Looking for reliable webhosting with requirements

Hi there,

I'm looking for a reliable webhosting for a good price. However I need to be sure that I can create unlimited amount of database users ( possible? ) and set permissions for folders so when I create a new folder, the files inside of that folder can only affect files within that certain folder ( not outside of it ). I'm not sure how this can be done and if there's any webhosting that would be recommended.

Thanks in advanced,
    Skyfe.

btw, the website I'm creating is used for people to create their own website. Therefore I need to create a new folder for each website and the files inside of that folder ( the user's website files ) need to have restricted permissions ( only for inside of that folder ).

Quote Originally Posted by host-plus View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a reliable webhosting for a good price. However I need to be sure that I can create unlimited amount of database users ( possible? ) and set permissions for folders so when I create a new folder, the files inside of that folder can only affect files within that certain folder ( not outside of it ). I'm not sure how this can be done and if there's any webhosting that would be recommended.

Thanks in advanced,
    Skyfe.

btw, the website I'm creating is used for people to create their own website. Therefore I need to create a new folder for each website and the files inside of that folder ( the user's website files ) need to have restricted permissions ( only for inside of that folder ).
    First, your specific question: I'm not sure about a limit on the number of users allowed in a MySQL database. I'm not sure there is one, but there is a limit on concurrent MySQL connections that most hosts have set in their plans. Each of your users, when logged in, would take at least one of those connections (and their programs might take more). Typically, they are set at 50 or so. So that's a question to ask ... what is the setting for max_user_connections. That number is not how many users you can have in the database, but the maximum number that could be on-line at the same time (without waiting for a connection).

Here are a couple of considerations. I ran into these when trying to make a Wordpress "Multi User" community. In that software, each user gets a subdomain of the main domain. So user "Bob" gets his subdomain "http://bob.domain.com".

See http://www.easymodrewrite.com/example-subdomains on how it works if you're rolling your own script ... you will need to make sure your host allows wildcard DNS to work it this way. The Wordpress MU software actually takes care of the rest.

I would recommend using something like Wordpress, Joomla with Community Builder, etc. That addresses the security issues (there are many!), the users get their own "section" of the control panel, and it works like they have their own account.

If you just want to give a user an empty subdomain, you can do so manually on a cPanel host, without having wildcard domains. I'm not sure it could be automated (or if it would be very secure if you tried to automate it!)

You could manually add sub domains, and create FTP users for that sub domain. When they log in with FTP, they see only their folder. In the case above with "Bob", your main domain would be in the "/public_html/" folder, but Bob would FTP into the "/public_html/bob/" folder, and wouldn't be able to traverse outside of it. But he wouldn't have access to your cPanel unless you gave him access to everything on your account.

And you bring up a good point; could he damage other files outside of the sub domain? I don't know.

Because of the limitations that each account can have as far as resource usage you might be better off looking for a reseller plan. If you have all these websites under one account they all are going to effect the limitations on resource usage that the account it allocated.

Now with a reseller you can setup individual accounts and each website will have its own control of files, databases, etc and will also have dedicated resource usage for each website instead of sharing those resources limits with many other sites on the same account.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

@kevin I was going to mention the same thing about a reseller account they can be just as cheap as a regular hosting account and will offer you more control with multiple users and website with each website being able to be secure also.

here are a few different places to check out
    theprimehost
    gothost
    bibihost
    Last edited by Buzz2043; 03-13-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Buzzhosting | Shared hosting | Reseller Hosting
    We treat you like a person and not just a number. Custom setup unlike what you've seen before.
    End User Support | SSL Certs | WHMCS Reseller

They web site type you are mentioning, you might need a dedicated server for it. This site may put over load MySQL as it will be acting as a proper web software.

However, you can start with a reseller and see if it works on shared hosting. But you need to be very precise about your coding and loops.

Hi,

Thanks for all responses.

@fshagan that type of website comes closest to what I'm creating exactly. However as for now I created my system this way that it creates a folder with the script (wordpress for example) for the user's website ( so e.g. mywebsite/userwebsitename ) and if the script requires database access, it creates the database and a seperate user for each website created. So I figured it would require many database users ( and way more than 50 ).

So, I think I'll indeed need atleast a VPS for this and maybe indeed a dedicated server ( however as for the beginning I'll try to start off rather 'small' with a VPS ). Then still I'm wondering if there'd be a limit of db users for a VPS or dedicated server? ( I don't really know a lot about that )

And is it possible to simply set permissions for certain folders of the website ( which cannot be changed by simply CHMOD or other commands ) other than the root folder?

Thanks again,

Best Regards,
    Skyfe.

btw, as for now my code works based on just one 'hosting account' so I rather keep it this way but I will certainly consider using multiple reseller acounts ( a seperate one for each website ) however I did not intend to give each user full controll of his website files/databases/etc but purely use the script of the website without further control over the data files.

Quote Originally Posted by host-plus View Post
    So, I think I'll indeed need atleast a VPS for this and maybe indeed a dedicated server ( however as for the beginning I'll try to start off rather 'small' with a VPS ). Then still I'm wondering if there'd be a limit of db users for a VPS or dedicated server? ( I don't really know a lot about that )
    as mentioned before check out this site priced affordable and has excellent support on hand
    gothost
    Buzzhosting | Shared hosting | Reseller Hosting
    We treat you like a person and not just a number. Custom setup unlike what you've seen before.
    End User Support | SSL Certs | WHMCS Reseller