Reseller or Dedicated

Hello,

Is it possible to find out if a hosting provider is providing service using a reseller account or has its own dedicated servers ?

Thanks.

Shoot an email and look at the properties of the replied email. Reseller accounts use shared hosting email service while dedicated doesn't. That is a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by kikloo View Post
    Hello,

Is it possible to find out if a hosting provider is providing service using a reseller account or has its own dedicated servers ?

Thanks.
    With the proper research, it's possible to figure it out - but ultimately no matter who you go with they're going to be reselling something on some level. I don't know of any providers who operate their own backbone, facilities, own their own hardware, real-estate, and also provide shared hosting. I'm not saying there aren't any, I just don't know of any.

rDNS, Traceroute, server email headers, dns reports (such as intodns.com) are all good starts but none of it will be conclusive if the provider hosts their own site with another provider. Some providers do this in case their customer network is down so that their primary site is still online for support.

Ultimately:
    • Find a provider that provides solid support and services (look for verified reviews, such as here on WHT).
    • Don't spend more than you could stand to lose if the provider were to "disappear".
    • Always keep your own off-provider backups no matter who the provider is or what they promise unless you're willing to lose it all permanently.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

You could simply send an email to sales and ask. If they're not honest about that, take your business elsewhere.

Yeah, just contact the host and ask them directly, still the best and fastest approach in my opinion
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

If you contact them and they lie you don't want to be their customer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    If you contact them and they lie you don't want to be their customer anyway.
    Hi,

How will i know if they're lying or not. I understand that almost every hoster is taking servers from some data center etc. and then selling hosting on those rented servers but there are some people who further take reseller hosting from these hosters and sell it by posing as their own.

How do i come to know that they are having their own dedis and not using reseller plans etc. ?

Thanks.

Hi,

How will i know if they're lying or not. I understand that almost every hoster is taking servers from some data center etc. and then selling hosting on those rented servers but there are some people who further take reseller hosting from these hosters and sell it by posing as their own.

How do i come to know that they are having their own dedis and not using reseller plans etc. ?

Thanks.
    Can you answer why you care if it's resold or on their own servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Can you answer why you care if it's resold or on their own servers?
    I'm sure they could - could you explain to me why you chose "Techy" instead of "Techie" or why your favorite color is <some color> or why you prefer a car to an SUV?

There's reasons for all of this and it generally comes down to personal preference
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hi,

Thanks.
    Hosts who provide reseller plans generally ensure their servers are completely white-labeled, so it's going to be difficult digging for the answer.

One thing you could do is ask the host for a test IP and check the whois of the IP for anything. You can also check the rDNS of that IP for a hostname, then google the domain to see if anything comes up. You could run a whois on the domain, however, it'll probably have privacy on for white-label purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I'm sure they could - could you explain to me why you chose "Techy" instead of "Techie" or why your favorite color is <some color> or why you prefer a car to an SUV?

There's reasons for all of this and it generally comes down to personal preference
    lol why not choose Techy? ... Very true...I was just wondering why he was so set on dedicated

Hi,

Thanks.
    You can ask for a reference to an existing customer, do a reverse whois on the domain name, and see how many other sites are hosted on that server, then check to see if any of those sites are hosted with a different hosting company. Most resellers use domain name servers that have their company name in them, so doing a whois on each domain on the server might work.

This won't work with the hosting company's main domain, as hosting companies often put their sales and support site on different servers.

So, if "lyingjerks.com" has name servers "ns1.lyingjerks.com" and "ns2.lyingjerks.com", but you see that "dishonestreseller.com" has name servers of "ns1.dishonestreseller.com" and "ns2.dishonestreseller.com", but their sites are on the same server, you could make the assumption that they are resellers.

So let's assume you have a short list of hosting companies recommended to you as honest, trustworthy and brave. Ask them if they are resellers. Google "hosted by companyname" and see if any of their customers have that on their site. Or visit their forums and look at the signatures of their customers advertising their sites, and do a whois.

In the end, none of this is foolproof. You could always spend $200 a month or so for a managed dedicated server, and be sure there are no resellers between you and the guy reselling the dedicated server.