Question How much do shared hosts expect to charge for dedicated IPV6 address?

This is more a question for the hosts: how much do you plan to charge your customers for dedicated IPV6 address when CPanel start to support IPV6?

It better be zero.

If you have a shared web hosting charging for ipv6, I would say look for a new host.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    It better be zero.
    Wow, you sure shared hosts are offering it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by jayglate View Post
    If you have a shared web hosting charging for ipv6, I would say look for a new host.
    OK, let me re-phrase my question then, which shared hosts are using CPanel and offering IPV6 for free?

Quote Originally Posted by zhuanyi View Post
    Wow, you sure shared hosts are offering it for free?
    If they're forcing you to pay for a single dedicated IPv6 IP, they're just being huge douches and you should run, not walk.

If they're forcing you to pay for a single dedicated IPv6 IP, they're just being huge douches and you should run, not walk.
    Well,they did not force, but I'll need that for ssl correct?

Interesting that I do not see any too many shared hosting providers replying to this topic...
    @quantumphysics, guess a lot of shared hosting providers have a different thought than you

Quote Originally Posted by zhuanyi View Post
    @quantumphysics, guess a lot of shared hosting providers have a different thought than you
    A normal block of IPv4 is a couple of IPs per server, and normally costs per IP.
    A normal block of IPv6 is enough to give every single file on the server it's own IP, and normally costs the provider nothing.

A normal block of IPv4 is a couple of IPs per server, and normally costs per IP.
    A normal block of IPv6 is enough to give every single file on the server it's own IP, and normally costs the provider nothing.
    I have no idea how the whole web hosting business model works so I won't pretend that I am an expert, but I think when it comes to IP address distribution, there is always certain amount of admin charges?

Again, I think our words don't count, it is how the hosting providers decide whether or not charge us and how much to charge haha

Well, the ISP that actually owns the IPs still has to pay an RIR such as ARIN, but if I were a host, I'd just eat the cost. Smaller hosts can just use their upstream provider's IPs, so by the time it gets down to an end-user, it's not worth charging for. ARIN charges $2250/year as an admin fee for a /32.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    Well, the ISP that actually owns the IPs still has to pay an RIR such as ARIN, but if I were a host, I'd just eat the cost. Smaller hosts can just use their upstream provider's IPs, so by the time it gets down to an end-user, it's not worth charging for. ARIN charges $2250/year as an admin fee for a /32.
    Oh, wow, you have probably just divulged a business secret haha...
    I really think 2250 is not a lot for a block, considering how many IPs you got from each block. In fact, BuyVM has offered me 16 IPV6 address with my 15/year package.
    But I guess perhaps the profit margin for shared hosts are not that great for them to give up on the opportunity on earning every cent?