Smile jumping onto the train :-)

hi all

my name is randy and i just started. i am aware that i am a total newbie and i have to learn a lot of things yet. but i am not total stupid. at least i have good linux knowledge as well as php.
    so far i have built up a server from parts i got from ebay. i did not buy a complete ready to go server because i really wanted to learn the matter. what i have here now i a HP proliant DL360 G3 with 2x dual 3.2GHz CPU, 4GB Ram and 2 SCSI harddisk, each 147GB. The server has yet 1 PSU only but i just got another one on ebay as well.
    i believe that is a good start hardware-wise. i have installed ubuntu server with the latest version of EHCP which gives me as much of freedom as cPanel or confixx. for the client managing stuff i am using WHMCS.

my first question would be: i plan to start with colounlimmited the cheapest possible package to start with. since i have no customers yet i believe the 10Mbps is good enough until i host a few pages with regulary access? i must say that i live in england and i will have to send the server with fedex to the datacenter.
    is there any advice which datacenter i should use? or doen't that matter? i belive they have several datacenters, right?
    also, i have heard that if i make my prices to cheap, customers demand just to much and become cheeky etc. so i will use the average price, you guys offer. (from 5.99$ +)
    any good advise or tips you guys can spare for a absolut beginner whoch has no job and is strugling to survive but just desperately is looking for a way to make some aditional $$$ (i am just happy if in total i make 50$ a month)
    btw. as registrar i am using eNom which allows me to use their service directly from my website with a script (automated registering)

im greatfull for any ideas and tips, even if they sound stupid.
    thanks a lot for the help

randy

Hello Randy,

My advice:
    The hardware you plan to use is ancient and will take far too much electricity that will surely increases your colocation fees significantly. I did not hear you mention ILO so i assume its not there or the license is not active anymore.
    Trash that server and buy or rent a modern HP, Dell or Supermicro server that has several times that servers CPU power, is more reliable and uses far less electricity.
    Make sure to get a server with on-board management active (ILO, DRAC enterprise or Supermicro IPMI 2.0) as these support KVM/IP with remote media as well as various health checks for your server.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Hello Randy,

I did not hear you mention ILO so i assume its not there or the license is not active anymore.
    hi swift,
    the server i have has a light out thing? but i dont know what exactly this is? i think i can activate it in the BIOS? but i did not touch it since i dont know what it is? but at the startup it says something about a "light out"

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Trash that server and buy or rent a modern HP, Dell or Supermicro server that has several times that servers CPU power, is more reliable and uses far less electricity.
    Make sure to get a server with on-board management active (ILO, DRAC enterprise or Supermicro IPMI 2.0) as these support KVM/IP with remote media as well as various health checks for your server.
    ok, i see i have to google all this because this sounds like "trainstation" to me. but unfotunately i have to live with this server for the moment as i absolutely have no $$$ to buy a new/better one. is my configuration so bad? i mean 2x CPU dual 3.2GHz xeon with 4GB RAM and 2x 146GB HDD? i know you dont want to discourage me and i am sure you are right with what you say and believe me if i had 500$ left i probably would follow your advice. i surely will as soon as i can but at the moment i have to use what i have. but thanks for the advice, tough

Randy
    Last edited by peroja; 03-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peroja View Post
    hi all

my name is randy and i just started. i am aware that i am a total newbie and i have to learn a lot of things yet. but i am not total stupid. at least i have good linux knowledge as well as php.
    so far i have built up a server from parts i got from ebay. i did not buy a complete ready to go server because i really wanted to learn the matter. what i have here now i a HP proliant DL360 G3 with 2x dual 3.2GHz CPU, 4GB Ram and 2 SCSI harddisk, each 147GB. The server has yet 1 PSU only but i just got another one on ebay as well.
    i believe that is a good start hardware-wise. i have installed ubuntu server with the latest version of EHCP which gives me as much of freedom as cPanel or confixx. for the client managing stuff i am using WHMCS.

my first question would be: i plan to start with colounlimmited the cheapest possible package to start with. since i have no customers yet i believe the 10Mbps is good enough until i host a few pages with regulary access? i must say that i live in england and i will have to send the server with fedex to the datacenter.
    is there any advice which datacenter i should use? or doen't that matter? i belive they have several datacenters, right?
    also, i have heard that if i make my prices to cheap, customers demand just to much and become cheeky etc. so i will use the average price, you guys offer. (from 5.99$ +)
    any good advise or tips you guys can spare for a absolut beginner whoch has no job and is strugling to survive but just desperately is looking for a way to make some aditional $$$ (i am just happy if in total i make 50$ a month)
    btw. as registrar i am using eNom which allows me to use their service directly from my website with a script (automated registering)

im greatfull for any ideas and tips, even if they sound stupid.
    thanks a lot for the help

randy
    How much will it cost to ship?
    Once shiped including power rackspace and bandwidth how much will it cost a month?
    Where are your main costoners going to be?
    Why not host here in the uk personally I'm a bw hog and take 3 gig t1 dedicated symmetric transit from 3 t1 providers and peer. So beacause of that the e and n are the only places I am and probably will ever be. But I know people who sell 1u Colo with more bw than you'll ever need and enough power inside 45 quid/mo

@connected

after shipping it will cost me about 70 a month. inclusive power and 1 IP adress. i had a offer for 149 here in the UK with a setup fee of 499...total rip off.
    in the US i pay 99$ setup and for a 10mb line 49$ or for a 100mbps i pay 99$
    shipping cost me 100 with UPS. i am in brighton area. and you?

randy

hey peroja,

you need to have another look, as you can find a much better deal in the UK, i know a few places that could accomodate your erver for under 60 pcm, maybe even as low as 45. So keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by peroja View Post
    @connected

after shipping it will cost me about 70 a month. inclusive power and 1 IP adress. i had a offer for 149 here in the UK with a setup fee of 499...total rip off.
    in the US i pay 99$ setup and for a 10mb line 49$ or for a 100mbps i pay 99$
    shipping cost me 100 with UPS. i am in brighton area. and you?

randy
    So it will cost you in essence 190 quid setup and 110 quid /mo all told. I live in mk racks in Docklands tho. I know Manchester dcs are real cheap and there's a decent DC couple miles away from me here in mk that will oder you all that- free setup and 45 quid a month including EVERYTHING bw power rackspace ect Manchester may be even cheaper than that. Do you want the address of the guys offering that Colo in mk?

MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

Yeah ideally if you want to colo it's best to find something within driving distance unless you wish to pay the datacenter remote hands hourly to fix something if any issues occur. That would just increase your bill.

naaah i just decieded to start of with FDC. as i am just beginning i dont need all the top stuff and since i will have iLO i can access my server remotely, unless a hardware crash occures. and because i am currently in england does not mean i will stay here ;-) i actually plan to come home by the next year.