Exclamation Looking for a continuous backup service, any suggestions?

I am looking for a backup service that can provide up to the minute backups of my server. I need this because every minute I have transactions going on so once a day backups just won't cut it.

My server is currently hosted on liquidweb smart server but they do not have what I am looking for so I am looking elsewhere for the managed continuous backup.

I am fine with paying a premium for quality and service.

Any suggestions?

R1Soft CDP Backup should be perfect for your requirements. Search for R1Soft Backup providers here on WHT, I am sure you will find many.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    R1Soft CDP Backup should be perfect for your requirements. Search for R1Soft Backup providers here on WHT, I am sure you will find many.
    I have heard of that, but which among the providers are good? I have seen a lot of them and dont know which provide good managed backup services

Can you please clarify what exactly do you mean by managed backup services? Do you want the provider to restore the backups for you when needed?
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    Can you please clarify what exactly do you mean by managed backup services? Do you want the provider to restore the backups for you when needed?
    Well yes I want them to be able to but this is not what is important for me. Its ok if it takes them a few hours to restore the data. What is important for me is that they have the data backup that is updated up to the minute the disaster happened. I need up to the minute backup of my data

R1Soft can indeed offer backups every minute - but I'd only recommend that for something rather mission critical - e.g. a very important MySQL table.

Please check out www.jonesolutions.com, I have used their R1Soft backup service and it was a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by dushhhhhh View Post
    Well yes I want them to be able to but this is not what is important for me. Its ok if it takes them a few hours to restore the data. What is important for me is that they have the data backup that is updated up to the minute the disaster happened. I need up to the minute backup of my data
    R1Soft CDP promises that they have up to the minute backups, but usually you have "restore points" that are daily rather than minute-by-minute. Mike at MDDHosting offers R1Soft, but has also been upfront and honest about the limitations of the service. You might PM him or email him to see if it fits your needs. As far as having someone quick to restore something from backup, Mike has great support and has restored one of my customer's MySQL databases. It only took about 20 minutes.

You might be a candidate for a different kind of solution. Backups are good, but if your transactions are stored in a MySQL or other database, look into having that database mirrored in real time ... called "replication" by the MySQL folks. Mirror the database in real time to a server in a different data center, in a different state. You can also mirror your entire site to another server, and have a "failover" solution.

The problem is that data corruption is also replicated, but I'll bet there's a way around this.

What kind of load would a minute by minute backup place on a server?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    What kind of load would a minute by minute backup place on a server?
    I don't know that the backup system could actually keep up with minutely backups unless the partitions being backed up were really small but I've never had any inclination to actually try it. That would be 1,440 restoration points per day.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I don't know that the backup system could actually keep up with minutely backups unless the partitions being backed up were really small but I've never had any inclination to actually try it. That would be 1,440 restoration points per day.
    What's your opinion of having replication or mirrored servers in this case, along with some kind of failover service? I guess that only solves the problem for a server going down; a corrupted database will be replicated across all the servers, so periodic backups would still have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Hi Mike,

All the critical information I need is stored in databases so I will only be needing a maybe every 5 minute backup for those. Is this something you think is feasible?

I have read of a backup service which takes note of the changes made in the files and makes a backup of only the new ones, thus eliminating the need for a complete backup every minute. However, this service is not available for my server. So I am looking for an alternative.

Regarding replication, this is the first time I have come across this. What is the difference if I "replicate" my database rather than back it up?

There's a good description of replication here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication

Basically, replication protects you in real time against a server crashing and taking your most recent data with it. But it isn't protection against data corruption, because the corrupted data is replicated on the other server as well.

The value of replication would be if the main server fails, a tornado strikes the data center, or a host goes belly up on you and simply turns off the server. The slave would have the latest copy of the database. Restore the static content from a backup, then copy the database over.

It doesn't replace a backup, but might allow you to have more reasonable backup restore points.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    There's a good description of replication here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication

Basically, replication protects you in real time against a server crashing and taking your most recent data with it. But it isn't protection against data corruption, because the corrupted data is replicated on the other server as well.

The value of replication would be if the main server fails, a tornado strikes the data center, or a host goes belly up on you and simply turns off the server. The slave would have the latest copy of the database. Restore the static content from a backup, then copy the database over.

It doesn't replace a backup, but might allow you to have more reasonable backup restore points.
    So it looks like my best solution is to go with database replication and then maybe just something like 4x a day backup points? Can the backup be stored on the same server my replicated databases are going to be on?

Quote Originally Posted by dushhhhhh View Post
    So it looks like my best solution is to go with database replication and then maybe just something like 4x a day backup points? Can the backup be stored on the same server my replicated databases are going to be on?
    I think that could be a good approach. I'm interested to see what the others who have more experience than I have to say.

My host offers daily backups via R1Soft CDP. I also do a rsync backup of my main VPS to a secondary VPS once a day. On the main VPS, I run a cron job that does a MySQL dump to take a snapshot of the databases. Later, the secondary VPS runs a cron job that logs into the main VPS and uses rsync to copy all the files (including the MySQL dumps). The advantage of rsync is that it only copies files that have changed, so the static files are only copied once. Doing that 4 times a day would give you 4 restore points.

The secondary VPS is an unmanaged server with 512M memory that costs me under $5 a month (at Burst.net). I'm also using it as a DNS server.

I don't know the requirements for running database replication. But if it runs well with 512M, then its an inexpensive solution. You have a replicated database in case your main server has a hardware failure (or the data center has a problem). And you have a backup of your site that is only a maximum of 6 hours old if the data gets corrupted.

Having the backup server in another data center (or another state) would be a good idea. Having a second backup server might be overkill, but appeals to me; you could simply rsync everything on your backup server to yet another server.

Hi friends..It is so nice informative post in this site ,I like this...I have read of a backup service which takes note of the changes made in the files and makes a backup of only the new ones, thus eliminating the need for a complete backup every minute. However, this service is not available for my server. So I am looking for an alternative. ..........

Thanks for share with us...

regards..
    sannu

Quote Originally Posted by sannu123 View Post
    Hi friends..It is so nice informative post in this site ,I like this...I have read of a backup service which takes note of the changes made in the files and makes a backup of only the new ones, thus eliminating the need for a complete backup every minute. However, this service is not available for my server. So I am looking for an alternative. ..........

Thanks for share with us...
    In Linux rsync does that. There are some services that perform a rsync backup for you, like BQBackup.com.

Rsync saves on time and data transfer ("bandwidth"). But it still consumes processor and RAM as it runs and looks at every file, comparing it to the file it has saved. It takes more than a minute to perform that task on 8GB of files, so you couldn't run it every minute. And even if you could, or you figured out how many minutes it ran and then ran it again immediately, it would impact the speed and throughput of your server.

So yes, it does "incremental" backups. But that doesn't mean you can have real time, continuous backups.

I think the fastest way to accomplish this would be to have two servers in the same data center, with the data replicated on each one in real time using a private network. Then an off-site backup with more reasonable restore point times in case Yellowstone blows and takes your two servers with it.

I think the cloud hosting guys do something similar. Netflix survived the Amazon EC2 outage with a replication strategy they call "Rambo".