little helps for specs?

I'm quite new on this since I just used cheap shared hosting for my websites, but now I'm planning to make a decent flash game portal with a cms.

a website of this type will kill the bandwith and i have no idea how much scripts will affect cpu and ram.

so i was thinking about a managed VPS, any advice about the cpu and ram needed?

and i will need a mail server too for massive outgoing mail traffic, can it be in the same vps or i have to rend another one?

Having the same general problems you are myself. Though our situations are different. My opinion on it at this point. You just have to find some hosting companies offering packages that look like they'd be a good fit for the site you have in mind. Then really start digging into them.

To try to find out if they are good hosting companies or not. I think it's just a good idea to test the waters and keep a back up, in case you choose the wrong one. Like say paying month to month for awhile and keep the best runner up hosting company that you were considering handy. So you can move to them if the hosting company you're with turns out to be a dud.

It's insane the number of hosting companies out there. Competition is one thing, 120 million web hosts isn't competition imo, it's CRAZY !
    Last edited by checkingthisout; 03-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.

It really depends how many visitors your website will be serving at any point in time, if you could provide a rough figure it would allow readers to provide their insights better. As for emailing, most shared hosting providers already allow around 300-500 emails per hour, a VPS would allow much more, so I don't think you would need an additional VPS if you are headed in the VPS direction.
    HostStellar.com - Stellar Shared and Reseller Hosting
    Features: LiteSpeed Powered | R1Soft Backup (6 hourly) | RVSiteBuilder Pro | Jailed SSH Access
    Guarantees: 24/7/365 Stellar Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.9% Uptime SLA

more competition = better prices (and maybe in some case more overselling?)

anyway i just need specs or if i need a managed dedicated server, so i can start plan the budget =)

You are in a kind of Catch-22. Until you know how the script affects the server, you won't know what kind of hardware you need.

In some cases, a VPS will not perform as well as a shared account.

If you are OK with working from the shell, and can harden the VPS, I would start with perhaps an unmanaged 1GB VPS and see how the script runs. That would not be too expensive. If you are not a "linux master", you would have to get a managed VPS, and that can be a bit pricey.

You could try it on a shared account, but the host might not be that tolerant of developing and testing software on his accounts!

NEWB HERE, although they say I'm a junior wannabe. Still consider myself a newb on the topic of web hosting.

Too many choices, imo .. Mean's too much confusion. Not so much better pricing. Cause the guys at the top are setting the baseline on pricing. Then it becomes a matter of purchasing power. Like the size of the hosting company. A bigger operator is going to be able to offer better pricing. Cause they are better est in the industry.

So in my view, about 80+% of the hosting companies become obsolete. With so many of them in the industry. Just my opinion, again noting NEWB HERE. If you can afford a dedicated server and are sure the site you envision is going to justify one. Then by all means, why not get yourself one from the outset.

If you're not sure, or don't have the budget. Then maybe VPS, or even a reseller package from one of the shared hosting companies could fit the bill. If you have a particular CMS in mind. Like joomla, drupal, wordpress ... w/e you're looking at. Then I would google search for a big forum devoted to that software platform and see what people using it recommend in terms of best hosting.

Though would still take the time to really look around and research what comes up. Plus finding a real online community, ie: A forum where real users of that platform gather and discuss things. Cause like in wordpress for example. WP.org highly recommends bluehost hosting. While much of what I've seen, indicates bluehost is a sucky host. Not going to add any recommendations of hosts I've come across. Cause I don't have experience with them. Regardless of how good they looked. Means I don't really know.

Besides what's the recommendation of someone you don't know. Recommending a host that you don't know ... really worth ? I'm sure you'll get plenty of that anyway. Just for the sake of clarification. Are you meaning specs as in hardware ? Specs as in VPS etc packages being offered ? Specs as in est how much of what your site is going to use/need ?

My view on that, it's impossible to tell. If it's the last one. Depends on you. One person using wordpress for example. If they know what they're doing with it. Could get by on a shared hosting plan. While someone who has no idea what they're doing with it. Would probably get kicked off that same shared server double quick. Shrugs.

Either way good luck, fellow searcher for good web hosting.

Last edited by checkingthisout; 03-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koilos View Post
    I'm quite new on this since I just used cheap shared hosting for my websites, but now I'm planning to make a decent flash game portal with a cms.

a website of this type will kill the bandwith and i have no idea how much scripts will affect cpu and ram.

so i was thinking about a managed VPS, any advice about the cpu and ram needed?

and i will need a mail server too for massive outgoing mail traffic, can it be in the same vps or i have to rend another one?
    Do you have a particular budget you are looking to stay within?

Also, approx how many emails do you plan to send per hour?

Any other info you can provide regarding the types of scripts you will be running would be very helpful (I wouldnt be so much concerned with the bandwidth as I would making sure you have a powerful enough CPU and enough memory to handle the load your flash game will put on the server).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

- websites will mostly use joomla, i know very little how joomla db and scritpts affect the resources. At the actual shared hosting i have 10 websites, but testing the flashgame site i feel the menu is a bit lagging and load time quite long.

-and about the emails the target of 100.000 per month is enough, it might increase if everything goes well and my friend buy more databases.

-budget is more or less 600$ per year

i just need that games are loaded fast enough for visitors and everything is smooth, it would be a pity to lose visitors because i want save 5$ or 10$ per month

Quote Originally Posted by koilos View Post
    - websites will mostly use joomla, i know very little how joomla db and scritpts affect the resources. At the actual shared hosting i have 10 websites, but testing the flashgame site i feel the menu is a bit lagging and load time quite long.

-and about the emails the target of 100.000 per month is enough, it might increase if everything goes well and my friend buy more databases.

-budget is more or less 600$ per year

i just need that games are loaded fast enough for visitors and everything is smooth, it would be a pity to lose visitors because i want save 5$ or 10$ per month
    Although Joomla is somewhat of a resource hog, I really dont see it being much of a problem unless you start getting large amount of visitors. I think to start with any of the following packages will do you just fine...

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/vps/ (hostdime)

https://clients.vpslatch.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1 (VPS Latch)

** please note, I have never worked with either of the above companies, but I did recently have a discussion with someone on WHT that mentioned they were happy with their service).

With that being said, for the most part, Im just sending you the above links for example of packages that might work best for you.

Hope that helps!
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

One more, then I'll bugger off and let the rest the folks here hit you up with their advice. Giving myself another 28mins to screw around. Then I have to get to work myself.

There's your 1st problem imo. You're planning on a joomla site. But seems like you're saying you don't know joomla. Would say one of the best things you can do at this point, is take the time to research that CMS platform.

Would definitely visit forums about it. Plenty online where joomla users are going to go and discuss it. They'd be able to tell you much more about it than most people here I think. Sure there's plenty of folks w experience in joomla who come here. But it's more devoted to hosting ya know ?

But learning about the software you intend to use. Seems to me to be a good 1st step for ya. Cause time you invest now. Will pay off later, probably help you avoid a bunch of problems and headaches down the road.

Again using wordpress as an example. As mentioned, two people can get entirely different results with it. Based on how much homework they've done on using it. Someone who just pops it onto a server. But hasn't taken any time to learn about it. Gonna have tons of needless headaches.

Just my opinion on it. But it's better to do your homework ahead of time. Than just rush into something and then try to deal with mistakes as they come up. That's A LOT of pain in the butt and aggravation. Mistakes can usually always be corrected true. But would rather avoid them in the 1st place. Instead of trying to sort them out later.

As for how much CPU/RAM and db. Going to depend on how you've got your site config'ed. What plugins you decide to use. Whether you're caching etc so forth. Which is why I'd take the time to research joomla beforehand. And find a good forum on the topic to get feedback from people who use it everyday.

ie: Again wordpress, cause it's what I have in mind for what I have in mind. Joomla is probably much better for what you're talking about doing for YOU. Cause it's strictly a CMS, where WP, is more meant as a blogging platform. That can be made to be a cms. But with WP, if you do a google search. Plenty of people out there telling folks to use plugins that will get them in trouble on shared hosting from the very beginning.

So I'd find people who are hosting joomla sites. Then try to learn from them as regards just about anything from hosting to what resources you'll use. Also plenty of ebooks on the topic. Available for free if you know where to look. Can't hurt downloading a bunch and at least skimming through them.

jmo's etc.
    Last edited by checkingthisout; 03-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Although Joomla is somewhat of a resource hog, I really dont see it being much of a problem unless you start getting large amount of visitors.
    i heard it too, but I'm used to this cms

i think i won't have much visitors, but as start point with my last try for a game website i had an average of 200-250 visitors per day and some of them were on site for 8 hours (probably office hard workers )