Thread: 1and1

1and1

Hi, I'm looking to register a domain with 1and1 and their first year deal for 5 dollars sounds good. Since it's just a domain name service, what can go wrong.. I see some of the users here dont recommend 1and1. I'm just looking for 1 domain name registration. They also include private registration

Godaddy on the other hand is more expensive for the same services.

Is it that bad with respect to 1and1?

IMO, it's personal choice. I've heard horror stories with 1and1 - more negative than positive - and as such, would never recommend 1and1 to anybody. GoDaddy is decent if you can get past all their ads. I have registered plenty of domains at Gandi and Pair. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend a little more to go with a decent registrar, whether or not you use any of their services past the domain name purchase.

+1 to Chris. I feel that purchasing these days can be done in many places and it is all a matter of preference. However, if you are getting negative vibes from 1and1 why use them?

I would not recommend 1and1, they have a lot of strange policies and the control panel lacks functionality. Godaddy are probably the best but name are pretty good too.
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

I have about 150 domains with 1and1 and I would recommend them if there is any chance you might accidently let a valuable domain expire. Their policy is such that they will renew your domain then go after you for the money. Most registrars will simply let a domain expire if you don't pay. I had gotten into a situation many years ago where 1and1 saved me thousands by holding onto my domains for me until I got access back to my email address. With any other registrar, all 150 domains would have simply expired and would be gone (they are set to expire around the same time and I didn't have the money at the time to have them registered for more than 1 year).
    Last edited by DeluxeHost; 03-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

dotster and godaddy are ok for registrations. I prefer dotster.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by fong View Post
    Hi, I'm looking to register a domain with 1and1 and their first year deal for 5 dollars sounds good. Since it's just a domain name service, what can go wrong.. I see some of the users here dont recommend 1and1. I'm just looking for 1 domain name registration. They also include private registration

Godaddy on the other hand is more expensive for the same services.

Is it that bad with respect to 1and1?
    Domain registration is not a problem with 1and1 as long as you do not use their hosting service which is truly pathetic.

My very first domain I registered was through 1&1 and I still have this domain. As long as you stick with them for domain registration only, they're ok. I wouldn't go with any other services from them. Tried some other services from them, I know what I'm talking about.

I would not recommend 1and1,you really don't want to learn it the hard way.
    Much better options are internet.bs with $7.49 .com+free whois privacy,name.com and namecheap are also good options.

+1 for internet.bs

Pay the extra 2.5/year. It's not like they are ripping people off. 5 dollars is well below cost.

There are many complaints about their hosting here on WHT. If a company can't excel at one service (eg. hosting), it would make me think twice before using them for anything else. You can find lots of domain registration services around $10. If you only have one domain name, $10 is not a lot to pay and will likely get you better service.
    Canuck
    HostTiger Web Hosting
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Domain Registration, & RapidSSL with Exceptional Support
    Site Building Tools, Daily Off-Server Backups, RVSkin, Installatron, Video Tutorials, & more!

i saw good stories as well as bad stories about 1&1 , i say try them out foe a while and then see .

There's a business owner now in this section telling a serious horror story about a domain dispute with 1&1. Seen tons of people saying bad things about them all over the internet so far. I mean, it's not that hard to google ICANN, then look on their site for a list of registrar's who are accredited by them, to sell top level domains.

Then comparison shop a bit. Cheaper, definitely isn't always better me thinks. Either way good luck however you decide to go.