Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ColoUnlimited or FDC Servers

I've given up on finding anything local for my budget colo and I think I'll be going with one of these guys. Single server colo pricing is about the same, but rack pricing is a little farther apart.

ColoUnlimited - Rack + 60A + 100MBPS - $675
    FDC Servers - Rack + 40A + 100MBPS - $799

My only issue is that although FDC Servers is more expensive, they carry a bunch of drives on hand and will let me store spare parts onsite, whereas ColoUnlimited won't do this. They are also MUCH cheaper on remote hands.

ColoUnlimited seems to have a better facility, and FDC a better network. I'm still contemplating which is more important to me for this project.

Anybody who's had one or both of these providers have any input?
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

check this www.co-location.com a full rack for 650USD

I have Colo'd at FDC before. It was only one server (tower) but I was happy with them. My drive actually started to fail and they put one of their drives in it for me, free.

Quote Originally Posted by thepremierhost View Post
    I have Colo'd at FDC before. It was only one server (tower) but I was happy with them. My drive actually started to fail and they put one of their drives in it for me, free.
    This is exactly the impression I've gotten, FDC will do a lot more of this type of stuff for you free or very cheap, whereas with colounlimited you're looking at between $150 and $250 an hour.
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting

I myself have been researching ColoUnlimited for a bit. I have been in contact with Than Tran about their network and policies. They can only promise Cogent, however, after speaking to Thanh(someone that is actually in charge of something), their network is much better than you would think. The people at ColoUnlimited know what they are doing, if you research their profiles, you will see many have them have had years of experience. And regarding the hard drive issue, remote hands at ColoUnlimited is free for up to 15 minutes. They will replace the hard drive for you for free if you have a spare on site and they don't have to open the case(hot swappable).

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    I've given up on finding anything local for my budget colo and I think I'll be going with one of these guys. Single server colo pricing is about the same, but rack pricing is a little farther apart.

ColoUnlimited - Rack + 60A + 100MBPS - $675
    FDC Servers - Rack + 40A + 100MBPS - $799

My only issue is that although FDC Servers is more expensive, they carry a bunch of drives on hand and will let me store spare parts onsite, whereas ColoUnlimited won't do this. They are also MUCH cheaper on remote hands.

ColoUnlimited seems to have a better facility, and FDC a better network. I'm still contemplating which is more important to me for this project.

Anybody who's had one or both of these providers have any input?
    Who said ColoUnlimited won't let you store spare parts? You’re just not allowed to keep paper products in your cab, so just get a small plastic tool box to put in with it. I find ColoUnlimited network very good, I had one small issue when my ISP decided to switch from Above.net to IPTransit.com. But that was fixed very fast by my ISP.

One thing to note though, I've heard FDC has no power backup systems, but you might want to verify if that is still the case.

I talked to the guy at ColoUnlimited today, he said they don't have storage space for parts. I could put them in a cab but I'm not starting with a cab, I'm starting with 5 1Us.

Quote Originally Posted by IntelHost View Post
    I myself have been researching ColoUnlimited for a bit. I have been in contact with Than Tran about their network and policies. They can only promise Cogent, however, after speaking to Thanh(someone that is actually in charge of something), their network is much better than you would think. The people at ColoUnlimited know what they are doing, if you research their profiles, you will see many have them have had years of experience. And regarding the hard drive issue, remote hands at ColoUnlimited is free for up to 15 minutes. They will replace the hard drive for you for free if you have a spare on site and they don't have to open the case(hot swappable).
    Yeah most of the stuff we are sending down there isn't hot-swappable, that's the thing.
    I'd be willing to pay really but $150 an hour is a little high. At FDC it sounds like they'd be free or very cheap, and even for more advanced work they only charge $50 an hour.

Yeah most of the stuff we are sending down there isn't hot-swappable, that's the thing.
    I'd be willing to pay really but $150 an hour is a little high. At FDC it sounds like they'd be free or very cheap, and even for more advanced work they only charge $50 an hour.
    So what corners are being cut to give you those prices? You need to realize that and think about it.

I'm surprised FDC offered to store parts for you. It was always their policy when I asked that they don't do that. We always stored extra parts inside the server itself if we had to One of the benefits of tower cases.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

I have been with FDC since 2004, using their Data Center in Chicago. In that time, I haven't had any issues. For the price I pay there, I get a lot more than I'd expect to get. I mean really, what other data center do you know that would put in 1 of their drives on a Colo for free?

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    So what corners are being cut to give you those prices? You need to realize that and think about it.
    Yeah but this isn't a direct product sale, it's cheaper labor. And any clever 12 year old kid can swap a hard drive so I don't see how this could go too horribly wrong.

Yeah but this isn't a direct product sale, it's cheaper labor. And any clever 12 year old kid can swap a hard drive so I don't see how this could go too horribly wrong.
    The corners being cut are that they do not have a generator or a ups.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I'm surprised FDC offered to store parts for you. It was always their policy when I asked that they don't do that. We always stored extra parts inside the server itself if we had to One of the benefits of tower cases.
    Well they did say they might charge a small fee to store spare servers. Mostly what sounded good was that they would swap in one of their own drives or ram, at a very reasonable price too. This is the type of situation where you expect to be gouged (your drive just crashed, you need a new one NOW), but they sent me their prices and they were more than reasonable.

I have been with FDC since 2004, using their Data Center in Chicago. In that time, I haven't had any issues. For the price I pay there, I get a lot more than I'd expect to get. I mean really, what other data center do you know that would put in 1 of their drives on a Colo for free?
    That's the type of thing that really draws me toward them. Not only is it convenient, it's just indicative of a tendency to take care of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    The corners being cut are that they do not have a generator or a ups.
    Well according to the prices I have, FDC is more expensive monthly than ColoUnlimited.

If spare parts are an issue and the hourly rate, have you looked into local companies in the Dallas area that offer IT support?

Or maybe buying server’s like Dell and get the 4 hour onsite ProSupport with the servers?

Quote Originally Posted by benj114 View Post
    If spare parts are an issue and the hourly rate, have you looked into local companies in the Dallas area that offer IT support?

Or maybe buying server’s like Dell and get the 4 hour onsite ProSupport with the servers?
    This is what I was thinking. However I think until you are at a half or full cab, they won't give you physical access. For the future though if I do decide on ColoUnlimited I'll be looking at getting someone down there to help me out, it's just that adding another company to the equation makes things more complicated and if I don't have to deal with it I'd rather not.

hello

i'm in Contact with Thanh is a very Helpful guy, he say soon we will change the 150$ to 250$ in 1 Hour to 20 at 50$ for 1 Problem
    for me i think that the second is very good for small problem of course the 15 min free is still

the colounlimited network is very good and i will post a Review soon when MY Servers Installed

Hello,

Most colo companies I've ever dealt with will allow you to store spare parts in your cabinet, as long as they are not in a container that is flammable (i.e. a cardboard box).

Just curious - if you are starting with 5 1U servers, why are you looking at pricing for a cabinet with 40-60A of power? 20A would typically be more than enough power for 5 1U servers.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Hello,

Most colo companies I've ever dealt with will allow you to store spare parts in your cabinet, as long as they are not in a container that is flammable (i.e. a cardboard box).

Just curious - if you are starting with 5 1U servers, why are you looking at pricing for a cabinet with 40-60A of power? 20A would typically be more than enough power for 5 1U servers.
    Yes I know that, my servers use 1.5-2a per, but scalability is important. I want to settle on a place that will give me reasonable pricing when I do need that kind of space. The way things are going it won't really be that long before I do need a cabinet.

Yes I know that, my servers use 1.5-2a per, but scalability is important. I want to settle on a place that will give me reasonable pricing when I do need that kind of space. The way things are going it won't really be that long before I do need a cabinet.
    I made a thread awhile back asking for colounlimited reviews. They are owned by a larger rather reliable company which is good. Helped a friend get setup within there data center and everything went great.

The network is great but they basically only guarantee cogent which is a bit worrisome, I think once there datacenter gets full the network quality will drop.

Although, even pure cogent in my opinion, beats the FDC servers network by a mile..

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I made a thread awhile back asking for colounlimited reviews. They are owned by a larger rather reliable company which is good. Helped a friend get setup within there data center and everything went great.

The network is great but they basically only guarantee cogent which is a bit worrisome, I think once there datacenter gets full the network quality will drop.

Although, even pure cogent in my opinion, beats the FDC servers network by a mile..
    Is this the long thread about them? I've been following that one since the day it was posted.

I'm not worried about bandwidth, most of my stuff is at another facility with multi homed bandwidth, I'm only looking elsewhere for a side project where I need budget colo. Cogent is more than good enough for this case.

Is this the long thread about them? I've been following that one since the day it was posted.

I'm not worried about bandwidth, most of my stuff is at another facility with multi homed bandwidth, I'm only looking elsewhere for a side project where I need budget colo. Cogent is more than good enough for this case.
    Yep the long thread is it.

So far the support and network from colounlimited has been better then FDC servers. There is also from what I have seen more space available at colounlimited at this point in time, for expansion purposes. With fdc servers closing one side of there company and colounlimited (http://www.corexchange.com/) expanding its a clear winner, in my eyes at-least.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Yep the long thread is it.

So far the support and network from colounlimited has been better then FDC servers. There is also from what I have seen more space available at colounlimited at this point in time, for expansion purposes. With fdc servers closing one side of there company and colounlimited (http://www.corexchange.com/) expanding its a clear winner, in my eyes at-least.
    Good to hear from someone who has knowledge about both these providers. Thanks!

I had already tentatively decided on ColoUnlimited, I'm talking with Thanh now so if we can figure something out for some reasonably priced remote hands I think I'll be going with them.

No comment on FDC nor colounlimited. However just as a thought, you mentioned 5x 1U so I assume that is 5 servers, I would suggest considering using multiple locations. There's no need to put them all in one place, if you have them in multiple datacenters then you're spreading out your risk and also have the benefit of being able to offer multiple locations and geo-redundancy to your clients.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ServiceProvider; 03-15-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com • 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Also looked at Joe's datacenter and burstnet. Any opinions here?

ColoUnlimited has been solid for us since mid December. No downtime, good speed, low ping times...

Also their Tech support answered the phone in 3 rings at 4am on New Year's night and assisted me hands on with my server for about 30 minutes and I was not charged for it.

Also looked at Joe's datacenter and burstnet. Any opinions here?
    To touch on the points listed in this thread: I can confirm we will do the things mentioned, such as selling you affordable parts from our own stock, not charging for minor work & remote hands, reasonable remote hands fees, allow storage of spare parts, etc...
    ...and we confirm we do have UPS systems, generators, and are multi-homed, in all our locations.

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedIT View Post
    ColoUnlimited has been solid for us since mid December. No downtime, good speed, low ping times...

Also their Tech support answered the phone in 3 rings at 4am on New Year's night and assisted me hands on with my server for about 30 minutes and I was not charged for it.
    ColoUnlimited seems to be a winner in most categories. The one thing still worrying me about them is that they're new so I can definitely see their prices going up in a few months or a year, their rack pricing especially seems too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    To touch on the points listed in this thread: I can confirm we will do the things mentioned, such as selling you affordable parts from our own stock, not charging for minor work & remote hands, reasonable remote hands fees, allow storage of spare parts, etc...
    ...and we confirm we do have UPS systems, generators, and are multi-homed, in all our locations.
    Out of the few I've looked at the pricing over there seems to be a little higher than most of the budget providers I've looked at. However you are semi-local. I'm in DC, I can drive to PA in a couple hours whereas with FDC or ColoUnlimited it's just not worth it.

Out of the few I've looked at the pricing over there seems to be a little higher than most of the budget providers I've looked at. However you are semi-local. I'm in DC, I can drive to PA in a couple hours whereas with FDC or ColoUnlimited it's just not worth it.

4-5 hours from us actually
    We do have connectivity in Ashburn VA, right there, but not colocation space for clientele.

The pricing is competitive, just maybe slightly higher than the others, but you atleast know you are getting the backend operations that should be there with us (genset, ups, multi-homed, etc...).

Considering how affordable ColoUnlimited's rack space appears to be, have you considered renting an extra 1U or 2U and literally just having an extra server stocked with all of the spare parts you'd need for your live machines? You could pull whatever is needed from the dark server in the event of a hardware failure on one of your live systems.

I realize that doesn't help you work around the hourly fees or remote hands and eyes services, but it is a storage solution.

Out of curiosity, have you kept track of your overall network uptime since 2004 with FDC Chicago?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Diaz View Post
    Considering how affordable ColoUnlimited's rack space appears to be, have you considered renting an extra 1U or 2U and literally just having an extra server stocked with all of the spare parts you'd need for your live machines? You could pull whatever is needed from the dark server in the event of a hardware failure on one of your live systems.

I've done this with a lot of companies myself for free. Never hurts to ask for 1-2u of space that doesn't use bandwidth or power. Also never hurts to ask if they will lower there standard tech support rates or work with you on pricing on this.

Collocation is the type of business where a lot of times rates aren't always set in stone... It's always best to work with them directly on pricing. Which reminds me I've been meaning to send colounlimited an email for a couple weeks now.

I've had a server at FDC for a little over a year now in Denver. They're pretty good to work with. Minor teething problems when I first was setup, but that was resolved quickly and professionally. I only wish finding their location wasn't such a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbinshire View Post
    I've had a server at FDC for a little over a year now in Denver. They're pretty good to work with. Minor teething problems when I first was setup, but that was resolved quickly and professionally. I only wish finding their location wasn't such a pita.
    Hah, 1500 Champa is an interesting building. I believe it was actually a former WolWorth's. I particularly enjoy the sketchy people hanging out at bus stops pretty much all day long. Don't take that to mean I've got anything to do with FDC, other than to ask them to stop flooding RMIX with malicious ARP requests. I'm across the street at 910 15th Street tending some equipment from time to time or simply walking from my office to dinner.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

ColoUnlimited unless you're in Chicago with FDC.
    Isaac Kwan @ EZ-CONCEPT, Your ONE-STOP WEBHOST Since 2008
    NO.1 in Reliability and Trustiness - Go with registered business!
    Shared/Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Domain Registration - Start v6 today! Get your OWN DEDICAED IPv6 for every product with us!
    FB: http://fb.com/ezconcept | Twitter: @ezconcept

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    Hah, 1500 Champa is an interesting building. I believe it was actually a former WolWorth's. I particularly enjoy the sketchy people hanging out at bus stops pretty much all day long. Don't take that to mean I've got anything to do with FDC, other than to ask them to stop flooding RMIX with malicious ARP requests. I'm across the street at 910 15th Street tending some equipment from time to time or simply walking from my office to dinner.
    Indeed. Their service has thus been great, but their location is sketchy as hell. I couldn't find them parking anywhere nearby, so I had to walk several blocks with a couple servers. Lots of homeless people asking if they could help me carry the things around. Not fun. Next time I'm shipping the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbinshire View Post
    Indeed. Their service has thus been great, but their location is sketchy as hell. I couldn't find them parking anywhere nearby, so I had to walk several blocks with a couple servers. Lots of homeless people asking if they could help me carry the things around. Not fun. Next time I'm shipping the server.
    Lol. google street view shows a pawn shop and a liquor store within convenient walking distance across the street. so if you're down on your luck, you can always pawn off your servers and then go get drunk.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

About electric: do they have some power surge system or similar (FDC).

ive read they dont have a UPS ( which It would not affect me as long as an amp spike would hurt my servers)

Arbinshire: thx for the very useful info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast