Another proxy server hosting question.

Hi Everyone,

I have searched this topic to death almost, and I haven't found any answers. I really hope someone here can help.

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of hosting solution is required for a really robust proxy website. A proxy website that will show much more than just the HTML of the page. One that actually runs the scripts and everything. I have used many proxies, but none seem to be that good. I'm imagining a proxy that acts almost like a full blown browser.

If I get a monthly subscription for a dedicated server with 8GB RAM, 1TB Disk Space, 100TB BW, how many users do you think this website can handle in a single day or concurrently?

Any educated guesses will be great! Just a ball park figure.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
    Last edited by pk234; 09-09-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Wrong title.

Using nginx with php-fpm and other tweaks, I've managed to get a Q8200 with 4gb ram maxing out a 100mb line running glype, many hundreds of thousands of pageviews per day if that's any help.

This should be in the dedicated server section..

What exactly are you trying to accomplish for your users? The only secure way that I know of currently that's reliable is using a SSH Socks proxy where you tunnel the DNS across the proxy as well.

People in countries that censor things, the is the only way to allow many to access an ip without the authorities knowing exactly what you're connecting to. They also should not really be using it to access large files because that raises red flags as to what's going on across the ssh tunnel. Then they block that ip.

Well, the service is really just intended for me, so I can get around work network restrictions, etc. I don't want to give up the quality of browsing. I'm in the US, so not many things are censored. I just figured if I can host it for less than a few hundred dollars a month, I can let others use it as well.

Based on many hundreds of thousands of pages, should I assume that the server I mentioned can support about a few thousand unique visitors in a day?

EDIT:

BTW.. I think I'm pretty set on Bandwidth. I'm really just concerned about the computing power and the RAM this server provides.

Oh, and apologies if I posted in the wrong section. I can't figure out how to move it to dedicated server section, though.
    Last edited by pk234; 09-09-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Clicked by mistake.

if its just for you / a few users you might just need a small vps.
    many of them advertise that they come with a tun/tap device now, i assume the main reason for that is to allow people to setup a personal vpn.
    you could use openvpn and tunnel all your internet access via it quite easily.