Advanced Server Colocation

Has anyone tried Advanced Server Colocation?

(advancedservercolocation.com)

Would like to hear some feedback in regards to this company.

thanks all

you will get a bit better pricing from them and shorter contract terms most time, other than that there isn't much advantage.

Not sure about other facilities but you should be able to get a better pricing at Fremont HE location than if you were to go directly to HE.

I've used them for colocation in Hurricane Electric's Fremont 2 facility. The colo is fine as they are just reselling HE's cabinets. The problem I have with Advanced Colocation is the extreme "nickle and dime" mentality alongside with slow or unresponsive account support.

Some examples of problems I've had in the past:
    1. Advanced Colocation won't add IPv6 unless I upgrade to a GigE circuit (I'm on a 100Mbps unmetered now). Hurricane Electric provides IPv6 transit and IP's to it's customers. There's no reason Adv Colo shouldn't provide this.
    2. Power is the limited resource at HE. Space is abundant, but you can only get 15A in a single cabinet. As a result, most cabinets throughout the facility have only 5-12 servers in them, but are maxed out power wise. I was looking to buy a new 2U server and replace my current 1U. Adv Colo wanted another $40/mo for me to occupy an extra 1U of space in a rack that has ~10 servers in it.
    3. There was a minor networking issue with Adv Colo's router a few days ago. Emails to Advanced Colocation (Ben Kimberlin and Carl Clopton) have gone completely unanswered.

All in all it's a cheap colo option for people who don't need quick support from them, or IPv6 over a 100Mbps circuit, and don't plan on changing your requirements mid-contract (as they'll nickel and dime you).

As of this writing, here are the plans I've seen from Adv Colo and HE directly:

ADV COLO:
    $79/mo - 1U Space, 1A, 100Mbps
    $399/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps

HURRICANE ELECTRIC:
    $200/mo - 7U Space, 2A, 100Mbps
    $400/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps (with only 1Mbps usage)
    $500/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps

There are other plans as well, and different pricing for different terms, but this gives you an idea of the difference between the offerings.

Nice review Mrbmw99 appreciate the info. Hate the nickle and dime stuff though!

We have a client we do remote hands for in Fremont that has a rack with and it's....alright. The price is great and the facility is, of course, fantastic.

The problem comes when trying to get things done up. Here's a small list:

- Getting a hold of their sales reps during the initial was impossible. At one point the client, and even us, had to leave some pretty harsh messages on the phone to even get a reply that wasn't simply a sales pitch (we were already interested, why keep pitching??)
    - The client got a /24 included with his rack and they had no idea how to static route it to the vyatta box we installed for the client. This led to the client having his whole rack down for an additional day on top of the downtime from the physical move
    - SWIP's simply don't happen. We've been trying to get blocks swipped for this client since May of last year and we've yet to get a single request completed. We've filled out the forms fully for them and all they had to do was forward them
    - IPV6 came with a '1Gbit connection' fee. Kind of silly considering HE has tunnel brokers inside of FMT1 & FMT2 so there would be 0 latency connecting to them from the vyatta box

If you never have to email them for exact work and can get away with dealing with HE directly then the price is great. If you want some cheap racks in HE that comes with a proper support staff then talk with egihosting.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I have always had good experience with advanced colocation. Specially carl, lisa, and other staff over there.

Mrbmw99
    If you thing they nickle and dime on sub $1 bandwidth or one of the lowest price colo on the market. I would say they have full right to do so, and with prices like those most ppl jump on to it and dont haggle. So I dont know where the nickle and dime came in.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbmw99 View Post
    I've used them for colocation in Hurricane Electric's Fremont 2 facility. The colo is fine as they are just reselling HE's cabinets. The problem I have with Advanced Colocation is the extreme "nickle and dime" mentality alongside with slow or unresponsive account support.

Some examples of problems I've had in the past:
    1. Advanced Colocation won't add IPv6 unless I upgrade to a GigE circuit (I'm on a 100Mbps unmetered now). Hurricane Electric provides IPv6 transit and IP's to it's customers. There's no reason Adv Colo shouldn't provide this.
    2. Power is the limited resource at HE. Space is abundant, but you can only get 15A in a single cabinet. As a result, most cabinets throughout the facility have only 5-12 servers in them, but are maxed out power wise. I was looking to buy a new 2U server and replace my current 1U. Adv Colo wanted another $40/mo for me to occupy an extra 1U of space in a rack that has ~10 servers in it.
    3. There was a minor networking issue with Adv Colo's router a few days ago. Emails to Advanced Colocation (Ben Kimberlin and Carl Clopton) have gone completely unanswered.

All in all it's a cheap colo option for people who don't need quick support from them, or IPv6 over a 100Mbps circuit, and don't plan on changing your requirements mid-contract (as they'll nickel and dime you).

As of this writing, here are the plans I've seen from Adv Colo and HE directly:

ADV COLO:
    $79/mo - 1U Space, 1A, 100Mbps
    $399/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps

HURRICANE ELECTRIC:
    $200/mo - 7U Space, 2A, 100Mbps
    $400/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps (with only 1Mbps usage)
    $500/mo - Full Rack, 15A, 100Mbps

There are other plans as well, and different pricing for different terms, but this gives you an idea of the difference between the offerings.
    I can't comment on the responsiveness from ASC, but to put things in perspective, HE / ASC offers some extremely aggressive pricing. So extreme, that they have to charge for everything. There are real fees and overhead associated with operating a data center that you wouldn't see unless you dealt with the monthly maintenance contracts, paid the power bill, and 100s of other overhead factors that are involved. Plus you mentioned changing your requirements mid-contract - in which many providers may not even oblige you. Just trying to play devil's advocate here, there's more to every story than what you read.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

In regards to just standard cross connects to HE at other facilities, does anyone know if it goes with a direct port to HE? Or through ASC's routers?
    Jon Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by CompuSite View Post
    In regards to just standard cross connects to HE at other facilities, does anyone know if it goes with a direct port to HE? Or through ASC's routers?
    It could be direct or indirect. depends in factors like luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
    I have always had good experience with advanced colocation. Specially carl, lisa, and other staff over there.

Mrbmw99
    If you thing they nickle and dime on sub $1 bandwidth or one of the lowest price colo on the market. I would say they have full right to do so, and with prices like those most ppl jump on to it and dont haggle. So I dont know where the nickle and dime came in.
    Of course they have the right to do so. My opinion is simply that while the colo is cheap, I don't agree with the way they're operating. Let me give some examples:

1. The $40 for another U of space issue: As mentioned above, HE sells racks with 15A circuits. Space is not an issue here, because you can't put many servers in any cabinet since there is not enough power. The result throughout Advanced Colocation's cabinets, and the datacenter as a whole, is cabinets that are more than half empty. That being said, for Adv Colo to require another $40/mo (on an $80/mo 1U/2A/Shared 100Mbps plan) for a customer to use 2U instead of 1U in a cabinet that cannot be sold out any more (i.e. no more power available) is crappy, in my opinion.

2. IPv6. Adv Colo will not offer IPv6 to it's customers on 100Mbps circuits. From Ben Kimberlin, "We allocate IPv6 for Internet pipe of GigE (1,000Mbps) or larger". In addition, I know someone who recently purchased their $399/mo Full Cab/15A/100Mbps offer, and was told he would need to pay an additional $100/mo to get IPv6 on this plan. Keep in mind that Hurricane Electric offers free IPv6 addresses and runs dual-stack, meaning Adv Colo doesn't need to spend money on this beyond an IPv6-capable router, which they appear to already have. Also, the $399/mo plan plus a $100 up-charge for IPv6 is $500/mo, which is what HE charges retail customers for a rack with the same services. Why not go direct and skip the shared router in Adv Colo's racks?

3. Sales/Support. Their Sales process was very drawn out. I remember having to send a couple emails (over a couple days) before hearing back from Carl. Reaching anyone by phone hasn't been easy. Ben never picks up, and seems to respond to voicemails by email. Carl returns voicemails. I've had support emails go unanswered. I realize they're offering cheap colocation, but the fact that they're so difficult to reach can be a problem. By the way, Advanced Colocation appears to be running from Texas, not locally (even though they have local phone numbers too).

These are my experiences, and the opinion I have formed based on those experiences. I hear other companies (such as EGI Hosting) are also reselling colo space at HE and are doing a great job in comparison. This just goes to prove that it's possible for a company to do it right even when reselling cheap colo/bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by dbuyer0 View Post
    I can't comment on the responsiveness from ASC, but to put things in perspective, HE / ASC offers some extremely aggressive pricing. So extreme, that they have to charge for everything. There are real fees and overhead associated with operating a data center that you wouldn't see unless you dealt with the monthly maintenance contracts, paid the power bill, and 100s of other overhead factors that are involved. Plus you mentioned changing your requirements mid-contract - in which many providers may not even oblige you. Just trying to play devil's advocate here, there's more to every story than what you read.
    I can appreciate the devil's advocate role. I'd like to add that while I do have a contract for the services I purchase, most companies would love to upgrade the account if the customer wishes to do so. Even mid-contract. I just don't agree with the 50% increase ($40/mo) for this resource.

Quote Originally Posted by CompuSite View Post
    I would imagine this depends on who you purchase from. As far as I know HE does these cross-connects for pretty cheap so I don't see any reason not to go directly with them for this.

In summary, my experiences with Adv Colo have been sub-par, in my opinion. I realize we are only dealing with cheap colo and cheap bandwidth, but they have room to improve.
    Last edited by mrbmw99; 03-15-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added HE comparison