A Site That Really Sucks

I was reading another forum last night about a tv news site in Atlanta that seemed to make your monitor jump hurdles and was almost impossible to read anything on a page before it made a redirect to another section.

I knew the developer that made the post so I give her a call and she gave me the url of the site and told me to be sure to have a black cup of coffee and a nerve pill before I looked at it.

When I opened the url the first thing I saw was an ad that covered half the page and then in a few seconds it took off to the top of the page closing and made the complete site slide up and down like on a roller coaster.

She also told me to try to read the local news. After the page got thorough sliding up and down the first section was the local news. Well, in a few seconds it made an auto redirect to another section without me even getting a shot at the news. After a few seconds it made a redirect to another section and this kept up with it never stopping unless you clicked on the section tab to stop it.

I think this is one of the poorest developed web sites for news readers in the internet that I've ever tried to read. I really don't know what they call themselves trying to do except maybe run off any viewers that go there to read the news.

It certainly shows their developers skills with scripts that are really frustrating for slow readers and readers that may be script readers because of not being able to see very well.

She also told me someone had submitted it to the "Website That Sucks" url.

Lesson learned guys and gals, always try to build your sites that a person can enjoy visiting and reading your info and will return again with compliments and not getting bashed like this news site is.

So, what's the URL?

yeah, whats the URL, im intrigued now

WSBTV maybe. I say that solely based upon the initial ad and it's behaviour.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

these type of sliding websites having link to another page where you can read the information or news as per your convenient. I mean when you will click on the slide it will take you to another page.

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    these type of sliding websites having link to another page where you can read the information or news as per your convenient. I mean when you will click on the slide it will take you to another page.
    You're assuming.

OP, we're all intrigued by this. Please post a link.

I don't quite understand what your trying to describe, does this illusive link exist?

Sorry guys I''m not one to bash anything or anyone unless it bashes me in the face. I think another poster has already said where the site is.

I talked to another friend and she said the ad slider looked to be an off and on thing when she checked the site but it seemed to be there most of the time. She also made the comment that the page redirects looked like they had slowed down a little maybe and she could half way read something on the page before it made the redirect.

In my opinion though an ad slider like that is of bad web design for visitors and redirects are very frustrating for me and many more people I know. I'm also dyslexic and a slow reader so that makes a site like that much more frustrating for me.

When I build a small business or corporate site my clients tell me to make our site user friendly with no wild funky things going on for our viewers and potential customers.

Anytime I go to a site that does what the site did I leave it immediately never to return.

My personal thoughts are when I visit a site I should be the one to look at whatever page or section I'm interested in not what a designer thinks I should look at with redirects.
    Maybe someone has complained to the news station about their site.

Those are my opinions though and let it be your personal opinion as to how you like how a site is built and reacts when you view it.

humawebdesign...reckon how many people would know to click on a slider ad to stop it or look to see where the site has a special section...I would say the majority doesn't. I was also told when you clicked on the slider it would carry you to another site or page.

Personally I have no intentions of ever returning to the site again nor any other site that gives me a bad impression.

Luckily, I use Opera, and their script doesn't seem to know what to do with my browser. So I didn't see the large ad until I switched to Firefox
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Luckily, I use Opera, and their script doesn't seem to know what to do with my browser. So I didn't see the large ad until I switched to Firefox
    I like Opera and use it often. When I checked that site today I was using Firefox.
    But!, I can assure anyone I will not be returning to that site to see how it reacts in any browser...ever again! lol

This would be a good validator to check it with.
    http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/

Hope all you webbie's out there having a unique webbie weekend !