Question Is it normal for a datacenter to nullroute IP for DDOS?

If my server is being DDOS and I am on a unmetered dedicated port, is it normal for datacenter to nullroute my server's IP?

As far as I am aware it is, it is a quick fail-safe to prevent their systems being bogged down with the traffic.

Yes, it is normal. Unless you are explicitly paying for specialized DDoS protection service, but this is expensive.

But I am on a dedicated port, how does this affect the rest of their network?

Your dedicated port may be 1000Mbps but the datacenter may be receiving 20x1000Mbps of DDoS (or higher)... so yes, it can affect their other customers.

If only my secondary IP is being DDOS shouldn't the datacenter only nullroute that particular secondary IP?

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    If only my secondary IP is being DDOS shouldn't the datacenter only nullroute that particular secondary IP?
    that would be the normal way of doing things, yes.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Yes, nullroute can be per IP. If only one IP is being attacked, it is logical to nullroute only that IP.

If my main server's IP is being nullroute will my other sites that are on secondary IP still load?

It depends on many things. To know what is nullrouted just try to ping all your IPs and see if you receive any answers.

Yes it's normal, and yeah, it sucks. Until the goverment actually makes DDoS illegal when it's not against multi billion dollar corporations, not much can be done. Basically have to hope the ones doing it get bored. Not worth switching to another host either as they'll just DDoS the new IP. Can't win against these.

If possible they block the incoming IP (so source address) for DoS attacks, however for DDoS (which stands for Distributed Denial of Service) it are often (too) many IP's to block (for example; a botnet) and then they block the destination IP.

So yes; for a DDoS it's common practice they block your server IP (because it's the destination) and the source comes from more than one IP.
    Last edited by Mikej0h; 03-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.

I was logged into my server while the supposed DDOS was taking place, I noticed nothing abnormal, the load, CPU usage, and memory usage remained the same.

I am wondering if the server is just getting more traffic and they mistakenly thought it is a DDOS instead. This is a load balanced site and none of my other servers are getting any DDOS activity.

Many companies can and will filter the attack before making the decision to null route.

I was logged into my server while the supposed DDOS was taking place, I noticed nothing abnormal, the load, CPU usage, and memory usage remained the same
    What data center

I was logged into my server while the supposed DDOS was taking place, I noticed nothing abnormal, the load, CPU usage, and memory usage remained the same.

I am wondering if the server is just getting more traffic and they mistakenly thought it is a DDOS instead. This is a load balanced site and none of my other servers are getting any DDOS activity.
    Spewing bandwidth at you doesn't mean you'll get HTTP requests or anything

O boy, I miss getting DDos'ed and having my stuff down for hours. . .

I've never seen a main IP be nulled and the others work
    Last edited by Dougy; 03-19-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsf View Post
    O boy, I miss getting DDos'ed and having my stuff down for hours. . .
    Over 10 hours downtime and still down. No communication from the datacenter about nullroute, my own monitoring picked it up that my server is down.

Disappointed.

Over 10 hours downtime and still down. No communication from the datacenter about nullroute, my own monitoring picked it up that my server is down.

Disappointed.
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I can say that null routing is pretty normal when a provider gets a big attack. That being said, they should at least be communicating with you about the situation.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

if an IP is getting DDOSed, is it possible to just limit or cap the speed on that IP so it will not consume too much bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by shinjikenny View Post
    if an IP is getting DDOSed, is it possible to just limit or cap the speed on that IP so it will not consume too much bandwidth?
    Easier to be said than done. If a DDOS attack is maxing out your line, they might as well nullroute your IP address.
    Now, if they limit your line and an attack is completely maxing out your limited bandwidth, you won't be able to access your site anyway and it will use up your bandwidth allowance.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

so when will a DDOS attack stop? until they consumed their bandwidth on the server they use?

is it possible to counter attack?
    say, DDOS each of their servers that they use for DDOSing?

so when will a DDOS attack stop? until they consumed their bandwidth on the server they use?

DDoS is almost always from a collection of computers. (or zombies they call.) Those computers are infected with viruses without its owner knowing.

Now, a mastermind (or a group) behind an attack will send a command to his (or their) infected zombies to connect to a target continually.
    A single connection alone is nothing but when there are hundred/thousands of computers hitting a site simultaneously non-stop, then it starts to max out one's bandwidth.

That is the most basic form of DDoS attack.

Which means unless you know who the mastermind is, it's almost impossible to "counter-attack". Even if you do know, it's hard to get back at them.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

The ddos attacks are typically done by kiddies who have nothing better to do, or if you have a shop or important business - to demand money. If not, there might be some disgruntled user of your service.

The ddos attacks are usually done with botnets, or hacked servers, so there is no such thing as "the bandwidth runs out". It stops either when the server admins of the servers where the ddos comes from - figure out that their machines were hacked, and just pull the plug and clean their stuff, or when the kiddie that does the ddos simply stops.

"Counter attack" "DDoS the servers where they send ddos" is illegal, because by sending ddos, you would have to hack machines. I assume no decent isp would willingfully allow you to ddos from your own machines, so this option is way out of the question.

If you have a serious business, and you are losing money for having your services down, then you have to look into ddos protected services - which are not very cheap.
    XSBackup - keeping your data secure. Offsite redundant backups - RAID6 storage / rSync / SSH / FTP access. Whitelabel services / Reseller accounts available.
    NEW! - If you need awesome admins to secure, optimize and maintain your servers, you're in the right place.

- It can go on forever - if you annoy the wrong group it might never stop. Ever.

- Illegal

- They aren't their servers, they're hacked, you're taking out legitimate normal systems, illegal

how about blocking all IP except for the IP of the clients?
    for example, a game server...
    all IP's are initially blocked from accesing the server, then when a client registers, his IP will be unblocked and he will now be able to access the server..

is this possible?

No it's not possible, because the ddos attack will still fill up your network port. Only small ddos attacks under let's say 50 mb/s can be filtered somewhat properly at server level, and that requires some extensive knowledge as well. And it's not a guarantee they can be filtered either, because a 50 mbps attack can send about 200 000 pps and that will hog the cpu, and it's no joy.

You have 2 solutions:

If you have pissed someone off, just let it go, and try to ignore them. At some point they get bored.

If it's a customer that pissed someone off, ask that customer to stop whatever he's doing, or in an extreme case, if he keeps going on willingly, that is just bad behavior and the customer has to be removed.
    XSBackup - keeping your data secure. Offsite redundant backups - RAID6 storage / rSync / SSH / FTP access. Whitelabel services / Reseller accounts available.
    NEW! - If you need awesome admins to secure, optimize and maintain your servers, you're in the right place.

what if the server provider advertises that their servers have DDOS protection? Does that mean I'll be safe from DDOS attacks?
    this one says it has DDOS protection:

Operating system: All linux
    (see the upgrade section for Windows)
    CPU: Intel Pentium G6950
    Cores: 2
    Threads: 2
    Memory: 4GB
    Harddrive: 500GB SATA
    Raid: none
    Bandwidth: 25TB
    IP addresses: 4
    Portspeed: 1000 mbit
    Management: Full managed
    DDOS Protection: Yes
    Price per month: $199.00
    Setup fee: $0.00
    Buy now

ddos protection costs money based on how large the attacks are. what you are getting there is some basic level of ddos protection, and it's not a real ddos protection that can help you when attacks go past a certain level, or become complex.

ddos attacks vary in complexity and techniques.

use common sense, there is no wiggling around it, no blaming anyone. only the 2 solutions i have provided above will work. i have been doing shell hosting and ddos protection for more than 8 years now, and things are just the way they are. ddos protection costs money.

1gbps / 100 000 pps firewall that will protect you for real, is about 500 $/mo.

If your DC has blocked the target IP and you're able to access the server using any other IP or means then that's the case you won't see anything strange.