Free E-Commerce Cart

I am not in the hosting industry but I want to utilize a Paypal cart feature. Should I just use the "buy now" buttons or should I go with a free e-commerce cart?

The fees are mostly for service/consulting fees, etc... not for physical products.

I'd say go with the Buy Now - why a full blown shopping cart for what you are providing?

Anyways - what kind of consulting do you do?

Financial Consulting

You should be fine with the paypal buttons for what you're doing. If you plan doing any recurring business or anything of that sort, while possible on paypal, it would be a lot easier handling this with some billing software.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You should be fine with the paypal buttons for what you're doing. If you plan doing any recurring business or anything of that sort, while possible on paypal, it would be a lot easier handling this with some billing software.
    That makes sense, i'll have to come up with something different for that, thanks.

If you're doing consulting, I'm going to assume you won't actually be receiving any money until some sort of contact has been made with the buyer.

If that's true, you can just use the PayPal Invoice creator. I'm not sure what you're planning to do...

You can just send them an invoice that way, instead of telling them to go to a specific page on your website and telling them to checkout.

Those buy now buttons have to be preconfigured, so you won't have much flexibility in billing different amounts with the buttons either.

Yes indeed I could just use an invoice configuration...

Quote Originally Posted by janki View Post
    Yes, Motiv is right. You should stick to Buy Now. It's not smart to go for whole free ecommerce cart for your solutions. It will do.
    Thanks Janki.

Yes as people stated before, you don't really need a cart just a paypal button would be enough.

I've had clients that are in consulting grow and run into clients that don't want to have to wait on an emailed link to pay you, so you may need something that offeres more control when accepting payments - again especially being a consultant. If and when that happens you will need a merchant account and gateway that includes a Virtual Terminal - as they're usually cheaper than Paypal's Virtual terminal.
    Your Payment Acceptance Source - www.merchantseek.com

If you have problems with PayPal, specially receiving big payments, I suggest you using 2CheckOut as an intermediary between PayPal/CC's and your business. They won't freeze your account for as little or no reason like PayPal does, specially when receiving middle-big payments.

I think paypal button will be sufficient for your website. Just check the Paypal commission/charges. It seems they are higher than other payment gateways.

MetaLinks has a free cart. When I had my hosting company, we had a client that was using it. It is pretty basic, but is supports product size and color options for stores selling clothing, shoes, etc. They have a few versions and you can compare the features.

My take on that will be on the nature of the services you provide. If you have a wide range of services and charge different fees, don't you think a shopping cart will be more preferable for your clients to better understand what they are being billed for?
    But if it is on a PAY-AS-GO bases, a buy now button is most preferable.

<< Signatures are to be set up via profiles only. >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-14-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Paypal shopping is cart is recommended because no maintenance is required here. If you personalise and want it free then you can try opencart.

Zen Cart™ truly is the art of e-commerce; free, user-friendly, open source shopping cart software.
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

you may not need a shopping cart but you need a billing to record and generate invoice because i know that financial consultant are not cheap, is better do have thing done in black and white and keep more information.
    Without a billing system, client may not trust on you.

PayPal good start

I recommend you stick with paypal until you get to 1,500 or more in monthly credit card payments a month. Then it is a better value to go bank direct through a shopping cart & processor. Some processors can integrate your site without a shopping cart feature.
    Good luck.
    Linda
    Total Apps

Opencart and Zencart are the best

I think paypal button is enough