Looking for a host that can handle email + gallery2

I am looking for a company to host my few websites, my 70+ email users with a great webmail interface who can also accomodate my gallery2 downloadable image gallery.

I have looked at:
    Rackspace
    GoDaddy
    Dotcomhost
    Singlehop
    Codero
    Ace-Host
    Cloudpronto
    bostasaurus
    liquidweb
    hostirian
    serverpronto

I think I have looked at so many now I cant even tell them apart!

Anyone got any really good ideas here?

Do you have any particular email interfaces that you like? The normal ones people use is squirlmail and roundcube from my experience.

You can go for godaddy. Its providing good customer support and better servie. Plans are also competitive.

I was actually thinking of using something like godaddy's hosted email for either POP3 or imap. I need something that is good for when we are on the road and can sync up with our iphones and outlook 2003.

ANy idea how Godaddy is when it comes to running Menalto's Gallery 2 or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dgardner72 View Post
    I was actually thinking of using something like godaddy's hosted email for either POP3 or imap. I need something that is good for when we are on the road and can sync up with our iphones and outlook 2003.

ANy idea how Godaddy is when it comes to running Menalto's Gallery 2 or 3?
    I would STRONGLY suggest, for you not to go with GoDaddy. I have personally used them in the past for hosting and boy the rest is history. For domains they are great, but when it comes to hosting they are horrible.

What type of web mail interface are you looking for? Or you just want people to be able to access their mail through outlook, iphones, etc?

What are your requirements?
    Space and Bandwidth?
    Control Panel?
    Managed or Unmanaged?

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

what I need is:

Platform: Linux/Unix

Web Server: Apache 2.2 and newer

PHP: 5.2.3 and newer.

PHP's safe_mode must be disabled and iconv, simplexml, filter, and json must be installed.
    PHP must have mbstring extension installed.
    short_open_tag must be On. See php.ini directives.
    Database: MySQL 5 and newer

at least 100 email accounts with the spam filtering included.. currently have SpanGuiard that I pay so much per account.

I need at the least 25 gigs of hard drive space and 3gigs of ram...

And what is your budget?
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

I would like to keep it all under $350 a month.

I would like to keep it all under $350 a month.
    $350 a MONTH? Are you sure it's not yearly?

You can get what you are looking for about $30-$40/month.

- Daniel
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

right now i am paying $609 a month!

right now i am paying $609 a month!
    I think it's time to switch providers. What are you getting for $600/month? That is OUTRAGEOUS!

- Daniel

I am not getting very much at all. I pay $25 a month for SpamGuard with an additinal $2 per user for 68 mail accounts.I have less then 100g hard drive space, really crappy tech support and currently hosting 3 websites.
    Thats pretty much it.

WOW! Do you have a dedicated server or multiple places that you host?

In any case, with your budget you have some great options available.

Club Uptime has a decent VPS package with the specs you are looking for. I want to say their level 4 package. (I can't remember exactly though)

I am not getting very much at all. I pay $25 a month for SpamGuard with an additinal $2 per user for 68 mail accounts.I have less then 100g hard drive space, really crappy tech support and currently hosting 3 websites.
    Thats pretty much it.
    Wow, you definitely need to move. Have you looked at any providers yet?

- Daniel

I have looked at:
    Rackspace
    GoDaddy
    Dotcomhost
    Singlehop
    Codero
    Ace-Host
    Cloudpronto
    bostasaurus
    liquidweb
    hostirian
    serverpronto

Not Godaddy. Terrible idea.
    I'm not much of a Rackspace fan either.

From that list, maybe look at these:
    Codero
    Liquidweb
    Serverpronto

I have my own list of suggested hosts. From it, maybe a good VPS from Knownhost or Downtownhost. You can easily spend less than $100/monthly, maybe less than $50/monthly. On Linux, Roundcube is a nice webmail.

Actually, I prefer Windows for email hosting, using MailEnable. EXCELLENT webmail interface, very Outlook-like. SolarVPS or EuroVPS for that. I've gotten to the point where I refuse to use anything but MailEnable for my webmail-enabled domains. It's just nicer. The free version works fine, paid version if you want more featured.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

<<snipped>>
    @Dgardner71, go check out the VPS Offers forum and look through. Buyer beware, you will encounter fly by night shops, and established well known providers, don't go for the cheapest. I would recommend that you call a few providers and see if you can talk Sales with someone. Usually thats a good way to judge how your experience will be in the long run.
    Last edited by bear; 04-06-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

There are so many to look at I am afraid I hve jsut lsot my mind!

If you're looking to host either Gallery 2 or 3 then can I suggest that you look at the Gallery forums for advice on this? There are a number of hosts who have a track record of problems with Gallery. There is a FAQ about issues with certain hosts and how to try and solve them. Certainly trying to host Gallery3 on GoDaddy looks to be an exercise in frustration. There is also a thread about suitable hosts, although it is a bit short and with a bias towards unmanaged hosts. Personally I would use the FAQ as a guide as to which ones to avoid and then choose one of the better rated ones from this forum. That's what I did.

U

Stay far away from serverpronto

From personal experience and over two years with HostGator, I would recommend buying your VPS from them.

I'm not sure which package would suit you quite yet but have a look through their services.

It seems that I can't post a link to the list of host-specific issues for Gallery3 (because my post count is still too low) but if you Google on "Gallery3:Host_specific_issues" it will be top of the list.

The issues probably related to shared hosting rather than VPS, but it's something to be aware of in any case. Note that HostGator is on this list.

U.

You sir want a dedicated, colocated, vps or cloud server.

You can get a decent dedicated server for ~ $100/mo
    You can pick up a cheap server off ebay if you cannot afford to build or buy a new one for a colo.
    or you can just setup with a decent vps/cloud provider.

Software will hit you one time and since you are going nix most of it is free/open source.

Hire an admin to set it all up and show you how to use it.

You'll end up spending $1-2k to start but saving $500/mo after that.

Good luck.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

With image galleries, that's really hard on random i/o. Given you have a good budget for this, I would recommend getting a dedicated server with cpanel and SSS storage. It'll probably come in at less than $200 / mo, or 1/3 what you're paying.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com