custom nameservers and dedicated ips

Hi all!
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around all this privacy issue...

I recently got a VPS on which I plan on hosting 5 sites.
    I also purchased 5 dedicated ips.
    I want to have a custom nameserver for each site, and a different ip for each, so as to maximize my privacy.

When I register a custom nameserver at my domain registrar CP, I need to specify 2 different and unique ips (for n1, ns2).
    What is the proper configuration for max privacy?
    Do I have to use 2 different and unique ip for each site (and use them when I create a new VPS account plus when I register its respective nameserver)?

How does this thing even work?
    How does the VPS "know" which account to serve when approached with a request for a custom nameserver pointing at an ip that has more then one name servers?

I'm all confused...

Basically you..

1) utilize two IP addresses each different when registering the ns1/ns2.domain at your registrar. These IP addresses will need to reside on whatever server is running your DNS server.

2) Setup your DNS server on your VPS to answer to the two IP addresses for DNS requests as well as the specific nameservers you setup in #1 (the actual FQDN)

Rinse and repeat for as many different authoritative nameservers you want to create.

Hi Motiv.
    That means I have to allocate 2 unique IP for each domain?
    Can it be that my VPS CP (Cpanel) gives me the option to allocate only one IP per new account?
    What if I give two domains the same ip, and the same nameserver, will the server be able to know what site to serve for each domain?

Thanks for your reply.
    Its just that I can't seem to understand the logic of it all...

No, you don't need 200 IPs. One name server on one IP can serve multiple zones (domains).

No, you don't need 200 IPs. One name server on one IP can serve multiple zones (domains).

But i am going to confuse you further: it is not a good idea to put both your name servers in the same VPS (or in the same provider, same datacenter, etc.).
    The good idea is to have the second nameserver on a small VPS somewhere else.

Thanks for confusing me...

So I can match 1 unique IP with multiple domains and use multiple custom nameservers and still retain privacy (not have all the domains known to be hosted on the same server)?

Name servers do not have anything to do with hosting. Godaddy's name servers for example support millions of domains that they do not host.

But for multiple sites not knowing that they are hosted on the same server - yes, different IPs would be needed for this. Of course if the website owners are smart enough they can still figure out that they are not alone on a server.
    Why are you so worried about this? Have you promised a dedicated server per hosted domain or something?

No its not that.
    Its just that I have interlinks, and would like to be SEO optimized.

Do I need to allocate 2 unique ips for each domain to make them appear as if they are not hosted on the same vps?

No, one IP per domain is enough. You don't even need to have your own name server - you can use the domain registrar's name server. Of course some people swear that google knows about these things and knows that IPs are "close to each other"...
    For this reason some people use specialized "SEO Hosting" - with multiple IPs from different networks (so google wouldn't know that they are on the same server). Search for "SEO hosting" in this forum for more information.

OK.
    And this one IP per doamin goes to both ns1 and ns2?

Yes, it is possible to do it this way. It is not recommended, but it is possible.

You can use different locations for NS IP's. For example: 1 NS can have 1 your IP, second NS can have google DNS.
    Please correct me if I'am wrong.
    Time4VPS - flexible, worry-free, fast and affordable VPS hosting in Europe.

So for dummies like me:
    1)I create a new account at my VPS and allocate one of the unique IP just for that account.
    2) I go to "godaddy" and create a custom nameserver, which I point at my unique IP (both ns1 and ns2).
    3) I wait till it is registered (48-72 hours) and then set up this new nameserver as my dns for the domain.
    4) Reapeat for each of my sites

Is that about it?
    Also, can you please recommend some easy to understand online resources about the iner-relations of nameservers/domains/Ips/hosts?

Thank, you are sweet.

You can look at cPanel/WHM documentation. It's very useful. Go ahead and try: http://etwiki.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/v...HMDocs/WebHome
    Time4VPS - flexible, worry-free, fast and affordable VPS hosting in Europe.

Thanks for this, I was just pondering over the same thing

It's not necessary that you keep two IPs...
    If you bought 5 IPs and you want to host 5 Domains, one for each IP then you can simply keep one IP for both the name servers (ns1 and ns2)...
    Then make DNS templates in you CP keeping same IP again for the name server..

Thank you all for your kindness.
    I'm afraid its too deep for me...
    :-)