Hard Drive Failure?

Hi,

I have an older Macbook that I purchased off eBay last year for $400, pretty much a steal in my eyes and it's been running awesome until now. Unfortunately, it freezes all the time with the colored circle and runs very slow. I tried re-installing the operating system and kept getting an error. After looking into the issue more, I think my hard drive failed and the file system was corrupted. Before I go buy a new hard drive, do any of you technical gurus know if this is exactly what it would be? How can I be sure it's the hard drive?

We also received the error something like "Invalid inode structure"

Suggestions would be awesome! If not, it may be time for a new Macbook

Isnt there any kind to scandisk or alike for macbooks that can try to "fix" the filesystem?

The fact that it whines about inodes and you have done a full reinstall ( did you drop the partition and create a new one? ) makes me think that yeah the drive may be knackered or about to be
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Quote Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
    Isnt there any kind to scandisk or alike for macbooks that can try to "fix" the filesystem?

The fact that it whines about inodes and you have done a full reinstall ( did you drop the partition and create a new one? ) makes me think that yeah the drive may be knackered or about to be
    Yes, I had dual boot, running latest Mac OSX and Windows 7. I erased the space off both partitions and re-partitioned the hard drive into 1 partition.

The stock drive that comes in those is petty low end. You can add in something like the Seagate XT drives or a true SSD and get a lot better performance I have found.

It's still showing issues even after you've reformatted and reinstalled the OS? Googling the issue, it does not appear to directly translate to a hard drive issue, though it could be the cause. People have suggested trying fsck on the disk to fix the file system corruption.

Ultimately, people have reported that a reformat/repartition should fix the issue. Have you checked the ram? I don't use a Mac so I don't know if this tool works, but for my PC, there's Memtest86+ to check your ram for errors. Bad ram could lead to faulty writes on the disk, causing corruption.

I've reset the RAM, haven't really checked it. I think the drive in there is like a 100 or 120 GB Toshiba drive.

Did you try boot and running from an USB flash drive?
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

I didn't try to boot from a USB Flash Drive, don't have one large enough, I'm just going to get a new Macbook or a hard drive I think.

It's about time that I treat myself to something

You can boot off the OS DVD and use the disk utility to check the disk and permissions. That's the first step. There are software packages out there that might be able to help - but if it disk utility can't fix it I'd just recommend buying a new HD.

With everything you have tried and eliminated, the best bet would be to just buy a new hd.

I can see decent ones on eBay for practically nothing, so take the hit bud, and get your great steal of a laptop up and running.
    1Gbps Dedicated Servers - 1GigE (1000Mbit) Dedicated port.
    Unmetered Bandwidth | Instant Setup Dedicated Servers, Xen & OpenVZ VPS
    100% Owned Equipment
    - EvoSwitch, Netherlands
    www.RapidSpeeds.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDAnswer View Post
    I've reset the RAM, haven't really checked it. I think the drive in there is like a 100 or 120 GB Toshiba drive.
    I've seen quite a few faulty Toshiba drives, so I try to keep away from them. The ones I prefer are the Travelstar and the Seagate drives.

sorry
    it is very danger issue if you have impotent data.
    The Game is Over

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds View Post
    With everything you have tried and eliminated, the best bet would be to just buy a new hd.

I can see decent ones on eBay for practically nothing, so take the hit bud, and get your great steal of a laptop up and running.
    Would you think it's the drive? I can get a 120GB for around $40, not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by aam1 View Post
    I've seen quite a few faulty Toshiba drives, so I try to keep away from them. The ones I prefer are the Travelstar and the Seagate drives.
    Yea, I wish I could but unfortunately it came with the computer, I like to stick with Hitachi, Western Digital and Seagate.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAnswer View Post
    Would you think it's the drive? I can get a 120GB for around $40, not bad at all.

Yea, I wish I could but unfortunately it came with the computer, I like to stick with Hitachi, Western Digital and Seagate.
    I've heard good things about the Seagate drives.