Exclamation What providers have an EXCELLENT SAN ?

What hosting companies (cloud or vps or dedicated) have the best SANs?

Specifically, I mean:
    1. Redundent
    2. Low Latency
    3. Fast Read / Writes
    4. EXCELLENT uptime record

Thanks!

-Eric

We haved used Softlayer's SAN in the past it has been good (bu not very fast). For faster SAN performance, you must look for dedicated SAN.

What are you looking to host? If your budget allows it a dedicated SAN is a nice option, as you will have better performance vs a shared SAN. A high end EMC array wouldn't be bad at a host that had the proper setup and Storage Engineers.

I don't have the up-front cash for a private SAN.

I can pull about $600 a month for the SAN, and need about 600GB of storage.

Thanks,

-Eric

How do you measure SAN performance? random read/write? sequential read/write?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by ecocozza View Post
    I don't have the up-front cash for a private SAN.

I can pull about $600 a month for the SAN, and need about 600GB of storage.

Thanks,

-Eric
    That shouldn't be obtainable for a quality SAN! I would watch out for providers using older EMC's though.
    Jay

For that price range, try Gigenet Cloud.

Thanks for the tip.

I have several VMs at gigenetcloud. Unfortunately, disk performance is quite poor. Stability has been better recently, but they had so many problems in the first few months of operation I wouldn't consider them to be stable either.

What if the budget were allowed to slip up closer to $1k / month for 600GB, any quality SANS available then?

Thanks,

-Eric

Thanks for the tip.

I have several VMs at gigenetcloud. Unfortunately, disk performance is quite poor.
    Eric, do you mind sharing how you gauge disk performance on iSCSI SAN? And what kind of result did you get? Please note that iSCSI SAN performace, especially for sequential jarge read/write, will be lower than that on local hard drives. So I am curious how you gauge the disk performance.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Not very scientifically...

I have had several Windows VMs there, and still have one.

I have watched processor and RAM usage to make sure they are under control (low swapping).

When I first connect to the VM, actions take a VERY long time... For example loading a IE browser window can take upwards of a minute... During which time the system remains completely idle.

subsequent attempts to load the same program again, are usually faster (any program not just IE)...

Based on this, I've guessed that I'm waiting for my files to be moved into a cache with faster access after a period of being idle.

My conclusions could of course be wrong, but watching gigenet constantly apologize for the state of their SAN on their own forums hasn't inspired me to do much digging around to be sure that my system sluggishness is actually SAN related.

Best,

-Eric

With a budget of $600 - $1000 /month you could probably have a nice dedicated san built that wouldn't be subjected to other clients usage of it.
    Probably your best bet, especially since you can make it happen with your budget. Its always better to have a dedicated SAN then try and use a shared SAN which has to deal with tons of clients different types of requests all at the same time.

Thanks for the tip... Do you know any hosts that can provide a dedicated SAN without purchasing the hardware outright?

Thanks,

-Eric

for that budget why not look for a provider that will do a low end dualcore with a hardware raid controller with 4-8 drives in raid 10 and have your own personal san ?

with his budget he can get something really REALLY nice as a dedicated SAN or even 2 running in active/active mode.

He could have a dedicated 12 disk or maybe even 24 disk SAN with SSD drives build by a solutions provider and have very likely all his problems solved for that monthly budget.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Thanks for the tips guys.

I need some recommendations if you have any... I'm not sure what providers would build a SAN for me.

Thanks,

-Eric

Thanks for the tip.

I have several VMs at gigenetcloud. Unfortunately, disk performance is quite poor. Stability has been better recently, but they had so many problems in the first few months of operation I wouldn't consider them to be stable either.

What if the budget were allowed to slip up closer to $1k / month for 600GB, any quality SANS available then?

Thanks,

-Eric
    We have recently run into some IO problems on our 4th generation SANs and we are working to resolve these issues. I have contacted you directly and customers on these SANs will be notified of our plans later on today.

As for your account I see that you have machines on our 3rd and 4th generation SANs. Thus, I have contacted you to see exactly where IO is lacking for you and what we can do to work with you.

Also we have the ability to build custom storage servers too.
    eSited LLC - Dedicated Servers, VPS, Managed Hosting
    Nullivex LLC - Web Services, PHP Development, System administration.
    █ Visit http://www.esited.com/ or Email contact[at]nullivex.com

I need some recommendations if you have any... I'm not sure what providers would build a SAN for me.
    I'm sure any enterprise level provider would build out a proper SAN install for you, however your budget is too low to support a reasonable Fiberchannel SAN. You'd be better off looking for an iSCSI system with hosts that have hardware iSCSI offload. I'd talk to Layer42, they've got that kinda stuff around.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net