Intel® Core™ i7-980X

Hello, what do you think a server with Intel® Core™ i7-980X , 24GB ram, 4x1.5TB HDD in h/w RAID10 ? I`m afraid most of the CPU is it good for runing Virtual servers on it?!
    I want to use for VPS node.
    And what do you think what platform should i course ?! OpenVZ, Xen or KVM ?!
    Planning to run SolusVM on it. Any need recommendations on this part too.

thanks

This is high end processor and other server parameters are very good. Don't be afraid, it can handle lots of virtual servers.
    Andrius Petkus, Chief commercial officer @ Bacloud.com data centers.
    Build your cheap dedicated server, Affordable high power Windows SSD VPS
    Payment methods: Bitcoins, Credit cards, PayPal, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Safety Pay, Cashu, Bank transfer.

I would go with solusvm and openvz, unless you have a requirement for xen. Go with their EQ8, and get a second server if you need to

I think this system is adequate for an OpenVZ node. For Xen i would go with 8x HDDs in RAID10.

That server will be bottlenecked at IO very soon. Either put in a RAID controller with BBU, or better yet, use SSD's.

Ooops. I didn't notice that you're already using a HW RAID.

From what I can tell, solusvm works better with openvz than with xen, so if you're going with solus, openvz is probably a good choice.

As to the cpu, we've not even scratched the surface of the cpu available to us, using nodes with slightly less processing power, and 16gb ram, so I think you'll be fine with that cpu and 24gb ram. All our VMs start at 1gb ram and up, so if you're allowing VPS's with 256mb ram, the cpu to ram ratio might require more cpu for you than it does for us. Even so, I would think you'll be ok on the CPU side of things everything considered.

As to the hard drives, to make sure you get good performance, make sure the raid stripe is 1MB or larger, as the smaller stripe sizes that are common defaults will cause unnecessary i/o usage across multiple drives for requests that should only need to access one drive. If you can increase your linux readahead to 1/4 of the stripe size, this will also improve performance. Typically the readahead if 128K, so if you have a 1M stripe, you should increase this to 256K. If your h/w raid card allows a 2M stripe, go with that and a 512K readahead for the best performance.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com