Question Rackspace. r they worth their price

Just wanted to know more abt Rackspace cloud providers.

Are they really worth the hype

Wanted to know how they r when it comes to support.

Also are outages common with them?

Before making a purchase they look quite supportive ..not sure the same support wud exist after the purchase

They are expensive but you get what you pay for. They have been a top-class provider for a long time. Their network and support are among the best in the industry. You can't go wrong with Rackspace so long as it fits within your budget.

Agree with nking. You get what you pay for. They are a leading hosting company that charges a pretty penny and are still a leading hosting company, because they deliver. Thumbs up for enterprise hosters

If you have not tried a search here, I would suggest you to do so. You will get atleast a couple of cloud reviews. That would definitely help you along with the posts from those having first hand experiences here.

From a technical perspective, you should be aware that Rackspace's cloud does not use centralized storage (i.e. a SAN), so it is similar to a standard VPS in that respect. The implication of this is that since they're using localized storage on each node, if that node was to fail for any reason, your cloud couldn't be brought back up on another node with the same data. There are pros and cons to central and local storage of course. As others mentioned, you should do some research on this forum about them as well.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You really can't got wrong with RackSpace. Support 11/10; Uptime 100000/10;

As stated, that can be a little pricey, but its worth it
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    From a technical perspective, you should be aware that Rackspace's cloud does not use centralized storage (i.e. a SAN), so it is similar to a standard VPS in that respect. The implication of this is that since they're using localized storage on each node, if that node was to fail for any reason, your cloud couldn't be brought back up on another node with the same data. There are pros and cons to central and local storage of course. As others mentioned, you should do some research on this forum about them as well.
    At the same time though, you can move your backup images on to CloudFiles (distributed reliable storage) relatively quick since it is part of their internal network. If you want to start that image up as another instance, you can do that too.

The general practice is to keep your data on cloudfiles or in another reliable system via whatever backup mechanism you have (you should be doing that anyways), and the images for quick provisioning of a new instance.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    At the same time though, you can move your backup images on to CloudFiles (distributed reliable storage) relatively quick since it is part of their internal network. If you want to start that image up as another instance, you can do that too.

The general practice is to keep your data on cloudfiles or in another reliable system via whatever backup mechanism you have (you should be doing that anyways), and the images for quick provisioning of a new instance.
    No doubt, but there are plenty of customers who believe that the cloud is immune to data loss, etc. which is definitely not the case (not to say that any hosting solution is immune). If you look at a previous thread here, a fair amount of customers lost their data due to a failure of one of Rackspace's nodes.

Rackspace Cloud Servers basically *is* VPS. Key components to Cloud are location independence (meaning your Cloud Server can run on any physical server in that Cloud), redundancy, and scalability. Rackspace fails to meet all of these criteria in that your Cloud Server is tied to a single physical server, and when that server fails or experiences problems you will go down for an extended period of time (they have a 3 hour SLA).

Also because of this there is lack of scalability. If they have enough customers on that physical server that when you want to upgrade to a larger share of resources, guess what you have to migrate to another physical server. With a true Cloud infrastructure that is handled with a flick of a switch, and a reboot of your Cloud Server with less than 2 minutes of downtime.

Rackspace has great marketing, and they do have good support but when it comes to technology they are lacking and frankly, not worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    No doubt, but there are plenty of customers who believe that the cloud is immune to data loss, etc. which is definitely not the case (not to say that any hosting solution is immune). If you look at a previous thread here, a fair amount of customers lost their data due to a failure of one of Rackspace's nodes.
    Ya, I saw that. I find their marketing seems a bit detached from the realities of the technology they're using - and somewhere along the line, someone forgot to tell people to cycle the backups up into cloudfiles. I think I stumbled across it myself in their technical FAQs buried deep somewhere a long while back.

At the end of the day, I generally don't recommend people to use Rackspace. The few niche scenarios where I do recommend them for based on technical aspects, Amazon EC2 or plain old VPSs come pretty close to fulfilling anyways. But I'm also fulfilling the role of their management team in those scenarios, configuring and coordinating multiple machines with reliable backup storage.

The only time I can recommend them is if you really don't have a clue where to begin, don't have your own experienced IT staff, or your financial backers need a big name brand to feel safe. Its one of those 'no one ever gets fired for buying rackspace' type of deals.

Also, Rackspace only comes into being when they get into the multi-tier setup. If your rep insists that you only need one machine, I don't think you'd be getting 100% of your money's worth. But then again, if you're quibbling over $100 for IT support, you're looking at the wrong segment.

I've used Rackspace in the past, I wouldn't recommend them simply because of pricing. Yes, they're good but not that good to charge 2 or 3 times as much as other excellent enterprise data centers.

I'd strongly second tchen's input on this, if you're going to build a huge multi-tier web app and don't have a clue on web hosting, go with Rackspace. If you do have a clue and you can figure out basic things, go with another enterprise data center and save half the money.

They are definitely worth it.

Rackspace is well known for being super-reliable, but you can get something pretty comparable for a fraction of the price. If a dedicated server will do, I've had really great results with ReliableHostingServices.

If you really need VPS, I'm sure you can find something great by poking around the reviews on this site.

Above all, I wouldn't pay Rackspace's prices unless you're running the kind of business that would lose $100,000+ from a tiny downtime. The choice is between "no downtime, ever" with Rackspace and "maybe an hour a year" with most other VPS/dedicated providers. Would you really pay 3-5x the cost for the former?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSergey View Post
    Rackspace is well known for being super-reliable, but you can get something pretty comparable for a fraction of the price. If a dedicated server will do, I've had really great results with ReliableHostingServices.

If you really need VPS, I'm sure you can find something great by poking around the reviews on this site.

Above all, I wouldn't pay Rackspace's prices unless you're running the kind of business that would lose $100,000+ from a tiny downtime. The choice is between "no downtime, ever" with Rackspace and "maybe an hour a year" with most other VPS/dedicated providers. Would you really pay 3-5x the cost for the former?
    I would also consider this to be a misconception. Paying more doesn't make you immune to downtime, as you can see in the discussion above in this thread already. Rackspace as a whole has had their share of outages, so has practically every hosting provider at some point. In the end you might find comparable or perhaps even better reliability at a lower cost somewhere else.

RackSpace is a premium provider, not only in price, but in service offered. I believe WHT was/is hosted by RackSpace for a considerable length of time. If it is good enough for WHT, it is probably good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by arvixeryan View Post
    RackSpace is a premium provider, not only in price, but in service offered. I believe WHT was/is hosted by RackSpace for a considerable length of time. If it is good enough for WHT, it is probably good enough for you.
    WHT is only a forum, even WHT is moving away from Rack and WHT is observably quite laggy lately

Many people look to move to clouds to become third party service providers..like i had been approached by a client to move from them from dedicated server to rack to make them a third party external service provider..that made me deal with Rack's pre sales and they were oversupportive, but they were hesitant to reveal their underlying technology as their technology is far from what makes the definition for a cloud. we can hardly apply extra technology on rackspace like being an external dns provider etc.

Not sure looks like they have outages etc and their technology isnt worth for long run businesses

they are absolutely okay and good too. is what a trail

Quote Originally Posted by indiagirl View Post
    Not sure looks like they have outages etc and their technology isnt worth for long run businesses
    Just my two cents again - if you're just looking at the word 'outage' you're not going to get an accurate picture. You have to dig deeper into what types of outages they are, whether it's an accident near the DC, a corrupted data store on a single node, or just plain negligence.

Then you compare the resilience of your architecture against those faults. Their technology is good in that node flutter is practically nil. Short of the rare network outage events, which seriously only geo-diversity and multi-clustering will prevent, I haven't seen anything at Rackspace that a relatively basic N+1 setup doesn't reliably handle with ease. Outside of Rackspace's environment, I get extremely paranoid about node states.

Technology-wise, I know failover via SANs sound nice. I feel they're a good stepping stone between a single server versus N+1 setups. But there are reliability, performance, and scalability tradeoffs. Doing SAN right is expensive and hard, but doing it wrong is not so expensive and practically undetectable until something goes wrong. Just remember to keep your own backup and recovery plan separate from the SAN.

But then that goes the same for Rackspace and any other provider as well.

P.S. The external DNS provider thing confuses me, as you do have full control over the instance in cloud servers. From an operability standpoint, anything you can do in a traditional VPS, you can do in cloud servers.

P.P.S. If you're buying into the FUD that Rackspace technology isn't good, then in my opinion you do fall into the category I'd previously recommend managed Rackspace to. You could do well with professional consulting.

but it is rumored that rackspace cloud is really a glorified VPS and it is very misleading and gives false sense of the cloud promise.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Hi Mate,

Just some thing not satisfied with their cloud concept.

Thanking you,
    Kevin.
    Transition to wordpress today!!:wordpressmonk.com
    Contact us -Hotmail :[email protected]
    Gmail :[email protected]