Question Help for a fellow designer....

I was wondering what people used for contracts.....If you have a contract template thingy or just a random contract, could you please email it to me so I can get a sense of what is in it? Thanks in advance!!
    Colin

You may want to check out the book Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers from Allworth Press. It's got a generic Web design contract plus some other useful stuff. (ISBN: 158115030X)

Disclaimer: IANAL.

FWIW, all jurisdictions I know of work on a "common meaning" interpretation of contracts... ie, there is no requirement for any of the formal language you normally see in contracts. As long as there is a clear meaning, the contract is valid and means whatever the "Joe Average the intelligent well-informed citizen" thinks it means.

Oklay, but.....

I will be working for a VERY legal minded company and they are going to want a contract.

-IntelHosting, thanks for the tip, I think I'll pick it up!

Thanks!!
    Colin

I'm assuming you're writing up a RFP (request for proposal). What you need to do is outline everything that's going to get done and the time frame in which it is going to get done. Make a few "sign here" places and you'd be fine. Just make sure you leave buffer room for extra expenses and make in non-disclosure.

If the company is really paranoid then get a high-priced intellectual property (if that's what they're still calling them...) lawyer and add it onto the price of the design. I'm assuming the design must be over $10,000 for a company requesting such a detailed contract, so the extra price of the lawyer should be chump change to them.