Windows VPS Hosting Questions

Our company currently rents game servers, voice servers, and dedicated machines. There aren't too many game server companies that currently offer VPS solutions with the intention of having game servers ran on them. There does seem to be a fair amount of interest in this from the client base though so I am looking into it.

1) I am looking at possibly setting us up with SolusVM and Xen. Can Xen be installed on a Windows host or does it require a linux host OS and just support Windows as a guest OS? All of our company machines are running server 2008 so I am looking for a good solution that will run on it.

2) I was originally looking into Hyper-V, but it seems cost prohibitive. If I remember correctly, a VPS runs on a single core, where Hyper-V can be assigned to multiple. Is this correct?

3) It seems the main concern that I have found from running game servers in a VPS is bad performance. I have seen responses that said this can be done without issue as long as they are not overloaded (i.e. not the 'standard' vps). Is there any feedback I can get on this?

Thanks

Ever thought about reselling Cloud servers from an enterprise provider that offers bulk discounts? Just a thought.

Liking Windows 2008 R2? Lovely OS I must say

I don't know a lot about Cloud servers, but I can't really see how that would work for running game servers at all. My understanding is that it basically spreads the work load over multiple machines. Almost all game server applications are just a single threaded application, not something that can really be distributed.

I do like Server 2008 R2 quite a lot.

I am trying to find a good SPLA reseller for it. The companies old owner used Insight, but there reseller portion of the site is making my head pulsate.

Yeah may check out a Microsoft Gold Hosting Partner that has a SPLA and not outrageous prices.

An enterprise cloud can easily run game servers. Stick to one vCPU for single threaded applications.

Some companies may offer a trial in some cases depending on how many virtual servers you would be planning on purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGT View Post
    2) I was originally looking into Hyper-V, but it seems cost prohibitive. If I remember correctly, a VPS runs on a single core, where Hyper-V can be assigned to multiple. Is this correct?
    Hyper-V VPS can have up to 4 cores.
    The main reason Hyper-V VPS is more expensive because Ram allocated is dedicated.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

^^ pretty correct..

On another note, I've seen several customers using games on Hyper-V VPS' with very good performance. You will need to select spec that is decent enough to handle the traffic that you are going to have. Also, look for a scalable solution whereby you can upgrade your VM to higher plan without any hassle resetting the VM from scratch - this should just require a simple configuration change + reboot.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's