* My Potential Buyers Are Nuts!

I bought a domain name for personal use several years ago. After I got busy on other projects, I realized that I might never get around to developing this site, so I put it up for sale. It is only likely to bring about $400, so I haven't paid a lot of attention to it.

Not long ago, I was browsing some statistics in my database of historical web access logs and noticed that the vast majority of hits, on this particular site, came from an area that is known for extremist groups. Googling for the site name took me to a few comments about my domain. Some pretty crazy people are apparently interested in it.

I have two choices: treat it as 'just business' and accept any offers that they make -OR- make it as difficult for them to buy it as I can (raise the price, take it off the market, etc.)

This particular variety of nut groups is detrimental to everybody, in my opinion. So, for now, I have raised the asking price to ten times the original value and accepted the reality that it will never sell. Maybe I'll use it as a blog on 'how to get along with other people'...

What would you do in a similar situation?

Shaw

Not sure if it's related to your situation. But for konzentrationslager.de Sedo refused to auction the domain end of last year.

Imho domain merchants do have a responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by petzsch View Post
    Not sure if it's related to your situation. But for konzentrationslager.de Sedo refused to auction the domain end of last year.

Imho domain merchants do have a responsibility.
    There are a number of history-related domain names that could be perverted into use by nut groups. Like mine, most of the domains are not offensive by themselves, but just attract the wrong kinds of potential buyers.

Shaw

Business is business. People will continue to be ignorant irrespective of if they have your domain.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Whether or not some people remain ignorant is not the point. My only responsibility is to avoid helping them to promote their ignorance. If they can't get their hands on a clever domain name, then maybe they won't influence quite as many other ignorant people.

Shaw

well look at it like this if you dont sell your domain theyll find another so you should sell it if you dont want it, by the way what is your domain?

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    well look at it like this if you dont sell your domain theyll find another so you should sell it if you dont want it, by the way what is your domain?
    Not necessarily. They'd have a very hard time finding a domain name that fits their purpose as well as mine does. If they settle for something less effective, then my goal is achieved.

Shaw

What if they find something more effective? Either way, you're the one that loses, not them.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    What if they find something more effective? Either way, you're the one that loses, not them.
    In your way of thinking, that may be true. In my way of thinking, I won't be helping them promote their ignorance.

Shaw

Sell the domain, then report them to the Police, FBI, or whoever might be interested in their activity.

It totally depends on your personal situation it will be better if yiu keep it for your personal use and make some earnin resource from it.

You seem to be very sure that some bad people will buy your domain but "area that is known for extremist groups" doesn't automaticly means that buyer will be big bad wolf

edit.
    @rds100, get real..

I thank you all for your input. I will be keeping the domain until I have the time to develop it for its original purpose.

I like to think of myself as a man of integrity and it is not worth a few hundred dollars to risk possibly helping despicable people to recruit more despicable people.

Shaw

Shaw, your approach is refreshing and, I think, the right one. Most people would be likely to sell to the highest bidder for a few hundred dollars and not look back. By sharing your thoughts here, you may help others understand that while there's a legitimate place in life for hard-nosed business decisions, sometimes our basic values have to trump those other considerations.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!