Building my Wordpress web page with a Atahualpa theme

I had been using a standard type theme titled, "Silent Film". After expressing my frustration over trying to customize the page I was convinced to try using the more customizable theme called "Atahualpa". I tried it earlier but I was so unfamiliar with the whole web page building process that I gave up. Now that I am a little more familiar with some of the workings and now that I have had offers of help I will try again. To start I will discribe what I have done so far.

I have installed and activated the Atahualpa theme to the page that I had already started http://early1900photos.com/ . Then I went to the Wordpress Dashboard and clicked on appearance>themes>Atahualpa theme options. On this page it was very easy to see how to upload images for my header. I uploaded an image and saw that it was quite large so I went to my Gimp image editor and scaled the image down and then re-uploaded it. I also adjusted the size of the display window. PERFECT!
    Next I uploaded a second image so I could cause them to alternate being displayed in the banner. Although it tells how to do this mine would not rotate, I think because I do not have JavaScript in my Linux pc. But I did make a setting to cause them to alternate each time the page is loaded. Next I went to the "body, text and links" config window and made some changes to my logo (which I do not like) and eliminated the search box.

So, I am now making progress and feel a lot more comfortable than I did before. I am looking forward to everyones comments and suggestions. Tomorrow I will spend some more time thinking about what I wnat to do, now that I see that I actually CAN do something.

I thought it a bit too much to have my banner image stretch all the way across the screen so I edited the images to include some vintage cameras on the sides. It would be better to accomplish this by using three seperate images but I have not figured that out yet. For now I need to edit each image that I use to include the cameras. Joehark, can you help me with that?

Today I removed the title and tagline which was above the banner by going to "Atahualpa theme options">"header area">"style &edit header area" and choosing "no" in the appropriate areas. I then adjusted the title and tagline in the box overlaying the banner by going to "header area">"style &edit header area" and changing the color of the title and tagline fonts and then going to "header image" and changing the position and background of the text area.

I now have removed the left and right columns, making the cody a big open space for photo display. At least thats my plan. I removed the columns at "sidebars & widgets">"style & config sidebars" and unchecked the appropriate boxes. My next big step is to find a plugin to make a gallery that satisfies me.

Been searching through plugins to find a suitable photo gallery and checkout. Got my eye on a couple possibilities. With thousands of plugins it is not an easy job to chose. So if anyone has some suggestions of plugins to look at I would like to hear about them.