Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DELL server with this specs, how much could I get best?

We are looking for getting a dell servr with this specs

note that we know how to go to dell.com to configure it, but also know dell's price might vary from different sals person/manager we contact? and special method or way to get discounts? or any suggestions? such as we do not buy drives from dell.com, but go to newegg instead?

Dual Intel E5620
    16G DDR3 ECC RAM
    SAS 15K 300G x2 RAID1
    4 HD bays max
    1-2U

thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

Dell discounts vary based on how much you purchase from them and the time of year. If you catch them at the end of a financial quarter you are likely to get the best discounts. Expect 10-20% off list price on a single server purchase.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-SZ View Post
    We are looking for getting a dell servr with this specs

note that we know how to go to dell.com to configure it, but also know dell's price might vary from different sals person/manager we contact? and special method or way to get discounts? or any suggestions? such as we do not buy drives from dell.com, but go to newegg instead?

Dual Intel E5620
    16G DDR3 ECC RAM
    SAS 15K 300G x2 RAID1
    4 HD bays max
    1-2U

thanks!
    Call Justin Bush here: http://www.vistacomputer.net

I have a direct dell rep that can do 25-30% for my account, see what Justin can do and PM me if you need the rep.

That config sounds like a good fit for an R410, you may consider the R610 depending on how many Vista has in stock they go get cheaper.
    Last edited by Visbits; 03-14-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!
      0 Not allowed!

probably cheaper to get it from supermicro
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    probably cheaper to get it from supermicro
    Your joking right? Who wants a whitebox junker anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

Since its Supermicro, its not white box.
    Maybe you are used to building amateur kiddy boxes that just have the Supermicro case. I am talking about a full Supermicro server.

Anyways, its plain to see that if you are being serious, you don't know what you are talking about (i cant tell if you are joking).
    There are many, many Supermicro users here and all of them use them for a reason.
    I'm not going to both replying to your next post, because I'm sure its just going to be trolling from someone who actually has absolutely no foot, hand, or skin in the server game and is an armchair expert at all things hosting.
    Last edited by ItsChrisG; 03-14-2011 at 01:35 AM.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management
      0 Not allowed!

supermicro is great to us I must say

just client specifies DELL this time, so we need it
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Call Justin Bush here: http://www.vistacomputer.net

I have a direct dell rep that can do 25-30% for my account, see what Justin can do and PM me if you need the rep.

That config sounds like a good fit for an R410, you may consider the R610 depending on how many Vista has in stock they go get cheaper.
    I see they sell "Dell Recertified" , what does that mean in reality?
      0 Not allowed!

I see they sell "Dell Recertified" , what does that mean in reality?
    refurbished
      0 Not allowed!

do you guys really buy every part from DELL? such as 146G SAS 15K drive is only $150 ish at newegg.com, on DELL , it is more than $250~!
      0 Not allowed!

When I bought from dell I was able to get discounts by sending them quotes from other server builders like rackmountsetc. When I bought from my rep I believe it was a bit more than the quote I sent him, but if you need dell gear it may be a way to get the discount your looking for. I also never bought drives or extra ram from dell.

Haven't bought from them in a couple years. Mostly use Supermicro servers now.
      0 Not allowed!

do you guys really buy every part from DELL? such as 146G SAS 15K drive is only $150 ish at newegg.com, on DELL , it is more than $250~!
    If you want the warranty that is attached to it...
      0 Not allowed!

Dell's pricing goes up and down throughout the year, it's dam annoying trying to base product lines on it if your not getting all the servers in one go...

Only real way to get a pricing discount on them is to buy in quantity, some servers you will get quite a substantial discount others not so much.

Another way of doing it is buying just the chassis from them. I needed a few 32GB server's recently and it was a lot cheaper to get them from Dell with 1GB RAM in (they don't ship server's without RAM) and then get the full amount separately.

Not too bothered about the warranty but stick the 1GB back in and who would ever know?
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!
      0 Not allowed!

Find someone that can offer a good discount for you. Some hosting companies may be able to, if you colo in their datacenter(s).
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanah-Sales View Post
    There is a reason probably 80% of the largest dedicated hosts around are using Supermicro (and its not just "cost"). Far far from white-box junkers. Truly hope this comment was a joke.

Cough rackspace! COUGH THEPLANET COUGHHHHHHHHHH.....COUGH HOSTGATOR COUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

80%? The cheapass providers use it and they are a whitebox.

Whitebox = assembled from untested as a unit parts.
      0 Not allowed!

Personally I think both Dell and Supermicro are fine brands. I've used both and still continue to do so and both have the same reliability. I don't see anything wrong with Supermicro, they're their own brand too. It is almost always cheaper to have a custom built supermicro server compared to a Dell server though, and both would often offer on par performance and reliability.
      0 Not allowed!

Dont forget the "enterprise DRAC" which costs a fortune, but "-F" Supermicro motherboards come the same features for approx $60 more than non "-F."

Honestly, only go with Dell if you need the 4 hour on site service plan (which you have to pay for).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Dont forget the "enterprise DRAC" which costs a fortune, but "-F" Supermicro motherboards come the same features for approx $60 more than non "-F."

Honestly, only go with Dell if you need the 4 hour on site service plan (which you have to pay for).
    You can get the express for $25 and enterprise for $70 from Vista.

Its $225 for enterprise through dell.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    I must add, or a 4 yr + uptime
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    I must add, or a 4 yr + uptime
    :-) Agreed.
      0 Not allowed!

They only thing that turned me off (seriously) was when I asked them about their support

ME: "my vendor sends me failed part replacement in next day air"

Dell rep : Yes we do have a gold support package $2500/year someone will come in and change the part that has failed on the server in 4 hours, all you have to do is just pay for the part.

LMAO
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Your joking right? Who wants a whitebox junker anyway.
    Is this a joke? Lord I hope so.
      0 Not allowed!

Supermicro systems are a name brand in servers and in my experience are just as reliable as Dell servers are.

We have nearly 8,000 Supermicro servers and we've always been really happy with them. If you're shopping for a name brand server, it would behoove you to include Supermicro and HP hardware in your search as that will give you more choice.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by danushman View Post
    Supermicro systems are a name brand in servers and in my experience are just as reliable as Dell servers are.

We have nearly 8,000 Supermicro servers and we've always been really happy with them. If you're shopping for a name brand server, it would behoove you to include Supermicro and HP hardware in your search as that will give you more choice.

Dan
    Except for the one that ate itself at x10 and took the DC like 4 hours to *figure out what went wrong* to just get him back online.

Hardly, do supermicro servers have a central management system that lets you monitor every single piece of the physical hardware and alert you when a device fails? NO they don't your using whatever raid controller with whatever drives and whatever other componets. You don't have ability to monitor power consumption or temps and fans speeds for every device in the system from one location seamlessly.

And the even bigger part of this picture, you can't go to supermicro and say I need this spec and have it show up, you have to go through a place that *builds white box servers* and sells them.

HP,IBM,Dell,Lenovo all have a central management system that allows this, supermicro does not. Its a whitebox system however you put it, unless they sell every single part with their label on it and test it for 100% compatibility and make it interact at a central location its a box of assembled parts. AKA WHITEBOX.
    Last edited by Visbits; 03-15-2011 at 03:58 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
    They only thing that turned me off (seriously) was when I asked them about their support

ME: "my vendor sends me failed part replacement in next day air"

Dell rep : Yes we do have a gold support package $2500/year someone will come in and change the part that has failed on the server in 4 hours, all you have to do is just pay for the part.

LMAO
    If you get the gold support package for 3 years (extra $300 or something) when you buy the product they will have a replacement part to you within 4 hours. We've had parts in 45 minutes before, they have a logistics center down the road from our primary DC.

Who the hell needs onsite?? If you need onsite you shouldn't own your hardware.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast