Exclamation VPS/ Personal Proxy/ Mac/ Need Help

Hello,

To begin with, I am an extreme novice when it comes to extremely technical computer stuff, however, I have a serious inquiry and an extreme desire to learn. Please try to excuse any lack of knowledge or any mistakes I might make when expressing technical terms. If you have no patience for ignorance, please do not contribute to the conversation.

I am a US E x p a t living in C h i n a. I am considering setting up a personal proxy in order to access blocked sites here as well as unblocked video intensive sites based in the US. I currently use a VPN, however, I have yet to find one which is fast and stable. Additionally, several of the most well known and reliable VPN providers have recently come under attack from the censors. I anticipate this problem will soon get worse and I would prefer to not have to rely on something so susceptible to being shut down.

With that said, I need advice for setting up a VPS. I have seen several posts for advice about setting up a VPS on Linux and on Windows, however, I am on a Mac (Snow Leopard).

What are the most important numbers to look at for a VPS (memory, storage, data monthly transfer allowance, ect.)? What prices should I expect to pay? Also, what kind of expertise does it take to manage a server. I have noticed that rates for managed VPSís are considerably higher than those for self managed ones. Considering the low demands that I would require from my VPS, would it be possible for someone with no experience managing a VPS to fulfill the required demands?

I will only plan to use the VPS as a personal proxy. To elaborate on my desire to access video, when using my VPN on blocked sites I have experienced slow loading and frequent interruptions. Additionally, some sites such as Hulu will not allow me access using a VPN. Furthermore, sites/contents that are not blocked load very slowly (ex. iTunes podcasts, espn.com streaming video, marchmadness on demand). Using a VPN will help a little as long as the connection remains stable, however, once it is interrupted, any content which is not fully loaded must be reloaded again from beginning (which is terribly frustrating).

I am hoping that a VPS is the solution that I am looking for, however, I have lots of questions about the specific how-to of everything.

Any positive and/or constructive input, help, or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I should add that I have 4M DSL internet. Although Chinese video content flies, I have a feeling that the internet connection isnít quite as fast as itís supposed to be.

Hi,
    Try a VPS by Up2VPS. There prices are reasonable and uses Intel Core i7 for LA location.

They can also create a custom plan for you. To run a VPN, you should just need 512mb of ram, 10GB or more bandwidth, 10GB Diskspace. Those specifications are perfect for any VPN or Hosting.

Up2VPS Link - http://up2vps.com/xen.php
    OpenVZ Up2VPS: http://up2vps.com/openvz.php

Mac OS VPN setup - http://www.dcaccess.net/VPN/MacOS_X.html
    OpenVPN is also an alternative for Max OSX.

Thanks for the feedback computerwis. What OS would you recommend for the server? Are there any that are better suited for my purpose?

Also, I'm leaning towards getting a self managed VPS since they are significantly cheaper. But since I've never managed a VPS I'm unfamiliar with the maintenance demands... any idea about how intensive the maintenance will be?

Hi,
    Use CentOS, perfect for any vps/application.

Up2VPS is a semi-managed vps. Managed VPS is when the tech staff from the provider will help do basically everything.

Self-managed vps - Includes yourself doing Level 1/2 work on your vps, all Level 3 or network problems are covered by provider.
    Level 1- Installing the scripts/running basic ssh commands on vps.
    Level 2 - Do configuring on vps, setup, optimize and do all the work required to got your vps at top performance.

Maintenance on vps should be intermediate or close to easy, it is not as hard as a dedicated server. There are SolusVM control panel if your vps is down/or needs reinstalling. You can find lots of guides in WebHostingtalk or in google. Providers usually clarify the things you don't know.

If you need more purpose, run a blog based off Kloxo and you can create your own articles. - Wordpress

I have been with Up2VPS and when I do a speedtest, I get a full duplex port and can download a 100mb file in just 10secs. It has excellent speed and thats why I recommend them to the members looking for vps. - Cachefly server

Kloxo can be installed by searching on google. 32bit systems only. 4M DSL connection is fast enough to use a VPN, no problems with it.
    Last edited by computerwis; 03-18-2011 at 07:27 AM.

If you are interested for a automated control panel for example CPanel/WHM, it is perfect for starters but it has a cost of $15 USD and need atleast of 512mb ram, 1GB Burst.

CPanel/WHM is perfect for any newbie or anyone who needs to use a self-management system.

Visit here for more info - http://cpanel.net

Does Up2VPS have any restrictions about how the VPS can be used? Are proxies ok?

Hi,
    Up2vps.com doesn't have any restrictions on proxy. Proxy are ok as long you use it correctly.'

VPS can be used in any good way,just no Spam/Virus on vpn stored.

Terms of Service is here: http://up2vps.com/terms.php

Things you need to know.

Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks for the input. I'll post my progress.

Where in China are you?

Depending on that you have 3 Location Choices:
    Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Los Angeles.

If you do not need much Speed and are not too far away from HK (Guangdong, Hunan, Fujian etc.) a HK VPS will give you the best possible Speed and Ping.
    Los Angeles is the "Allrounder" for all Locations, not bad, but also not good - it is in particular good for Beijing and Shanghai.
    Frankfurt is for Tibet, Qinghai and Xinjian provinces.

Hi,

For using your vps as a personal Proxy or VPN server , you only need 64MB RAM or 128 MB(128MB is more than enough). no need to 512MB RAM or... disk space : even 1GB Disk space is enough for most minimal systems, but you usually get more with even a 64MB or 128MB VPS (usually between 5GB..10GB).

I have a vps for my personal VPN server and it only uses 26MB of 128MB RAM. it also has my blog (nginx+spawn cgi PHP) and also monit+munin servers for system monitoring all of other my servers.

if you search you can find my Post for running a PPTP VPN server on a 128MB VPS (with Debian Linux). there are also Providers that have VPN ready Image for you , so you don't have to do anything (just setting username and pass).

about the Location: i think you should try location that Zhang suggested. but for watching Hulu you need a USA IP , so i think that Limits you to the east coast host/cities like LA.

Price usually is less than 10USD/Month for an unmanaged VPS.(even less, like 5 USD/Month for a 128MB VPS)

You happened to mention some numbers for memory and storage.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm2005 View Post
    Hi,

For using your vps as a personal Proxy or VPN server , you only need 64MB RAM or 128 MB(128MB is more than enough). no need to 512MB RAM or... disk space : even 1GB Disk space is enough for most minimal systems, but you usually get more with even a 64MB or 128MB VPS (usually between 5GB..10GB).

I have a vps for my personal VPN server and it only uses 26MB of 128MB RAM. it also has my blog (nginx+spawn cgi PHP) and also monit+munin servers for system monitoring all of other my servers.
    What about bandwidth? I assume that this would probably just be based upon my personal demands right? Will my incoming and outgoing traffic both be held against my bandwidth limits?

Quote Originally Posted by sdMac View Post
    You happened to mention some numbers for memory and storage.
    What about bandwidth? I assume that this would probably just be based upon my personal demands right? Will my incoming and outgoing traffic both be held against my bandwidth limits?
    Hi,

Actually it depends on your vps provider. Some of them only calculate the download traffic (download from your vps) and most of them calculate both.you should ask this as a pre-sale question.

My Personal 128MB VPS has 200GB BW Limit , but i'm hardly using 40~50GB monthly (it counts both upload and download). in Low End Market , the typical included BW is something between 50GB ... 200GB usually (you can find offers with 1000GB Limit too,but rarely).