experiences with uk2

I have a new UKG800 with UK2 and I am seeing some strange behavior that makes me wonder if this dedicated server is really a VM. I would like to know if others have experiences that they can share.

Some background: I've had dedicated servers at The Planet for years, and more recently have servers with 100TB. All the boxes run Windows server.

So, of all the hardware I have ever had, the specs for the UK2 server are the best, but the performance of my MySql queries is pretty much the worst on the UK2 box. And by worst, it is worse even than the virtual machines running on my laptop. It is not *always* bad, but rather frequently and/or randomly bad.

This is puzzling, since it is an identical database, identical OS, and identical MySql database software, so performance should be at least the same or better on this high end hardware, but the queries take like 10x longer.

The other strange thing that I have seen is that on all my other dedicate servers, running the very same software, bandwidth throughput as shown in task manager has no sudden dips. But on the UK2 server, I see these strange downward spikes in bandwidth that I have never seen before.

The actual software running on the boxes is a video conferencing hub. So, it uses almost no CPU, and just forwards network packets. The only DB queries are login / logout, so even this creates very little load. So, we have a low-cpu-using box that should produce steady output bandwidth and very fast db queries. And it does, absolutely everywhere, except on this new UK2 box.

Any ideas / experiences would be greatly appreciated.

If its a linux server, try running " ls pci " to see if theres any kind of emulated / VM hardware on the system?
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

It is Windows 2008. Any similar tools available?

Other than device manager in the control panel? Im not sure.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

What I can see:
    Supermicro X8STi
    Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07 GHz (4 cores, 8 logical processors)
    1 Intel ICH8R/ICH9R.ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
    82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    8GB DDR3

So, nothing that looks like a VM...

What's the first half of your MAC address? usually the biggest give away for Hyper-V

Also check the process manager for any hypervisor tools etc...

However I would be very shocked if they have miss sold you a VM...
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I would also be shocked if they gave me a VM -- seems very unlikely. Yet, there is the poor performance that I continue to see. And, no, I don't see hypervisor tools running. How would I recognize a Hyper-V MAC address?

Now, this is the first RAID1 box I have ever used, but that should not slow things down any. In any case, the software is not in any way disk intensive. I'm at a loss for what to do about it. The UKG800 is a super deal, with good ping times to my clients, but the query performance is not so good.

What kind of disk throughput are you are getting on this box? You can try with a took like DiskTT with test file size of 100Mb and block size of 1024. Anything around 125 - 150 Mbps on RAID 1 should be decent.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

I will check out DiskTT for a benchmark.

I do have more information now after running more tests. It seems that queries done in isolation take about 10x more time than other servers, while queries done under load take about the same time. I'm not sure what that means, except that my previous tests did not really indicate the actual performance. It's possible that the RAID controller has some caching strategy at work that would produce this result, but I can't see why it would behave differently than solo SATA drives.

As for the other unusual symptom, the downward bandwidth spikes, I am seeing almost none of that now, so my suspicion is a transient condition on the network external to the server. I have no way of knowing.

Now I'm running limited user trials with added instrumentation to watch performance at various levels. So far so good, but the heavy loads have not begun yet. I'll keep the community posted.