Host Move: netfirms to hostgator - notepad problem?

Hello folks, new guy, be nice, I apologize upfront for my ignorance. I cannot find information anywhere after two days of searching.

I've recently moved my host from netfirms to hostgator due to reliability and performance problems. I had a developer move all of my sites and databases for me to avoid my lack of experience destroying my sites, etc. They are still registered at netfirms but pointed to hostgator. All is working great, much faster, mo betta, happy there so far.

The issue:

For 2-3 years, I've used notepad with no issues at all editing files and style sheets. Since this move, issues with formatting in notepad for php files and css files has started. I use filezilla, download a backup, download one to edit. I open the file to edit with notepad and it looks great. Make the changes, still looks great, save the file. When I reopen the file in notepad now it is a mess, formatting is all lost, word wrap makes no difference. Open the same file with notepad++ and its still a mess. Style sheets open destryed now, I cannot figure it out. Hope I'm in the right spot, couldn't find anything in a search.

Depends on how the files were transferred. Sometimes "\r\n" is stripped out, and they provide new lines. Sometimes it can be averted using notepad++, but if its not working in that then its unlikely to be fine in anything else.
    I would recommend yelling at whoever transferred your site.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamun View Post
    Depends on how the files were transferred. Sometimes "\r\n" is stripped out, and they provide new lines. Sometimes it can be averted using notepad++, but if its not working in that then its unlikely to be fine in anything else.
    I would recommend yelling at whoever transferred your site.
    Thanks Shamun for the quick response, he's the one who referred me here and has never heard of this problem either. For clarification, I can still edit php files in notepad++ ONLY and will be using it from now on. The biggest problem I have now is that neither program works for style sheets now. It just has 1000's of little black boxes in the code now. Newbies, what can you do....

If you're seeing black boxes then it's not what I said. Black boxes may appear due to encoding issues and other things. If you would like, you can upload your CSS file to someplace or link me to it and I can take a look and see if the problem is able to be fixed quickly.

Just got off the phone with hostgator for the eleventh time. Somehow the encoding was changed during the file transfer I guess. It was utf8 before the transfer and now all of the encoding is ucs2-little endian in the style sheets and ANSI in the php files? rofl. I am able to edit the php files now in notepad++, I'll just have to bring in the style sheets from a browser and convert them to utf8 I guess. Is that encoding going to cause a problem in the php files? Thank you for the help shamun.

Quote Originally Posted by LLTR View Post
    Hello folks, new guy, be nice, I apologize upfront for my ignorance. I cannot find information anywhere after two days of searching.

I've recently moved my host from netfirms to hostgator due to reliability and performance problems. I had a developer move all of my sites and databases for me to avoid my lack of experience destroying my sites, etc. They are still registered at netfirms but pointed to hostgator. All is working great, much faster, mo betta, happy there so far.

The issue:

For 2-3 years, I've used notepad with no issues at all editing files and style sheets. Since this move, issues with formatting in notepad for php files and css files has started. I use filezilla, download a backup, download one to edit. I open the file to edit with notepad and it looks great. Make the changes, still looks great, save the file. When I reopen the file in notepad now it is a mess, formatting is all lost, word wrap makes no difference. Open the same file with notepad++ and its still a mess. Style sheets open destryed now, I cannot figure it out. Hope I'm in the right spot, couldn't find anything in a search.
    Try opening the files in Wordpad/Write first and save them and then open the files for editing in notepad.
    HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
    Shared Reseller VPS 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
    CloudLinux CloudFlare Softaculous Premium Multi PHP cPanel
    Also offering Windows Hosting with Plesk 12 Multi PHP MSSQL ASP.NET

Quote Originally Posted by HostMantis View Post
    Try opening the files in Wordpad/Write first and save them and then open the files for editing in notepad.
    Tried it, no luck there hostmantis, appreciate the feedback.