Why would hotmail move my emails to SPAM?

Emails sent from our site are being moved to the junk folder. Why would it do this?

There are several reasons this should not be the case:

1) Our site is not live yet (and has never been live) so there are literally no complaints from people receiving spam from our site.
    2) The only emails sent are test emails, and it has only been to a very small group of email addresses (less than 5).
    3) The emails being moved to junk mail are confirmation emails. The only reason I would receive an email was because I made an order and I need to confirm this order. The email body even has the buyer's name.

So this does not make sense at all.

Why would this happen? Could it be related to My IP address having been previously blocked by another major email provider (yahoo)?

Thanks.

If you're sending to those 5 and exceeding some arbitrary per hour limit or something (even if they're test emails), you get blocked. If you have bad netblock neighbours, you get blocked.

Are your emails signed, SPF'd?

Consider getting an account somewhere like authsmtp.com, push your mail through that. If it's still being sent to spam, recheck the contents of your messages for suspicious text, etc

If you really can't get this to work, you can always contact hotmail support directly to see what's happening.
    It's very frustrating, we also dealt with this issue some time ago and on some occasions our mails still arrive in the spam folder and sometimes they don't. Frustrating!
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Its the default behaviour with hotmail and yahoo. You have to contract your mailing to third party companies if you want guaranteed delivery.

As has been said, SPF is very important, it would be good to sign your e-mails too.

If you're not an expert in handling e-mail it's good to use a service like postmarkapp.com, then you know that e-mail is being delivered and you can monitor deliveries, check for bounces or spam complaints etc (you can even act on bounces using their webhook/callback). This service in particular is quite cheap if you ask me, I haven't used any others though to compare.

I have been testing that, it's usually past owners of the IP's being up to no good. My colocated machine with RHServices.. had brand new never assigned IP's and everything goes right to the inbox.. other providers (ie vps providers) I've used go to spam..

you could also be a victim of low ip reputation.. someone else in the /24 spamming like hell and they just drop the /24 to spam
    AS395558

Check your IP at www.mxtoolbox.com
    Make sure its not blacklisted and you have reverse dns (PTR) setup.

Make sure that the reverse DNS name is the same name your mail server identifies itself as.

Make sure the hostname the reverse dns is set to also resolves back to the same IP.

Setup SPF and DKIM.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post
    Check your IP at www.mxtoolbox.com
    Make sure its not blacklisted and you have reverse dns (PTR) setup.

Make sure that the reverse DNS name is the same name your mail server identifies itself as.

Make sure the hostname the reverse dns is set to also resolves back to the same IP.

Setup SPF and DKIM.
    Have to agree with all of this.

You'll also want to go through the effort to get whitelisted at AOL. They have a process for it, it's not terribly onerous but a bit of a hassle.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

at our side, some times mail got sent to junk and some time to inbox, where as we just send normal mails.
    any thing wrong?