RockSolidHost.net

Hey there!

Just thought I'd share my review with you for RSH.

I *was* with them for 2 months. All was good the first week.

Week 2: Downtime, downtime, downtime. The NL server they had me on was constantly, and most definitely being DDoSed. It went down for about an hour or two about two times. I'm glad it wasn't longer. After the downtime, the server was quite stable. I decided to test their DDoS Protection..

The owner of Atomic Booter is a friend of mine, so I decided to contact him, and see what the server I was on could handle. We started with 1 second, 384 shells, and 100% power. Just fine. We jumped to 10 seconds, 384 shells, and 100% power. A bit laggy, but atleast it was still on. We then tried 14 seconds, with the same amount of shells and power. The server died for almost exactly 47 minutes(Nginx timeout). These tests were down 24 hours after each other. Now, these results are intensely satisfying. Why? AtomicBooter has an 'aftershock' feature, which speeds up the server for a minute or so, then nails it so hard, it goes off and would require rebooting & technical assistance just to turn back on. So yes, they do include surprising DDoS protection at their prices.

Technical Support.
    Their support isn't really good, or anywhere close to 24/7. I had about 20 legit support tickets in a month, and it took them 1-36 hours to reply. Some of them are still open, and I've already cancelled. But at those prices, I'm surprised they even have more than 1 support techs. The support is just what you'd expect at those prices, low, and not the best quality. If you're a web hosting guru, this place is for you. If you're a newcomer, you should come back when you know more than just the basics, so you can fix your own problems.

Price.
    Amazing. Their prices speak for themselves. Low, not the best support, but quality.

Website.
    I personally don't like their template. It's over-used, and is ugly, but let's remember this is just my opinion. The testimonials are kinda dumb, because the picture of the client is the same. They should use real pictures of the clients, or make some nice ones, or even replace the image with something like a check. There is only one 'lie' on their site, which is the 24/7 support guarantee. It's all not that bad though.

I'm currently having some issues with them. I'm done hosting there, and they've suspended me, as I have claims open with them.
    I honestly don't care to win the money, I just don't think they deserve it, as they kinda violated their ToS by suspending some of my clients without warning/alerting me.

http://i51.tinypic.com/15fsyub.png

Just because I have a claim open with them, doesn't mean I'm going to post an improper review, if you're wondering. All the best, RSH.

And... Is their company closed? Their homepage is down.

I'm not quite sure what to think of your review to be honest. The response times at 36 hours does seem alarming and yes you should've moved away.

However, if your initial downtime was due to DDoS attacks, I think I'd have let that slide.

One questions, I was a little unclear...so you actually attacked a server on their network?...as a test?

DDoS attacks are unpredictable and many websites are getting DDoS attacked each day. If you are looking for a DDoS protection with SLA, you are looking at least several thousands of dollars a month.

Hosting providers provide basic DDoS protection that is included in the price, but when it comes to very large attacks the protection eventually will not withstand the attack. That is why you need to look for a DDoS protection proxy to filter our the traffic such as ServerOrigin specifically for your website.

One thing that has also caught me attention was that you were initiating DDoS attacks toward RockSolidHost.net network. It does not matter if its for testing purposes or not, you should never initiate DDoS attacks. Its illegal and after you have posted this, RockSolidHost.net can possibly take legal actions against you for attacking their network, since I see that RockSolidHost.net is down which may have been caused by the DDoS attacks you have been initiating toward them:

It's not just you! http://RockSolidHost.net looks down from here.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/RockSolidHost.net
    Last edited by Snoork Hosting; 03-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Quote Originally Posted by SnoorkAdvertiser View Post
    DDoS attacks are unpredictable and many websites are getting DDoS attacked each day. If you are looking for a DDoS protection with SLA, you are looking at least several thousands of dollars a month.

Hosting providers provide basic DDoS protection that is included in the price, but when it comes to very large attacks the protection eventually will not withstand the attack. That is why you need to look for a DDoS protection proxy to filter our the traffic such as ServerOrigin specifically for your website.

One thing that has also caught me attention was that you were initiating DDoS attacks toward RockSolidHost.net network. It does not matter if its for testing purposes or not, you should never initiate DDoS attacks. Its illegal and after you have posted this, RockSolidHost.net can possibly take legal actions against you for attacking their network, since I see that RockSolidHost.net is down which may have been caused by the DDoS attacks you have been initiating toward them:

It's not just you! http://RockSolidHost.net looks down from here.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/RockSolidHost.net
    I was suspended on Feb. 28th I think. It was because I disputed them. We've been conducting tests on ALL of my hosts that provide DDoS protection. We tested it in late January, so it's impossible that it'd be from us. Anyways, it was solely for testing purposes. Yes, I know DDoSing and Booting is illegal. But if you were in my spot, you'd definitely want to find out more about their protection. A support ticket won't cut it, anyone can lie.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one on on that server, too, so it didn't affect anyone but myself. The server I was on was a VPS from Infinite Tech, which is rented monthly.

I did not initiate MORE than the three test mentioned above.

Anyways, their protection is great for their price.

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    I'm not quite sure what to think of your review to be honest. The response times at 36 hours does seem alarming and yes you should've moved away.

However, if your initial downtime was due to DDoS attacks, I think I'd have let that slide.

One questions, I was a little unclear...so you actually attacked a server on their network?...as a test?
    With my own hands, no. I did in fact have a friend test the network of the server I was on with AB, though. Exactly three times which I mentioned above. I really don't see a problem with this, though? I assumed you all probably did the same, too. Now to think of it after reading your posts, it does seem like a very stupid idea..

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTech View Post
    Yes, I know DDoSing and Booting is illegal. But if you were in my spot, you'd definitely want to find out more about their protection. A support ticket won't cut it, anyone can lie.
    Um...really? A security company offers residential security. So to test it, you're going to break into someone's home? Just to make sure they aren't lying.

*Don't say, "I broke into my own house." You'd be ignorantly missing the point.

You claim to know it's illegal.

If someone did this to us, we wouldn't respond to tickets either. We'd be preparing to take action against that individual. Which is probably what they were doing. It's not that they have bad support, it's that they wanted nothing to do with you. They obviously realized what you were doing based on the screenshot you provided.

You honestly don't realize what you potentially put RSH and potentially others through with your 'tests.'

I'm sure they would've terminated your account had you not left.

EDIT: While DDoS may not be illegal in the US. There's no doubt they can file a claim against if they can prove financial loss.
    Last edited by SajanP; 03-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.

rocksolidhost down from last 1 month and still down i think they never back online
    Web Hosting in Pakistan -> Fast Hosting,(25 minute initial ticket response time guarantee)
    Hosting in Pakistan -> Keep your site online with Cheap Price