Deciding between Windows and Linux

Hi,

This question might be specific for my requirements only. My site is running on PHP+MySQL+Javascript+Apache

I know for sure that all Linux servers support the above. But, if I am able to get a Windows server which also supports the above, will that be a good fit? Are there any negative impacts of using a Windows server against a PHP (other than the extra price we pay for Windows)?

Also, moving ahead, which options are absolutely not supported in Windows servers which are supported in Linux (please don't provide the list for packages which are supported in Windows but not in Linux. There are many I know for sure).

I am just trying to evaluate my options here as I am more familiar with Windows than Linux and if I am able to get all of my required options under Windows, I would definitely prefer it unless there are some obvious setbacks (like speed, etc.)

Please suggest. Thanks!

As it is sharing hosting your OS interaction is minimum to none. Using a control panel (like CPanel) you will be able to do everything you want without Linux knowledge at all.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Like dotHostel said, the OS really won't make a difference in a shared hosting environment. You'll never actually see either.

Here is my rule of thumb; Unless your website and application SPECIFICALLY REQUIRE a Windows server, use Linux 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    As it is sharing hosting your OS interaction is minimum to none. Using a control panel (like CPanel) you will be able to do everything you want without Linux knowledge at all.
    Does the same apply to Windows too? I was specifically speaking of the packages here. Also, is the same interaction again possible on VPS and Dedicated servers? I personally have never used either a VPS or a Dedicated server :-( and probably hence my question arises.

Also it doesn't affect the speed or anything related right?

Quote Originally Posted by amit2403 View Post
    Does the same apply to Windows too? I was specifically speaking of the packages here. Also, is the same interaction again possible on VPS and Dedicated servers? I personally have never used either a VPS or a Dedicated server :-( and probably hence my question arises.

Also it doesn't affect the speed or anything related right?
    With VPS servers, and dedicated servers, there will be quite a bit of OS interaction (95% of cases, unless managed).

Speed should be comparable, unless a Linux server is using NGINX, or another performance minded web software.

I think the above poster's rule of thumb is correct; unless you specifically have a need for Windows hosting (ASP.NET, MS SQL), then Linux is probably the easier (and cheaper) choice to go with.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

Quote Originally Posted by PlusWebHost View Post
    With VPS servers, and dedicated servers, there will be quite a bit of OS interaction (95% of cases, unless managed).
    So specifically speaking about the OS interaction for unmanaged servers, would it be feasible to go with the one which is easier for you to manage, or still Linux is the best option unless I don't want ASP or MS SQL or any other options only found under Windows machines?

And I would also assume that speed is not the issue here right and only the price is the issue?
    Might be I am missing something here. I am still not able to get why would one be preferred over the other (only the price concern?)

Regarding unmanaged VPS and dedicated servers, IMO OS knowledge is a "small" part of the requirements to run one as it is taken for granted you are familiar with network protocols and equipments, security procedures, audits, etc.

Yea! That's very true dotHostel. But in Windows atleast we have a default GUI which we are used to for the past 15 years or so..
    Won't this make a little bit of a difference to a person who is scared of the non-GUI command prompt based Linux!!

I would say it is easier to find "how to" things in Linux than in Windows.

+1 for dotHostel, but take care if u are not a smart technicien guys - it's even easier to break a linux system if u don't know what u are doing about.

So, Linux is the way to go...

By the way, in a Linux VPS, can I install any nice scripts which can help me get a clean GUI? Or this option is only available under Linux Dedicated!!

Anything you can do in a dedicated box, you can do on a VPS. As far as the envirnoment goes, it's the same.

The only difference between VPS and Dedicated are the resources alloted to you. On a dedicated box...it's only for you. So you get the full power of the server.

On a VPS, you get a slice of the full box. Everything else is the same.

"Power" = RAM/CPU etc. Hardware related things.

If you are using MySQL and PHP Linux offers good options. I'm in the computer industry since 1976 and running Windows servers since 1997. If you ask me what is my preferred OS I would answer I'm a Microsoft guy but I have half dozen serves running Windows and near half hundred running Linux.

Regarding the Linux GUI there are many but you will need a host offering a template including GUI or hire someone to install.

I would say, use the language that you are comfortable with and then use the OS for which that language was developed.

Though PHP/MySQL have grown quite mature for Windows too and you can do most of the things using them on Windows as you would on Linux. But Linux will always have advantage over Windows when it comes to PHP/MySQL.

About the OS interaction, whether you have a control panel or not, on both the OS you will need to interact with the OS several times. On Windows, GUI helps you a lot, but once you have started interacting with Linux you will see the ease of use and the power you get to do things your way. And since you are comfortable with scripting you will be able to learn Linux fast.

It's not just about the starting, its also about the future when your site/application has grown above a VPS or single dedicated, time will be there when you would like to go for a load balanced, fail over cluster system or may be to cloud or something more complex, license fee for everything Windows will pinch you then.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Wow, this forum is sure a Wonder! All of my questions answered so quickly that every time I refresh my control panel I see an update in every one of my posts!
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions and I see now why Linux is preferred over Windows. Time to look towards to future instead of just looking at my current requirement.
    So, Linux it is, for me at least. :-)