it has now been increased a bit.

you hit a process limit for your VPS, not necessarily a memory limit or any sort of hardware limitation.
    @TmzHosting

Yeah HD is great

But since Dennis say'd it wasn't a Ram issue, Im unsure what to do, in case this happens again.

After talking with Dennis via PM, it turned out we hit some limit in OpenVZ, and it has now been increased a bit.
    What limit? Running processes?

25 people online is a very low mark, you should consider switching to nginx is there are no complex mod_rewrite involved.

3 nginx spawned process should be totally enough for 25people and this should use no more then 256mb inc mysql to run your forum.
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    What limit? Running processes?
    I actually forgot to ask

Regarding Ngnix, I didnt consider it, due to the hole mod_rewrite thing.