Linux V/s Windows

Which one is better.

This is a question that can't be answered. If one was 100% better in every way, the other wouldn't exist.
    If you ask me, for MOST scenarios, Linux is a better choice. But it really depends.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Hello,

It depends what is your hosted application, and if it's PHP/MySQL then you could use Linux, if it's ASP.NET/MS SQL then you could use Windows.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Windows Web hosting information and resources.

Depends on what you want to do and what your requirements are. They both excel in their certain areas but I must say Windows 2008 does a great job running PHP/MySQL and it also runs Apache as well.

Usually if your requirements were ASP.NET and MS SQL you would go Windows, but if you had a client come along that needed PHP and MySQL rest assured that you could also host that client on Windows without issue.

Use linux hosting for php sites, cheaper & more compatible.
    Windows support php & mysql but may require some tweaks to run complicated php script.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost View Post
    Windows support php & mysql but may require some tweaks to run complicated php script.
    Tweaks such as?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

I'm sure theirs plenty of Windows PHP applications without any "Tweaks"

Had to throw my .02cents in on this one ! Although pressed for time atm. Can not resist such a question.

Would have to say Linux. Hands down, in so many regards. Not going to overly elaborate on it though. Bill gates is quoted as having said the internet was a passing trend.

If he had his way, the net as we all know it today ... Wouldn't even exist. He's well known for griping at opensource people and software programmers for daring to distribute free quality software to the masses. In a Bill Gates run world, it would be a world full of expensive proprietary software and expensive closed source software support.

Anyone who couldn't afford to pay him and other software giants their cut. Would be slap out of luck. As a result, many resources that are now freely available wouldn't be. There's a technical side for why I dislike Micro$oft too. But many of my strongest objections to windows kinda stuff. Is cause they are a greedy and sleazy software megacorp.

Whole countries are in the process of migrating to opensource. I like the trend and makes me happy knowing everyone who does, is a hit to M$'s bottomline. Keep hoping for one of the linux distro's to evolve to the point that it's so user friendly it emerges to trash M$ in that market too.

Some of which are making leaps and bounds towards that goal. So I'd say ... Linux all the way. Bill gates doesn't need another drive in theatre in his house, lol. He's probably got 3 already.
    Last edited by checkingthisout; 03-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Linux, really. CentOS is the most robust OS there is. It is the Chuck Norris of OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by ComCraft Networks View Post
    Linux, really. CentOS is the most robust OS there is. It is the Chuck Norris of OS's.
    Unless Chuck Norris needed to run an ASP.NET app, well then, he would meet his demise.

Quote Originally Posted by ComCraft Networks View Post
    +1 for Chuck Norris Linux

I personally feel the situation is as others have stated: it really depends on the situation.

Windows Server editions are extremely stable, robust, and pretty nice to work with (IMO). PHP-64 bit is somewhat of a hassle (it can be extremely difficult getting IONCUBE on Windows 64-bit, for example), but I can't think of many gripes beyond that. IIS 7 is perhaps not as feature rich as Apache (though Apache will run on Windows, as others have also stated), but I've found it to be very responsive. In fact, in site load tests with duplicate content, I've noticed that IIS is the faster web server (there are other variables in play, however.)

All-in-all it comes down to both preference, and need though. Over 60,000,000 servers world wide are running Windows---and for a good reason personal to their situations. A similar statement can be made about *nix as well.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

Quote Originally Posted by RS Shamil View Post
    Tweaks such as?
    SEO URL Rewrite in .htaccess file
    That does not work on windows server. You need to rewrite the code with IIS urlrewrite.
    Have you ever tried running kayako on windows server. I'm sure it will take days to get it running with all features that kayako offer.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

SEO URL Rewrite in .htaccess file
    That does not work on windows server. You need to rewrite the code with IIS urlrewrite.
    Have you ever tried running kayako on windows server. I'm sure it will take days to get it running with all features that kayako offer.
    You can import htaccess rewrite rules.

I actually run Kayako V4 on a Windows server. It works, and there's nothing wrong as far as I can see.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Here are some differentiating points that will be useful for choosing one-
    1. Most of the windows hosting provider will provide you support for scripting language like ASP and database like MsSql whereas most of the linux hosting providers will provide you support for scripting language like PHP and database like MySql.
    2. Linux hosting is always cheaper as compared to windows hosting coz most of the sofwtares used on linux servers are open source that is free whereas on windows server most of the softwares are paid and need to be licensed by Microsoft.

Hello Sir,
    Sir it will depends like which language you are using.if you are using php then linux is better for you.if you are using asp.net then windows is better for you.

.htaccess file
    That does not work on windows server.
    Not true.
    Buy this for $150: http://www.micronovae.com/ModRewrite/ModRewrite.html
    I've used that for about 4 years now.

With IIS7, it provides an internalized translation transparent to the user.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Smile

I think it depends that which type of language you are using?if you are using .net than windows server is best and if you are using PHP then linux server is best.

19. Your question isn't framed right. Both linux and windows have pros and cons.

1.Linux has way less viruses than windows.

2.Windows has a better graphical user interface.

3. Windows is better for newbies and normal users.

4.Linux crashes less.

5. Linux offers way more freedom as an open platform.

RE:

Visual = Windows
    Performace = Linux

For hosting you want maximal performace, so linux.

Quote Originally Posted by webhostingscreen View Post
    Your question isn't framed right. Both linux and windows have pros and cons.
    1.Linux has way less viruses than windows.
    2.Windows has a better graphical user interface.
    3. Windows is better for newbies and normal users.
    4.Linux crashes less.
    5. Linux offers way more freedom as an open platform.
    All of that is myth.

Quote Originally Posted by CowHosts View Post
    Visual = Windows
    Performace = Linux
    For hosting you want maximal performace, so linux.
    Same here -- myth.

I often think people who poo-poo Windows servers have never used one.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

both linux and window hosting server offer good speed and performance.The hosting hardware is main factor here.it depends on web hosting provider.but according to me linux hosting is better because its cost is less and you rarely need to deleve into the more advanced functions.

I find linux more stable and less troublemaking. Windows is only good when the MS technologies were used for the site construction, because linux doesn't have the appropriate compatibility.

Linux forever and always