Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Want to be sure your who you say you are. You could be a terrorist cell looking for laundering money for they government of some kind of spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    OK. I've send them credit card scan, they couldn't open it (while I could). Then I resize it and send again. Then I send Driver Licence ID, then they asked me translate it in Paint or PhotoShop (they can't event find the translation on that card =) ). Then they asked send a screenshot of my bank account that show credit card number. But my bank account does not show that the way they asked.

And eventually I'm looking for another hosting.
    I guess Hostgator really can't legibly see the scanned copy of your ID, much more understand what it said. Thus, the request for additional yet sensitive information.

If anything, it seems some folks here find it odd a company like Hostgator would ask for that. As mentioned earlier, some providers ask that to verify orders and protect themselves against potential disputes like chargebacks and/or actual unauthorized orders.

I wouldn't say either that's normal or whatever you feel that is. Just that that does happen in the real world we all live in, just as hosting companies also live with the unfortunate reality of chargebacks and what-not.

As also suggested and you've done since then, one can always look for another provider who doesn't ask for that if you feel it's too much. To that I say, good luck and good hunting.

Sounds like they haven't actually charged your card or taken your money, though? If that's the case, then everyone can move along.

I bought shared hosting account with mastercard. A month ago I bought domain from netfirms, they asked send a copy of credit card without first 9 digits and no problems. With that mastercard I've bought several shared hosting packages and one vps from "Hosting Offers" section.

Quote Originally Posted by markgrannum18 View Post
    You could be a terrorist cell looking for laundering money for they government of some kind of spy.
    No, I'm not
    Last edited by Tuco; 03-13-2011 at 12:27 AM.

WOW
    Eventually I provided them all information they need and got hosting
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dasklney View Post
    Good luck , if host provider asking for my scanned CC, I will go away =D

Either am I. Anyways,Good Luck,hopefully you'll find a good one that won't ask your CC screen shot!

They asked me only for a phone call proof . And it worked in an hour!

Hostgator is tight with everything, identity, abuse, etc. -- but for the 5 years I have been with them, they have been down a total of 1 hour -- for five years!

I don't send anyone proof, I would not even trust the biggest or smallest businesses in the world with copies of my Credit Card, Or DR Lisc.. or any bill.

I'd take a photo copy of my signature, and thats about it, and then I would sign a peice of paper saying something along the lines of "I authorize this payment of <whatever the amount is> to <Provider name>- and sign My signature" that's as far as it goes.

It's almost impossible to forge someone signature, if looked at properly, every person in the world has their own writing style, and you can see the difference if someone tried to forge you or anyone's signature.

I don't understand why they are asking lots of proofs. Most of the other hosting companies won't ask proofs like this, any ways why don't you tell them that your bank account won't show what they have asked.

This is not typical of them. I have no idea why you had to verify so much information

I was with Hostgator when I started and had several accounts with them. I never had any problems and found their support and billing people to be courteous, knowledgeable very professional.
    The only reason I left was I became a reseller for another company and finally moved my site over to them.
    Overall I would highly recommenced Hostgator but there are plenty of providers here who will not put you through this level of verification.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Ok, as someone who has this kind of issues almost every time purchasing hosting / domain names, I will give you the reasons this happens.

Credit Cards are issued all around the world and in some countries more than the others, the number of faked CC is bigger. So, the system of hosting companies detects if the credit card originates from one of those countries included in the suspicious ones. If yes, such credit cards are flagged and the process of purchasing is blocked until the buyer provides them with proof that they are the GENUINE owners of the credit card they provided upon purchase.

That happened with JustHost.com, NameCheap.com and some others where I wanted to purchase similar services.
    However, before providing them with the information required, I exchanged several e-mails with both companies inquiring if any other thing can replace such requirements. At the end, I sent them the scanned CC and everything is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by aselmani View Post
    Ok, as someone who has this kind of issues almost every time purchasing hosting / domain names, I will give you the reasons this happens.

Credit Cards are issued all around the world and in some countries more than the others, the number of faked CC is bigger. So, the system of hosting companies detects if the credit card originates from one of those countries included in the suspicious ones. If yes, such credit cards are flagged and the process of purchasing is blocked until the buyer provides them with proof that they are the GENUINE owners of the credit card they provided upon purchase.

That happened with JustHost.com, NameCheap.com and some others where I wanted to purchase similar services.
    However, before providing them with the information required, I exchanged several e-mails with both companies inquiring if any other thing can replace such requirements. At the end, I sent them the scanned CC and everything is in order.
    That's interesting ... were you allowed to blackout the expiration date? I would not feel comfortable letting them have all of the information like that.

In fact, this is what they require

1. The scan of the Credit Card; regardless of the account number (which I blacked out), and
    2. Scan of one of you personal documents containing your name!

So yes, I blacked out all account numbers of my CC! For my driving license I did not care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12