Looking to switch providers

Hello everyone. I don't post much here because, well, I only lease a single dedicated machine. My current provider, HiVelocity has been giving me a bunch of issues as well as not following through on promises by their marketing department. I'm not real happy with them.

Right now I have a 4GB, 1TB, dual core with Plesk (9.x) for around $115/mo, which man, is nice, but the service quality is really starting to become a pain.

What provider out there do you guys like? I'm mainly interested in the machines being stable and not crashing all the time like I've found with HiVelocity.

Which OS are you using? Do you have any preferred location?

pls check offer section
    MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

do you want enterprise grade or just standard grade? managed or unmanaged??
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

I would recommend a xeon instead of a core2 / pentium d, etc. Not because the cpu is more reliable (it's not), but because the motherboards that support xeons tend to be more "server grade". A "good" desktop motherboard will be plenty reliable enough, but at a budget price point, I wouldn't count on any provider using a good desktop board, which cost around $100. The $50 wonders you normally see in desktop cpu servers are definitely going to see more issues with performance and crashing than the server boards you typically have to use to run xeon cpus.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Thanks guys, that's some good advice. I completely understand the underlying benefits of letting the CPU choose the motherboard. That makes complete sense.

Location, United States would be best. Server is currently in St. Petersburg, FL.

OS: Centos 5 w/ Plesk. I wish I could migrate away from Plesk due to it not being available everywhere like CPanel, but I've got 60 or so sites in it right now so it'd be a royal pain in the ass to migrate away.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPhly View Post
    Thanks guys, that's some good advice. I completely understand the underlying benefits of letting the CPU choose the motherboard. That makes complete sense.

Location, United States would be best. Server is currently in St. Petersburg, FL.

OS: Centos 5 w/ Plesk. I wish I could migrate away from Plesk due to it not being available everywhere like CPanel, but I've got 60 or so sites in it right now so it'd be a royal pain in the ass to migrate away.
    cPanel does have an Plesk importer so it shouldn't be too hard
    Host Mist - Helping People Say Hello World
    Shared | VPS | Dedicated

What kind of hardware is your current box? Just a black box? You should look into a genuine Dell or HP server in a different data center.

There is a very large company (NTT) that uses Celeron D for thier entry level and charges a lot for it (per a price sheet I've obtained a few months ago) (around 350USD). Avoid those like the plague. Xeon or Opterons are good. Best to get one of those.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....