opinions on "VPS for Images"

Hello has an adult site and need to host the images on a server, I thought of a VPS.

I would like your help to choose a good setting for VPS and what technology to use?

apache or nginx or varnish or ubuntu or centos or freebsd oe debian.

Thanks to everyone who can help.

How about a minimal Debian install plus thttpd (a tiny, low-memory HTTP server that excels at static content). Do it on a Xen, KVM or VMWare VPS (not OpenVZ) with as much memory as you can afford. The excess, unused memory will be used for file caching. Just a thought

Depends how many requests / second and also the size of the images, and the amount of ram / type of virtualization.

If you've got say, <1gb of images, then Xen can be a great option because it allows for real disk caching with your extra memory. So long as you have enough free ram to hold all your images, they'll automatically sit in ram and not have to load up the disks. In this case, it should handle any number of requests / second.

If you have a lot more images than what will fit in ram, you need to make sure the disk i/o isn't going to overload what the VPS provider is willing to give you. A typical VPS server with 4 SATA disks in raid 10 can do maybe 600 read requests / second, so if you're one of, say, 30 users on that system, your "fair share" is 20 requests / second in that situation. Maybe you could do 40 or 50, but more than that would be pushing it without checking with the host first about what they allow. If you're not doing very many requests / second, then it should be fine either way.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

nginx can be good for static content like image, also consider to use vps with high disk i/o priority, because you will serve a lot of adult image request

No matter what VPS or dedicated you choose, your performance will very much depend on how smart the programmer who wrote the scripts is. I have seen an example of about a million images put in a single directory... and then they wondered why it is so sloooow... A lazy programmer can make any server look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Depends how many requests / second and also the size of the images, and the amount of ram / type of virtualization.

If you've got say, <1gb of images, then Xen can be a great option because it allows for real disk caching with your extra memory. So long as you have enough free ram to hold all your images, they'll automatically sit in ram and not have to load up the disks. In this case, it should handle any number of requests / second.

If you have a lot more images than what will fit in ram, you need to make sure the disk i/o isn't going to overload what the VPS provider is willing to give you. A typical VPS server with 4 SATA disks in raid 10 can do maybe 600 read requests / second, so if you're one of, say, 30 users on that system, your "fair share" is 20 requests / second in that situation. Maybe you could do 40 or 50, but more than that would be pushing it without checking with the host first about what they allow. If you're not doing very many requests / second, then it should be fine either way.
    I completely agree that a good disk infrastructure is a must. SAS, RAID 10 are things to look for.

Even if the OP has more than 1 GB of images, then a ram cache of ~ 1 GB could still provide a huge saving on disk IO. Chances are, all images are not accessed with equal frequency. The most-frequently-accessed ones are more likely to be in the cache.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-13-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: replace "disk cache" with "ram cache", d'oh!

Do you recommend any company that has good vps for adult content that will serve me?

Quote Originally Posted by chupaqueedeuva View Post
    Do you recommend any company that has good vps for adult content that will serve me?
    It's difficult for anyone to make recommendations until you provide more information, as the preceding posts have suggested:

- How much storage do your images consume? 1GB? 10GB? 100GB?
    - How much traffic does the website get?
    - What is your monthly budget? $5? $25? $100?

I'm gonna bow out of this discussion as I know nothing about adult hosting. Didn't even know such a thing existed until now!

As far as webservers go for static image content, I'd pick Nginx. Its stable and handles concurrent connections really well. Varnish with apache would probably work just as well too, but I've not tested it enough to compare resource usage yet.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.