PHP GZIP Decoding?

Hello all, I have been told that I need to add 'Accept-Encoding: compress, gzip' to the header when I retrieve an xml feed. I ended up using...

Code:
    <?php

$cmd='curl -H \"Accept-Encoding: compress, gzip\" http://thesite.com/xmlfile.xml';

exec($cmd,$results);

print_r($results);
    ?>
    This prints the array with the encoded gzip text but I can't seem to decode it, how do I go about that or what is the proper way to do this?

Thanks.

Presumably you have been told to do this to reduce bandwidth usage, and increase the speed of your download?

Try playing with the CURLOPT_ENCODING option: this will make cURL decompress the content automatically:
    http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_e...URLOPTENCODING
    CURLOPT_ENCODING

Sets the contents of the Accept-Encoding: header sent in an HTTP request, and enables decoding of a response when a Content-Encoding: header is received. Three encodings are supported: identity, which does nothing, deflate which requests the server to compress its response using the zlib algorithm, and gzip which requests the gzip algorithm. If a zero-length string is set, then an Accept-Encoding: header containing all supported encodings is sent.

This is a request, not an order; the server may or may not do it. This option must be set (to any non-NULL value) or else any unsolicited encoding done by the server is ignored. See the special file lib/README.encoding for details.
    Incidentally, unless there is a compelling reason not to do so, I would use php's curl functions rather than shelling out and running the cURL binary.

HTH,

Simon