CDN - Questions.

1. In General, the more node you have in CDN, the faster it should be, am i right?

2. Why most of the CDN only has 21 nodes and no more, no less?

3. Which CDN Provider has the most Nodes?

4. Do most "CDN" are CDN resellers only and does not actually operate the CDN itself?

5. How many Real CDN provider are there? ( From Wiki, Akamai, Amazon CloudFront, AT&T, Chinacache, Cotendo, EdgeCast, Highwinds, Internap, Level 3, Limelight, Microsoft Azure CDN, Mirror Image, XCYCOM )

6. How do i know if they are CDN resller ?

1.Yes.(it depands of location of nodes and your visitors)
    2.many of them are customizable...(like vps.net) actually you dont need more!
    3.No idea.
    4.Maybe(small companies..not level3 and so on!)
    5.I would recommend Level3
    6.Research about them.

1) That's a misconception - not always true at all. Especially a CDN that's setup to do origin pull (+ caching), having an excessive amount of nodes can potentially slow things down as you may constantly have to obtain files from the origin before actually serving them. If you have very diverse and high traffic, this can be negated, but for a lot of sites, this is a real issue. Some CDNs that have a fewer amount of nodes still achieve great performance, and have very expansive setups at the places they do have servers. For example, Cachefly offers automatically replicated storage across all over their POPs, which negates the whole caching issue just mentioned.

2) Why most don't have over 21? Well, this is explained above. And also keep in mind they probably have way more than 21 actual servers - perhaps you're referring to 21 POPs.

3) I would say Akamai easily has the most POPs (and probably servers too). Their setup is certainly great, but it will cost you, especially on a low-commit.

4) Some resell, but this can be an advantage as you can get better pricing on lower commits typically.

5) There are plenty of "real" CDNs, and also plenty of resellers - they all have their place depending on your actual requirements (low commit vs a high commit where it's better to go direct).

6) Contact them - ask for a way of testing their CDN, do some traceroutes, check the IPs, etc. It isn't very hard to find out who operates the network

Yeah, far too many and far too confusing. And there are no central point of review like webhostingtalk.

By Nodes i mean POPs, sorry if i caused any confusion.
    And by more POPs i mean something like 30 - 40, not excessive amount ( hundreds ) of them.
    I mean after all the world in not only US and EU right?, Most of them lack behind in Asia.
    Although Sat down and thinking about it, Splitting the world in 21 pieces already Greatly shorten the time for transfer, properly more doesn't make much of a different.

I dont know why I cant edit my post. But one thing i am concern is most of the CDN dont have POPs in Taiwan and China.

If well distributed across US, EU, and Asia, then 21 POPs could very well be enough. At that point what is going to affect performance more is the routing to each individual POP. Unfortunately you are right that a lot of CDNs don't offer too many POPs in Asia. I believe Level3 has them but charges extra (at least when going through a reseller like vps.net).

Quote Originally Posted by iwod View Post
    I dont know why I cant edit my post. But one thing i am concern is most of the CDN dont have POPs in Taiwan and China.
    It's difficult for most CDNs to justify the cost of entering the APAC market. There's problems with the cost of bandwidth, the cost of space, government restrictions ... etc. However, I can tell you that in our discussions with numerous CDN providers, all of them WANT to enter Asia, and will eventually. It's just coming up with something works for their corporate strategy.

I do believe that Akamai has a few POPs in Asia already; Level3 does as well. Layer0 is correct, if you purchase Level3 through us the cost goes up to $250/TB.

China requires a government license to people/companies operate sites, blogs, forums, ... issued only to people/companies living/operating in mainland China.

Read more here: http://blog.sinohosting.net/icp-lice...-need-to-know/

3. Which CDN Provider has the most Nodes?

From Akamai site:

Akamai has the most pervasive cloud optimization platform - 84,000 servers in 72 countries within nearly 1,000 networks.

85% of the world's Internet users are within a single "network hop" of an Akamai server.

Akamai delivers between 15-30% of all Web traffic

Akamai delivers daily Web traffic reaching more than 4 Terabits per second

Akamai delivers hundreds of billions of daily Internet interactions

Akamai helps securely enable more than $200 billion in annual e-commerce for its online retail customers

Akamai is Trusted:

One out of every three Global 500 companies (List compiled by Fortune Magazine)
    29 of the top 30 media and entertainment companies (Global)
    All 20 top eCommerce sites (Global)
    90 of the top 100 online U.S. retailers
    All branches of the U.S. military
    More than 150 of the world’s leading news portals
    All of the top Internet portals (Global)
    8 of the top 10 U.S. Banks (Source: The Banker)
    9 of the top 10 world banks (Source: The Banker)
    8 of the top 10 P&C insurance carriers (North America) (Source: A.M. Best)
    2 of the top 5 world stock exchanges (Source: WFE)
    7 of the top 10 U.S asset management firms (Source: Institutional Investor)
    7 of the top 10 world asset management firms (Source: Towers Watson)
    9 of the top 10 largest newspapers (North America)
    8 of the top 10 online publishers (Global)
    4 of the top 5 online movie rental sites (North America)
    7 of the top 10 social media sites (Global)
    4 of the top 5 semiconductor manufacturers (Global)
    13 of the top 15 automakers (Global)
    9 of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies (Global)
    6 of the top 7 computer manufacturers (Global)
    9 of the top 10 anti-virus companies (North America)
    4 of the top 5 online auction companies (North America)
    4 of the top 10 Life & Health carriers (Source: A.M. Best) (North America)
    5 of the top 10 U.S. discount brokers (Source: SmartMoney) (North America)
    All major U.S. sports leagues

How many Real CDN provider are there? ...
    There are some real CDNs, there are some real TDNs, and there are lots of toy cdns.

I suggest you take a look at this article: Telcos and the State of Content Delivery http://www.streamingmediaglobal.com/...rticleID=74212
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

akamai is indeed huge and definitely has POPs throughout Asia, but of course their service doesn't come cheap.

You may even want to look at using multiple CDNs simultaneously (there are a good number of sites doing this).

Thanks dotHostel, Is CacheFly or EdgeCast Anygood?

Thanks dotHostel, Is CacheFly or EdgeCast Anygood?
    I believe Edgecast is the 3rd largest CDN behind Akamai and Limelight. It's not cheap, but speedyrails (reseller) lets you pay as you go, which makes it very affordable for small websites.

Taiwan may not get as much attention as HK. Simply put it, most carriers are peered in HK, so having a PoP out there basically has quick access to most of the East Asia (including TW and CN).

However, CN priority bandwidth costs a bomb from HK.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    Taiwan may not get as much attention as HK. Simply put it, most carriers are peered in HK, so having a PoP out there basically has quick access to most of the East Asia (including TW and CN).
    Funny you say this as international HK connectivity is bad, low capacity, unreliable, and expensive.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Funny you say this as international HK connectivity is bad, low capacity, unreliable, and expensive.
    That's because you don't pay for it. You are actually using shared stuff which is oversubscribed.

Pay real dollar for it, and you'll see HK having fantastic connectivity to East Asia, Pacnet / PCCW.

This is NOT TO BASH on Level 3.
    But they are red dead in ink.
    Losing an enormous amount of money in the telco industry.

If you're searching for a CDN.
    I would test, test and do more testing.
    Some CDN's are just awesome for small files others for larger files.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCrane View Post
    I believe Edgecast is the 3rd largest CDN behind Akamai and Limelight. It's not cheap, but speedyrails (reseller) lets you pay as you go, which makes it very affordable for small websites.
    Great, I just Realize Mediatemple's ProCDN is using EdgeCast.

What about Cotendo? and is there any reseller for its CDN?

Cotendo? You need full site acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    Cotendo? You need full site acceleration?
    Cotendo offers many services: dynamic site acceleration, CDN balancer, advanced DNS ..etc, but I need just the content delivery service(CDN), plain HTTP delivery.

If you just need plain HTTP delivery, then any of the CDN's mentioned in this thread will work for you.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

Quote Originally Posted by Salsero View Post
    If you just need plain HTTP delivery, then any of the CDN's mentioned in this thread will work for you.
    Cotendo seems to have good performance for HTTP delivery and I would like to test by myself and probably use it, anyone knows of a Cotendo reseller?

Akamai is very much the largest CDN but I would imagine also one of the most expensive. I also don't know of any Akamai resellers that will let you get in for a low cost (that don't require you to use a specific cloud storage provider)

When it comes to CDNs it depends on where your audience is, what your budget is and ultimately what you are trying to do. Everybody would love to work with Akamai but you need to ask yourself if Akamai is really going to deliver to your users an experience so improved that it is worth spending that kind of dough.

It is also worth noting that depending on how you have it setup switching CDN providers is somewhat trivial. And if you are especially worried about performance in one region but not another it is possible to segregate your users to different CDNs based on their region.
    Nick Catalano
    Account Manager at Steadfast Networks
    Email/XMPP: nick @ steadfast.net | AIM: CatalanoNick

Use rackspace cloud files to get into Akamai at pretty much no commit.

For south east Asian traffic I highly recommend voxel

Quote Originally Posted by paultandotorg View Post
    Use rackspace cloud files to get into Akamai at pretty much no commit.

For south east Asian traffic I highly recommend voxel
    Rackspace cloud files is horrendously limited. I've used it, and it's missing tons of Akamai features. No origin pull for one... or flash streaming.

Another issue is that it won't fall back to origin if it can't a matching POP (say for anyone in Asia). This makes transfers even slower. To evade this you'd have to geotarget on your end.

The only place that resells the entire Akamai package is Distribution Cloud, and the rates they charge are insane - $150/mth for 50GB!!!

VPS.net had a great deal w/Akamai with most features but sadly they pulled out of the agreement

I think EdgeCast is the best option now, if you need global coverage (incl Asia). It is what I use on a medium-to-large site. Akamai through VPS.net was great, but this is the next best thing.
    Last edited by x3sphere; 05-04-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Akamai and EdgeCast is at par, I think. The last we checked and the last my clients used, they both are almost equally as good. Most of the time, traffic in ASIA is the most expensive. Nobody realize this but the fact is true, that's why most providers are late to enter Asia. They have to calculate cost and check if it's feasible to provide there before they could really do it.

As for the question about reseller, there are good and there are bad too. You could easily go direct to the source but most of the time what is available for resellers are NOT available from the provider themselves.

For example, we resell for Voxel. However if you go over to Voxel to ask for the package that we sell, the would tell you that they do not have it and could not even provide it. There's a good and there's also a bad. When you need High Commit, the prices given by the provider directly after some negotiation is sometimes far better than our prices. So it kinda sucks to be us at times.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

may i know what is using CDN for?
    can it fix Latency in All Country?
    Can it Fix For Website load?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Swift View Post
    may i know what is using CDN for?
    can it fix Latency in All Country?
    Can it Fix For Website load?
    Thanks
    Read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com