Thread: Hetzner..

Hetzner..

I was viewing one of the dedicated server ads that appeared here above on WHT.. Hetzner..

http://www.hetzner.de/x-series.htm

They say unlimited in the plans, and then below have

* There are no charges for overage. We will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s if more than 2000 GB/month are used.
    100 MBit/s speed can be optionally restored by committing to pay $ 8 per additional TB used.

Why would you put unlimited in the plan specs, and then list that? How is it unlimited?

There is no such thing as unlimited. Can you provide an example ?

Well it IS unlimited.. but when you hit 2TB (i thought they changed it to 5?) you get limited to 10Mbit... so ye... you have unlimited bw.

Where does it say unlimited?

They say they don't charge for overages. Everything has a limit.

Here we go.... Unlimited means using to the full capacity without limits... What do you call 2,000gb? Why does anything happen at 2,000gb if it's unlimited? Unlimited would be using the full capability of the port you receive. How is it unlimited if you start with 100mbit, then go to 10mbit? That is a pretty big dang difference in mbit... Think of it like your cell phone service with a messaging package... If I buy unlimited messaging from at&t do I expect there ever to be a change in the amount or rate of my unlimited messages? Nope.. at&t will let you use unlimited messages whether its 6,000msgs, or 160,000 messages.. Unlimited means unlimited. Just like FDC Servers where I have a dedicated server.. Unlimited means unlimited.. It's unmetered, and I will only get like 30gb using it 24/7 each month, but still its unlimited in the way that I have no limit on usage other than what i originally expect due to being on a 10mbit line/port. they never stated unlimited port speed. they state i can use the port as much as possible...

how does it make sense to tell someone you have unlimited but when you use your unlimited too much you will be restricted. instead of marketing it as unlimited they should say you get 2,000gb at 100mbit, and rest at 10mbit....

I agree it's misleading, but it is what it is. That's how they market their product. Their site has a clear explanation, so if a prospective client fails to read it, It's their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghost View Post
    I agree it's misleading, but it is what it is. That's how they market their product. Their site has a clear explanation, so if a prospective client fails to read it, It's their own fault.
    I know that, just pointing that out.. Pointless thread from someone bored I suppose...

I guess it is still unlimited but will be locked in 10Mbps connection.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by bluemer View Post
    Why would you put unlimited in the plan specs, and then list that? How is it unlimited?
    A lot of shared host offering unlimited disk space and bandwidth shared package for less than $10/month.
    Do they really offer unlimited?
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

The main thing is the company you use unlimited hosting from!

unlimited----just a gimmick for gaining market!

<SNIP>

There is no such offering as unlimited bandwidth from a host. You can obtain an unmetered dedicated port from some hosts, which let you use the full capacity of your connection, but you are always limited by the specific speed of the port, whether it is 10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps, or even 10Gbps.

I was viewing one of the dedicated server ads that appeared here above on WHT.. Hetzner..

http://www.hetzner.de/x-series.htm

They say unlimited in the plans, and then below have

* There are no charges for overage. We will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s if more than 2000 GB/month are used.
    100 MBit/s speed can be optionally restored by committing to pay $ 8 per additional TB used.

its not unlimited for 100mbps port but for 10mbps
    MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

I'm sure Hetzner looked at this thread... Another ? I just reread what they have... 100mbit can be restored by paying 8.00 per additional TB so does it automatically get rounded up? What if you use 2000gb one month, another month use 2250gb, and then use 2800gb.. Automatically rounded?