Thumbs down GoDaddy? Go elsewhere.

A little over a week ago I had an individual file a bogus complaint against one of my domains, stating that the info was incorrect. Within several hours, GoDaddy (GD) had sent me a notice and charged me $9.95 in administrative fees. Keep in mind that my info was NOT invalid or incomplete. I phoned GD support to get the details of the situation. They informed me that because my domain info didn't match my billing info, the domain reg info was deemed invalid. They insisted that I update my domain info to match my billing info in order to avoid any future charges. They also instructed me that I would have to contact the whois dep't to inquire about a refund, since the initial complaint was bogus.

I proceeded to update my info as they instructed me to do. I contacted the whois dep't via email as instructed. They sent me what appeared to be a form response, stating that the charge would not be refunded. Furthermore, they insisted that this charge was authorized within my contract, though when challenged, they could not provide evidence of this. I told them if they were going to charge my credit card without my express permission, then contractual evidence was required. They never replied.

First I filed a complaint with my financial institution. I then filed a complaint with the BBB. On this same day, I placed an order with another registrar to transfer my domains. Within 1 business day of receiving the BBB complaint, I received an email from GD that a refund request was being processed. Today, when my eCheck to the new registrar cleared, I received a notice that GD rejected the transfer as the information on the domain had been changed within the last 60 days. They claim that I "opted in" for this service but I absolutely assure you that I did not. If they would have told me it's buried in my contract somewhere, I woudl said "ok, maybe I missed it." No, they specifically state that I "opted in" - not "failed to opt out." Anyway, I changed it because they demanded I do so in order to avoid racking up innumerable charges. Now they are using that change to restrict me from going to another registrar for 60 days or more. This is completely ridiculous.

I never thought GD was a great registrar but over the course of 6 years I never had any specific problems. I just kept filing my renewals and really didn't even visit the GD website for most of the year each year. However, after 6 years as a loyal customer, they had no problem letting me go over $9.95. Customer service was awful and they allowed it to escalate to a BBB complaint before they would even consider a refund. Now, just to pour salt in the wound, they're keeping me from going elsewhere for the next couple months.

If you're thinking about heading to GoDaddy, go elsewhere.

So, where are you going?

Actually they are not only domain name registrar. Sometimes people think that price is much more important then service. But when they have real experience - they change their mind.

Every registrar has its positive and negative points, only by opening an account and registering domains, you can find out how good or bad it is.

omg godaddy is charging for invalid informations ? really ? its nothing written on there website.

i think you might get refund if you please them.

It happened to me one also. Actually, I don't think it's real problem. In my case somebody wanted to buy the domain. So I charged them the $9.95

If you are talking about the 60 day hold because of a change of Registrant Info, you can request they unrelease it (provided the domain is at 60 days old).

I don't actually see what the problem is?
    Signature Under Construction.

You can try name.com or namecheap.com they seem reliable.

If you search the Internet, you will find a variety of complaints about GD. I was with GD for nearly a decade when I started noticing the growth of annoying company policies. From ugly changes to their domain backorder process to domains being shut down with little or no proof, I heard story after story from other users. Some of them were proven true by changes in the GD terms of service.

Finally I realized that I needed to spread my domains across multiple registrars because it takes too long to move hundreds of domains from one registrar to another. With three registrars, I can learn more about their policies and practices, and if I need to abandon one of them, I only have a hundred or so domains to move, instead of about 350. Having more than three registrars would make domain management too confusing.

Fortunately, most registrars don't have a single public personality running the place, like GD does. He sees himself as a tough guy and he treats his customers like punks.

Shaw

They have mixed reviews. But in the most situations people prefer to post negative reviews. That is true.

Hi Acheron,
    May I know which registrar you have decided to move to?
    I'll never go with GD, but I'm currently thinking of moving away from eNom.
    IhsanHost - We believe in "everyone deserves "yourdomain.com"
    The Most Affordable Shared Web Hosting, Yet Professional & Reliable.
    Pay for your domain and we will take care of the rest for you.
    Click here to check out our affordable web hosting solutions.

namecheap.com is pretty much cool, I use it frequently

Go to namecheap. :]

I'm a big domainer. I moved from eNom a few years ago to GoDaddy. But I'm now moving all my domains to Dynadot. Marginally more expensive, but no problem with doing many whois lookups.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I'm a big domainer. I moved from eNom a few years ago to GoDaddy. But I'm now moving all my domains to Dynadot. Marginally more expensive, but no problem with doing many whois lookups.
    Hi Stub,
    I'm just curious.. and would like to know why to moved from eNom? I'm not dreaming of going to GoDaddy, though

I'm currently with eNom, and in search for a real reliable domain provider. I'm not happy with eNom at this point of time.. not at all.

I hope you won't mind sharing.
    Thank you

I had a domain stolen at eNom after I purchased it at their now defunct auctions (they used NameJet.com now). When they pushed the domain into my account, they retained the old password. The old owner called them up, gave them the password, and they unlocked the domain and gave them the auth code. He then transferred the domain out. Now who in there right mind would have expected them not to blank out the password. They told me this was a feature. What? But I noticed some time after that they started deleting the old password on won auctions. Had 3 director level people involved, but they refused to get back my domain. They even refunded my bid price, which was absolutely against their ToS at the time. Which to me is an admission of guilt, and cheaper for them than going back after my domain, which is what they should have done. They just didn't want to admit a mistake. I was and still am a top-level ETP. I had several thousand domains with eNom. I've spent tens of thousands of $$$ there. Today I have only 3 domains there, one of which was recently purchased in the aftermarket. The other two are my only two .co.uk domains.

Well that's a long story, to a simple question. But it's why I stopped using eNom. There support was also once very good, but now it's only a shadow of it's former self. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's appauling, but it's not anywhere as good as it was. I still like their well organized Control Panel though, and I love their Magic Folders.

GoDaddy was cheaper. I became a member of their Domain Discount Club (annual fee) but it was worth it to get their cheapest prices for everything, always, without the need to seek out coupon codes. I've spent many tens of thousands of $$$ there. I was institutional in getting them to introduce their Preset Profiles. These aren't as good as eNom's Magic Folders, but in conjunction with the use of folders, they are basically the same. I actually like the Control Panel a lot. It's search features are the best of any registrar, which is great with so many domains. Why I'm moving away from GoDaddy is because they ban your IP in a random fashion if you do whois lookups. This could be anywhere from <10 to over >100 lookups. This interferes with my Domain Management Software. They just wouldn't budge on this issue, even for a VIP domainer spending tens of thousands of dollars a year.

Move forward to day, I found Dynadot, who have a pretty basic but easy to use Control Panel, with most of the features I need, So far good support. I've got about 10% of my domains transferred so far. They don't ban my IP address for doing whois lookups, and their whois server seems about twice as fast as GoDaddys. I've had a few issues with their website not being available (which isn't good) and I don't like all the scammers in their forums (which I don't use). I'm sure the number of scammers there is in direct proportion to their website availability. If they got rid of them, I'm sure it would improve. Slightly more expensive than GoDaddy (by about $0.25/domain). Actually, I'm happy with the move to Dynadot.
    Last edited by stub; 03-12-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Hi Stub,

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    ... I still like their well organized Control Panel though, and I love their Magic Folders.
    This is why I find it pretty difficult to leave eNom, but it seems I have no choice but to do so

Looking at Dynadot for the first time, I'm not quite impressed by their frontpage. So I didn't try to get deeper. I tried to find their "About Us" but couldn't, may it's hidden somewhere there

Thank you very much for the info, though

For those looking for a great registrar, take a gander at internet.bs

I have to agree about GD's DNS lookup blocking. It was just another negative, piled-up with others that finally motivated me to leave GD. Who are they to block people from looking up DNS information? Going to their site for the info is cumbersome.

Shaw

@GSalam - Dynadot don't have Magic Folders, but it is quite easy to have a different contact profile for each folder (if you wish), but you have to change each domain manually. Same for the nameservers. But you can do this in bulk, so it isn't so hard even for many names. You can store different contacts and nameservers. So it's easy to select between them. Only the default folder has a defined profile. I questioned whether a folder could have a default profile with my support person, and they said they were working on this.

Dynadot's Control Panel isn't as good as eNom's (by quite a way), but I've seen small improvements in the short time I've been with them. eNom's Control Panel is addictive Dynadot try to be plain and simple Control Panel, but it's a hard thing to achieve. IMHO, it's not bad, but not great. Personally, I think it's hard to beat eNom and GoDaddy's Control Panels. But you'd expect that from the top two registrars.

Why are you leaving eNom?
    Last edited by stub; 03-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.

I would add that I wouldn't be leaving GoDaddy if they didn't play these games with their whois. I just lost my data in my Domain Management Software, (I know, I know). But it wasn't too difficult to recreate. But now I have to redo the whois lookups for many thousands of domains. Most of which are still at GoDaddy. It's going to take weeks/months to get all the data updated again. Time I can't really afford at the moment. PITA. I love the GoDaddy Control Panel, but their Checkout sucks big time. But they're never going to change that, even for big domainers, despite their promises.

Hi Stub,
    A week ago or so, I posted my complains (experience) regarding eNom here.
    Now, I'm looking into internet.bs and NameCheap. Dynadot is in the list though
    Mind you, the issues I mentioned in that thread are still not been solved yet!

Neither NameCheap nor Dynadot offer a Reseller Account. That only leaves you with Internet.bs. Now I understand that they are the cheapest and offshore from US (well from everywhere), which are good things, but I'm not sure if I'd entrust my domains and those of my customers because they don't have much of a track record, which is a bad thing. Also their control panel is a tad quirky, if you ask me. So I would suspect they don't support WHMCS. If you must have WHMCS (which is good), I think you would be far better off going with a Registrar they support. Also because you are already familiar with it. OK. I just took a quick look at their website. They're Domain Registration Partners, appear to be only eNom and Reseller Club. I thought they had many more Domain Registration Partners than just these two, and I don't recommend Reseller Club, because of their Control Panel, among other things. OK. I just saw the complete list. It includes InternetBS. Of all those listed, I don't know that many of them, but OpenSRS and NameCheap (so they do have a Reseller Option) seem to be the better ones (imho), of those I know. But domains are unlikely to come in under $10. So now I understand why you are considering InternetBS. Just understand how comprehensively they integrate with the WHMCS API. I'd be interested to hear what you finally choose, and your experiences. But whichever it is, say goodbye to the eNom Control Panel. I wouldn't choose any of them over that. But then you have issues with support. But remember eNom doesn't support any sub-resellers, so your issue would be with WHMCS, imho.
    Last edited by stub; 03-14-2011 at 01:45 AM.

WHMCS does indeed have an InternetBS module: http://whmcs.com/modules.php
    WHMCompleteSolution
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    www.whmcs.com

@chickndip - You obviously don't bother to read my whole message.

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    A little over a ...
    Buddy you are lucky. They have suspended 150 domains and asked me 70$ for each in order to have the possibility to move them to another domain provider.
    They are a business making machine and that is what they care about. If they have the opportunity they will give an invoice.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action

not the first time i am reading this kind of posts about go daddy...

@Acheron - Firstly sorry if me and GSalam have somewhat hijacked your thread. It wasn't intentional.

You can release the 60 day hold on registrant change by asking GD to unlock it. You need to be specific that you want the 60 day hold on Registrant Name change lock released and state that it's against ICANN policy. They will unlock the domain so it will transfer out. But of course if it's locked because of the disputed charge, that could be a whole other matter. So did you change the Registrant Name or only the address? Because it's only if the Registrant Name changes that the lock gets put into place.