Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Supermicro 8-node Atom 2U server

superserver 2015TA-HTRF 8x Atom D525 nodes in single 2U chassis:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...015TA-HTRF.cfm

supermicro finally comes up with a multi-node server that makes sense! 0.25amp/120v per node x 8 = 2amp per 2U so that you can easily install 64 nodes (8x 8-node 2U) per half 42U cabinet/rack with standard 20amp/120v (16amp usable) power feed from DC.

the 2U comes with 4x hot-swap trays and two Atom nodes (dual-node X7SPT-DF-D525 board) per tray. each node supports 8G RAM (it says 4G, but actually it will do 2x4G=8G), 2x Intel 82576 Gb NIC ports, 3x 2.5" hot-swap drive bays (perfect for 2.5" SSD drives), and IPMI/KVM as well.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Chong, any idea of the prices on these? I can't find anything on pricing anywhere.

Looks sweet. How much would these go for?

Wiredzone lists it at $3,025

Hotswap 1 tray and you have 2 nodes down.. no ?

Those looks interesting. How do you reboot those units?

^ IPMI (I would hope). 8-16 cat5's per 2U would be a _real_ mess though...is demand for Atoms really that high? I know they are great, but really? At this point virtualization should start making more sense...
    Last edited by FastServ; 03-16-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    ^ IPMI (I would hope). 8-16 cat5's per 2U would be a _real_ mess though
    Dell XS11-VX8 -> 12-24 patch cords per 2u

Dedibox.fr has a lot of them with 1 switch for each 2 XS11-VX8 (2x 12 servers) and looks quite organized. I think Dedibox could easily double the number of patch cords yet keeping the rack organized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLJrDJP2NI
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-16-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

This to me is a backwards way of thinking. Performance per watt on an atom is below that of a c2d so what exactly is the point? Visualisation FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    This to me is a backwards way of thinking. Performance per watt on an atom is below that of a c2d so what exactly is the point?
    There is a market.

That movie from dedibox looks really nice Thanks for sharing.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    looks like 4 trays per node (24 total)... that is actually quite impressive.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Dell XS11-VX8 -> 12-24 patch cords per 2u

Dedibox.fr has a lot of them with 1 switch for each 2 XS11-VX8 (2x 12 servers) and looks quite organized. I think Dedibox could easily double the number of patch cords yet keeping the rack organized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLJrDJP2NI
    Very cool video, nicely racked as well
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Performance per watt on an atom is below that of a c2d so what exactly is the point?
    Sometimes the extra performance isn't needed or wanted, so the total power consumption is more important. In that case, the Atom wins by a large margin.

Visualisation FTW.
    Some people still want a physical server. For security reasons, there are some functions that don't belong in a virtualized environment.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    Exactly.

"Eight (8) Nodes in 2U. Two (2) Nodes per Single Hot-swap tray."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X7SPT-DF-D525.jpg  

These are priced at $2875 in the distributor channels. So it will be a bit more from retail shops that need to make profit and also build the machines and provide you with support.

What does that include? Just chassis and motherboard? How about CPUs, memory, and drives?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

You can reduce the cabling overhead by using flat/superflat CAT5 cables.

Doesn´t look a killer product.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    ^ IPMI (I would hope). 8-16 cat5's per 2U would be a _real_ mess though...is demand for Atoms really that high? I know they are great, but really? At this point virtualization should start making more sense...
    I don't think people are willing to pay a lot for an atom. Didn't get anyone interested at 50-60 a month. But there are a lot of people out there who would rather have a low end dedicated server rather than a VPS. So I don't know the exact number of people looking for this, or what they're willing to pay, but there certainly is a market for it. Does a $40/ mo atom or a $40 / mo VPS make more sense? I would probably say the $40 / mo vps makes more sense, but that doesn't mean people will necessarily prefer it.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    Wiredzone lists it at $3,025
    That seems high to me. That's almost $400 per node. Considering you can build a single atom machine with 4GB of RAm and a 1TB drive for under $200... unless you're super space deprived... it doesn't make sense.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

23. considering it comes with "server-class" boards with dual Intel Gb NIC ports, and IPMI+KVM, $375 per node ($3K/8) is not terribly high at all. a single-node mini 1U superserver barebone with X7SPE-HF-D525 board is around $340 (SYS-5015A-EHF-D525), but you can only install ~40 nodes in standard 42U rack. with these 8-node 2U, you can easily have 128 nodes per rack. the 10% premium seems well worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    considering it comes with "server-class" boards with dual Intel Gb NIC ports, and IPMI+KVM, $375 per node ($3K/8) is not terribly high at all. a single-node mini 1U superserver barebone with X7SPE-HF-D525 board is around $340 (SYS-5015A-EHF-D525), but you can only install ~40 nodes in standard 42U rack. with these 8-node 2U, you can easily have 128 nodes per rack. the 10% premium seems well worth it...
    definitely agree with you on these points.

Owing to the number of systems you can get into a rack, you're maybe at $10 / mo in colo vs $35 / mo on a typical 1u server, so far so good. The only issue I see is, your total cost gets to around $450 after hard drive and ram. So to hit 10 month ROI, assuming $0 b/w costs, you've got to be charging $55 / mo.

A similar 1u system with a quad core cpu might run you $800 or so. With the $35 / mo colo cost, you need to hit $115 / mo to get the same ROI as the $55 atom. From my point of view, it's probably easier to sell a $115/mo quad core system than a $55/mo atom. From an "either / or" point of view, I'd definitely not be interested in the atom. In terms of a niche offering some customers might want, then sure, it's a good option considering it has IPMI and a good supermicro board and all of that.

25. Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    definitely agree with you on these points.

Owing to the number of systems you can get into a rack, you're maybe at $10 / mo in colo vs $35 / mo on a typical 1u server, so far so good. The only issue I see is, your total cost gets to around $450 after hard drive and ram. So to hit 10 month ROI, assuming $0 b/w costs, you've got to be charging $55 / mo.

A similar 1u system with a quad core cpu might run you $800 or so. With the $35 / mo colo cost, you need to hit $115 / mo to get the same ROI as the $55 atom. From my point of view, it's probably easier to sell a $115/mo quad core system than a $55/mo atom. From an "either / or" point of view, I'd definitely not be interested in the atom. In terms of a niche offering some customers might want, then sure, it's a good option considering it has IPMI and a good supermicro board and all of that.
    your points seem nothing to do with single-node Atom vs ultra-density multi-node Atom's. it's more or less Atom based server vs all other "normal" processors.

if you do need large Atom based installs for whatever reason or business model, these 8xAtom 2U servers won't cost you much more than dealing with single-Atom servers at equal node count. actually it will be less! just the saving of PDU unit count offsets the slightly higher premium of these 8-node's. 128-node need just single 16-port PDU! with single-node servers, you will need total of EIGHT 16-port PDU's plus 128 power cords to mess with. also, renting or buying one 42U rack definitely costs less than three 42U racks, right?

we have many clients just can't have enough Atom servers, this definitely a good news to them!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-16-2011 at 08:59 PM.

your points seem nothing to do with single-node Atom vs ultra-density multi-node Atom's. it's more or less Atom based server vs all other "normal" processors.

if you do need large Atom based installs for whatever reason or business model, these 8xAtom 2U servers won't cost you much more than dealing with single-Atom servers at equal node count. actually it will be less! just the saving of PDU unit count offsets the slightly higher premium of these 8-node's. 128-node need just single 16-port PDU! with single-node servers, you will need total of EIGHT 16-port PDU's plus 128 power cords to mess with. renting or buying one 42U rack definitely costs less than three 42U racks, right?
    Which is why I agreed with your original points. If you want to do atom rentals, and you're not looking at using some el-cheapo shuttle barebones to get the cost down, this is certainly the best option I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    10 month roi is crazy long though, IMO
    Ditto ....
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    10 month roi is crazy long though, IMO
    Just an example. If you want a shorter ROI, then you may be charging $100 / mo for an atom, which doesn't seem realistic to me

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Just an example. If you want a shorter ROI, then you may be charging $100 / mo for an atom, which doesn't seem realistic to me
    Of course not if you are selling to WHT.

There is a WHOLE WORLD outside of WHT and people will easily pay 1, 2, 300/mo for an Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

There is a WHOLE WORLD outside of WHT and people will easily pay 1, 2, 300/mo for an Atom.
    What level of support would they be expecting for that price? Is this unmanaged, "managed" in the WHT sense of the term, or "managed" in the "gosh we're really earning this $300 / mo we're charging" sense of the term?

We have had customers who really we never hear from and everything runs fine for them, and have had one or two where no amount of money would make me solicit their business if we were starting over from square one. It's a lot harder to hire skilled people to attend to a customer's every wish than it is to buy servers to rent to people.

real *business* IE not webhosting companies have different needs and are more than willing to pay for a stable, quality solution.

Easily? Not exactly the WHOLE WORLD.

In France there are plenty of offers of underpowered dedicated servers starting 9.99 euros/month. Dedibox sells that servers pictured in the above video for 14.99 euros/month.

I had an ATOM D525 250HD 5TB bw 2GB with NetDirekt (DE) and it costs <25 euros/mo.

There is a whole world outside of WHT selling better servers for better prices.

real *business* IE not webhosting companies have different needs and are more than willing to pay for a stable, quality solution.

Agreed.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-17-2011 at 06:01 AM.

if you do need large Atom based installs for whatever reason or business model, these 8xAtom 2U servers won't cost you much more than dealing with single-Atom servers at equal node count. actually it will be less!
    Actually they are not equivalent solutions. If something goes wrong with the single-Atom server I have 1 server down. If the same occurs with the 8xAtom I have at least 2 servers down -- and there is the risk of 8 servers down . Also you can upgrade the motherboard/processor of the some or all single-Atom you have while you can't do it using a proprietary solution.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-17-2011 at 06:15 AM.

35. Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Actually they are not equivalent solutions. If something goes wrong with the single-Atom server I have 1 server down. If the same occurs with the 8xAtom I have at least 2 servers down -- and there is the risk of 8 servers down . Also you can upgrade the motherboard/processor of the some or all single-Atom you have while you can't do it using a proprietary solution.
    well, it's matter of balancing risk vs benefit. true that in order to take care of one bad node out of 8-node, you need to bring down 2 nodes to do it, but at least you can hot-swap the bad node tray with spare one in seconds with minimal downtime.

if this risk is too high for you, or not suitable for your business model, then solution is very simple: don't do it at all! if you worry so much about a bad hot-swap chassis backplane bringing down all 8 nodes, then stay away from this type multi-node chassis or any "blade" type solution. for some blade chassis, a single backplane in 7U blade enclosure runs up to 20 dual Xeon nodes (twin-node on 10 blade trays), I bet you would be sleepless all 365 nights....

so, either you buy into the idea of ultra high density solution or you just don't!

potentially you can install mixed configurations on these type of multi-node chassis such as SC271HQ-R1400B (4x node tray, 24x 2.5" bay) and SC827H-R1400B (4x node tray, 12x 3.5" bay). each 2U chassis can support 4 totally different node types:
    1 tray of dual Intel Xeon DP socket 1366 (X8DTT-HIBQF+ board)
    1 tray of dual AMD opteron socket G34 (H8DGT-HF board)
    1 tray of single Intel Xeon UP socket 1156/1155 (X8SIT-F board)
    1 tray of twin-node Atom (X7SPT-DF-D525 board)

the flexibility is pretty amazing! but again, if you couldn't take the risk of multi-node approach, then just sticked with single-node servers.

I'm not talking about what I think. I said the solutions are not equivalent. Then please stop to use this thread to sell your stuff.

37. who says I'm selling this?! it won't be listed in our server lineup anytime soon, and we don't sell components/barebones at all.

since 2004, I gave free hardware advices and/or diagnostic helps to many WHT members, and not even once I solicited business from any one! many, many long time WHT members, or moderators for that matter, know my track records.

the thread is just for introducing new hardware, and anticipating informative discussions.

who says I'm selling this?! it won't be listed in our server lineup anytime soon, and we don't sell components/barebones at all.

since 2004, I gave free hardware advices and/or diagnostic helps to many WHT members, and not even once I solicited business from any one! many, many long time WHT members, or moderators for that matter, know my track records.

the thread is just for introducing new hardware, and anticipating informative discussions.
    I for one want to say I greatly appreciate the information and advice that you've given here. It's saved me from wasting a lot of money on incompatible hardware, as well as being otherwise informative and educational. Keep it up

It's a trend, maybe

Saw Tyan announced 18 servers in a 4U box today. I, myself, want as many cores inside a single server as possible, not dozens of servers. I am doing HPC, but I know that I am in the minority.

Here is a link which has some opinion & a picture, not just a press release. Found nothing on Tyan's site.

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/03/16/t...-2222u-server/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast