Thread: is it possible?

Exclamation is it possible?

Hello everyone,

Someone please tell me a lil bit about the below stated scenario and a lil help on how it can be done.

I have a Reseller account and a VPS account. I want to start a Web Hosting Service. SO what I want it to be is, the main website (i.e the business website and forums) to remain on the vps but the clients and registered users hosting accounts should be on the reseller. So that even if the reseller goes down for maintainance I can have the main website running. but both need to be on same domain it should not appear to be a different server.

VPS has CentOS + Webmin
    Reseller is WHMCS and cPanel

Short answer - Yes its possible

Longer answer - To do this it is easily done using WHMCS or other similar billing / order system. When configuring you just enter the details of the server (in your case the reseller account details) or where you want the new accounts to be placed. Put in the IP address given to your reseller account and create the remote cpanel access key and paste it into WHMCS and all new accounts will be located on your reseller account.

One sign up it would not be noticeable to the customer as to where they are being placed. You wont be able to run the reseller account though under the same domain name as your website is running under.

what if I install cPanel and WHM on both the servers. I mean its already there on my reseller account. If I install WHM and cPanel in the VPS would that help?

Quote Originally Posted by kushalissocool View Post
    what if I install cPanel and WHM on both the servers. I mean its already there on my reseller account. If I install WHM and cPanel in the VPS would that help?
    No reason to if it is just your own website on the server... Surely you know how to administer the server without cPanel/WHM being in the picture.

I would also recommend starting with a separate VPS for hosting your clients rather than a reseller account... As cheap as VPS have gotten recently, that would be a much better path to take as you will not have to rely on a third party for basic issues you cannot fix as a reseller and it will give you much more control/flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    No reason to if it is just your own website on the server... Surely you know how to administer the server without cPanel/WHM being in the picture.

I would also recommend starting with a separate VPS for hosting your clients rather than a reseller account... As cheap as VPS have gotten recently, that would be a much better path to take as you will not have to rely on a third party for basic issues you cannot fix as a reseller and it will give you much more control/flexibility.
    Completely agree with Daniel. The VPS will allow you a more broader range of flexibily and allow you to answer their support questions more more frequently than having to rely on someone else. It might be worth the extra dollars to get the second VPS.

but both need to be on same domain it should not appear to be a different server.
    I'm not positive what you mean by this statement. Do you mean you want your customers to be able to use ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com as their nameservers for your reseller account, but your company site is hosted on your VPS? If so, it's simply a matter of DNS. Just create separate nameservers so that your company website points to the VPS while your customers point to the reseller account.

ill try to be more clear-
    I already have a VPS as well as a Master Reseller Account so I want to host my the company website along with the billing software on the VPS but when clients buy or register hosting with us their account should be created in the reseller hosting that I have. I would love all these to be on the same domain name.

ill try to be more clear-
    I already have a VPS as well as a Master Reseller Account so I want to host my the company website along with the billing software on the VPS but when clients buy or register hosting with us their account should be created in the reseller hosting that I have. I would love all these to be on the same domain name.
    Do you mean:
    Your websites hosted on your VPS
    Client signs up threw your billing system and is automatically created on your reseller account.

I dont understand the same domain bit though..

The website of my business (i.e the Website of the Website Hosting Company) and the billing software (WHMCS) is on the VPS.
    When you buy a hosting package the space used i.e your account will be created on my reseller hosting that i have.
    But it should not be visible to the customer so everything should look like its in the same URL.

This will be easy, not sure what the confusion is about.

VPS = domain.com
    Reseller account = srv1.domain.com

VPS = NS1/NS2.domain.com
    Reseller = NS3/NS4.domain.com (Or NS1/NS2.Srv1.domain.com)

Correct?

In WHMCS, you can very easily 'add servers' (These can be real servers, vps, or reseller accounts) and set them up to create cPanel accounts automatically. Go to --> Setup --> Servers. Then click on "Add New Server" Use the information from your reseller account for cPanel/WHM and wa-la.

Just create the nameservers you need, add the appropriate A records on your VPS and you're set.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Hi there,
    I'm already running my hosting business the way you are asking

my main website and billing system is on a reseller account from hostgator

all accounts will be created on a dedicated server from the planet

I created two nameserver, ns1.mainwebsite.com ns2.mainwebsite.com , for primary and secondary IP you take the IP's from the dedicated server

in the welcome message you ask the client to point his/her domain to the nameservers mentioned above, that's it

you can create as many nameservers as you want for as many different servers you want

most billing systems allow to add as many servers you like, when you run WHM/cpanel on your servers you can add the WHM remote code of the servers to your billing system and the hosting accounts will be created instantly

The website of my business (i.e the Website of the Website Hosting Company) and the billing software (WHMCS) is on the VPS.
    When you buy a hosting package the space used i.e your account will be created on my reseller hosting that i have.
    It is a good idea, although you have option to swap things by hosting your web on reseller and your clients on VPS. But its OK with the current scenario too.

But it should not be visible to the customer so everything should look like its in the same URL.
    It will depend upon the software you using for billing and client management purposes. If you use WHMCS, then you can configure many servers and give them priority to create accounts automatically when an order arrives.