Exclamation Start-up help! Server recommend, hosting help

I am in the process of starting an online company. It will be marketed to millions. I however, am not that knowledgeable on all the intricacies of web development, IT, or anything. I ran a test for my site, and it hit 50,000 users in an hour. So needless to say, it crashed. I need people with knowledge to help me out. Someone who wants to work with me would be a godsend. I know that from the results of the web test that this company will immediately be too big for me to handle with my limited experience. What do I do? Should I read 'Internet businesses for dummies' ? (hopefully you know I was joking there) I don't want to lose the chance to start this business, due to its potential, and because it will be doing such a great service to people.

If your site will really be that popular then you will either need a cluster of servers or maybe investigate some form of "cloud" hosting.

Maybe something like the EC2 Cloud.
    At least then you only pay for what you use and it will scale.

Also the amount of "power" you need will be dependant on whats on your site..

Ie:
    is it just basic static nothing special webpage.
    Or is it a all singing and all dancing "web2.0" ajax stuffed dynamic monster.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

The site is simple (think priceline or expedia...simple a little flash, and java). But the reason I had such traffic is just the basic idea behind the business. I'm scared to jump in, because I don't want to be the reason behind it failing, with my limited experience. Does anyone know of any experienced investors that could help me take this business where it should go?

Hi Bob,

I'm an investor and I have friends who invest in businesses too.

I am curious but I doubt you'll find anyone willing to invest without knowing what they're going into.

Just a few questions if you could answer them, it may help you.

Is the business legal?
    What would the investment go towards?
    Do you need help with the hosting side or with the business as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_420 View Post
    I am in the process of starting an online company. It will be marketed to millions. I however, am not that knowledgeable on all the intricacies of web development, IT, or anything. I ran a test for my site, and it hit 50,000 users in an hour. So needless to say, it crashed. I need people with knowledge to help me out. Someone who wants to work with me would be a godsend. I know that from the results of the web test that this company will immediately be too big for me to handle with my limited experience. What do I do? Should I read 'Internet businesses for dummies' ? (hopefully you know I was joking there) I don't want to lose the chance to start this business, due to its potential, and because it will be doing such a great service to people.
    at testing you got 50k hits per hour?? if its legal sites then you make millions per month
    MicraHosting : Peer1 Los Angeles Data Center
    Colocation and Dedicated Hosting

You will have to provide a little more information. But from those numbers, if they are correct, will have investors running to you for a piece of that pie. Best of luck!
    [email protected]
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data center.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Holsley:
    I see that you've recently just joined...otherwise as someone looking at jumping into entrepreneurship, I would be floored that you are talking to me. If in fact you are a legitimate investor, my business is totally legal. But the problem that lies in that I know the potential it has, and I don't have all the skills I would need to take it there, and I fear that it could be destined to fail without the proper management. As for the distribution of the funding, I would need fairly large portion to go towards consultation and servers. After that, would be the need to hire IT, and support help. A lease on a building or floor of a building, necessary equipment. This is why I am at a standstill. I don't know how to proceed from here. I'm well-educated, just not in the business department, or I should say internet business. If you could provide me with anything proving who you are and who you represent, I would be more than willing to show you a business plan. I have applied for patents, and trade-marks, so I don't mind discussing anything with a potential investor.

Quote Originally Posted by sakhani View Post
    at testing you got 50k hits per hour?? if its legal sites then you make millions per month
    Well, the test was run for two hours, and the first hit came after 24 minutes, and then for the next 96 minutes the traffic hit count ended at 48,247. It's very high, leading me to the belief that I am very correct in describing the potential it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hivelocity View Post
    You will have to provide a little more information. But from those numbers, if they are correct, will have investors running to you for a piece of that pie. Best of luck!

I believe this to be very true. I am connected with the right people to advertise this, but it's building the foundation that I need help with...any home can be built, but the foundation makes it or breaks it. I can't present the minimal amount of data that I have, because I would sound like I don't know what I'm talking about...but that is actually because I don't have the knowledge of where to go from here.

Key questions:
    - is it database backed?
    - how big is the website to load (i.e. look in chrome "inspect element")

I wouldn't mind helping you. As I got a dayjob it would be highly limited but if you want to have someone who can give a 3rd opinion on what your techies will come up with I might be able to help

I was responsible for some quite critical clusters (like, if they go down, someone falls out of the stock exchange) and am good at nitpicking on things that will be trouble later on.

Edit: ... but I hope you'll find some people here that got the time and knowhow to make your business skyrocket without any nitpicking
    Last edited by wartungsfenster; 03-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Hi Bob,

I am new to this forum and I'll be honest I'm no expert on servers that's the whole reason behind joining this site to learn from the experts on these boards.

What I do have is 4 very successful businesses that are all in profit in a matter of months.

I would absolutely love the chance to help you out but honestly I couldn't offer you the amounts required, it's too far out of my league.

If it's of any use I would suggest you search for independent consultants and speak to a bank about investment, if you was to go to an investor they're going to want a big slice of the pie in terms of shares or a very large return.

Look into creating a detailed business plan if you haven't already done so, if you approach a bank with this they should invest as it sounds like a good project.

Anyway I wish you all the luck and I hope you succeed it sounds like a great challenge!

Who made the decision to use Java?
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

my question is how did you get 50k users in one hour? did you have a story on the front page of digg ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbikez View Post
    my question is how did you get 50k users in one hour? did you have a story on the front page of digg ?
    You can't get 50K visitors / hour featured on the front page of digg.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Well, the test was run for two hours, and the first hit came after 24 minutes, and then for the next 96 minutes the traffic hit count ended at 48,247. It's very high, leading me to the belief that I am very correct in describing the potential it has.
    How did you get the hits? Are you marketing the product?