Question why shared hosts require a dedicated IP to allow SSL?

Is there any practical reason for shared hosts to require their customers to purchase a dedicated IPV4 address before allow them to have an SSL certificate? Or this is strictly for business/profit reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by zhuanyi View Post
    Is there any practical reason for shared hosts to require their customers to purchase a dedicated IPV4 address before allow them to have an SSL certificate? Or this is strictly for business/profit reasons?
    It's due to you can have only one SSL certificate per IP address. Since shared hosting utilizes a shared IP with multiple websites, it would be impossible to have a certificate for more than one website with a differing domain name.

Also, the shared IP address usually will be assigned for the shared SSL certificate that is normally offered with your hosting package.

It's certainly no scam to make more profit, it is just what is required.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

It's simply a technical requirement of the SSL protocol.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

This post explains it nicely: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...43&postcount=2

It's required by the protocol.

understood, thanks a lot guys!

Yes, SSL's can not be installed on a shared IP. One SSL can be installed per IP, so if either

1) Everyone wants to share you SSL (unlikely)
    2) there is already an SSL on that IP

You need to have one dedicated to your site to install the SSL.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    This post explains it nicely: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...43&postcount=2

Even better.. !

SSL purchased for your domain will always require your domain to be hosted on a dedicated IP.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post

Actually I am surprised that you dig up a post 2 yrs ago haha, I think even the search function in the forum does not give you the post right away...

How about using shared SSL?

Using the servers shared SSL, you are not required to have your own IP. The shared SSL will be on it's own IP, and you just invoke it the way you call the URL to your secure files.

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

Many information already here.

In name-based shared ip hosting, also called vitual hosting, in shared host serve many hostnames on a only one machine with a single Ip-address.In Shared hosting o you can have only one SSL certificate per IP address. As shared hosting used a shared IP with many websites, it is likely not possibal to cover a certificate for further than single website by different domain name.shared hosting required protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    It's due to you can have only one SSL certificate per IP address. Since shared hosting utilizes a shared IP with multiple websites, it would be impossible to have a certificate for more than one website with a differing domain name.

Also, the shared IP address usually will be assigned for the shared SSL certificate that is normally offered with your hosting package.

It's certainly no scam to make more profit, it is just what is required.
    right its needed , not for profit.

Its technically standard and is required. Without a dedicated IP address, its impossible to assign a SSL certificate when there is more than one website using the same IP address on the server.

SSL certificates require dedicated IP addresses.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Shared hosting service is based upon internet protocol, is also know as virtual hosting.shared hosting is serve that several hostname at a singal machineand use only one ip addres.In shared hosting just one ssl certificate for each ip address.in shared hosting use a shared ip in lot of sites . it is im possibal to face a certificate for more than single website by dissimilar domain name. And shared hosting required protocol.

Actually I think shared SSL should be sufficient if you know/trust what you are connecting to, because the tunnel is encrypted in either case, shared or dedicated. Obviously you do not expect your customers to trust you that much if you are running a business, but for what I need, I think it is good enough.

What? What about SNI? A quick read suggests dedicated IPs aren't needed anymore for SSL.

Quote Originally Posted by dotbomber View Post
    What? What about SNI? A quick read suggests dedicated IPs aren't needed anymore for SSL.
    SNI support isn't 100% widespread yet though on the client side, so not really a good idea yet.

Actually, SNI support is really good on modern client side applications. Some people will always use IE6, but we cannot keep worrying about those people.

I have heard that IE and Firefox on Windows XP do not support SNI, but I have also heard that Chrome on Windows XP does support SNI. So there is at least one browser that supports SNI on the obsolete/outdated (but still widely used) Windows XP platform.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    Actually, SNI support is really good on modern client side applications. Some people will always use IE6, but we cannot keep worrying about those people.

I have heard that IE and Firefox on Windows XP do not support SNI, but I have also heard that Chrome on Windows XP does support SNI. So there is at least one browser that supports SNI on the obsolete/outdated (but still widely used) Windows XP platform.
    Correct, and that's the problem though, Win7 usage only just overtook WinXP in usage stats (this month?), and I'm gussing a large % of those XP users are using IE6/7/8, which isn't supported.

Well, I'd still like to know which shared hosts support SNI.

For some domains I admin, it would be appropriate, given the current level of browser support.

I went ahead and put in a request for bids via hostvoice; I'll report back what I find.
    Last edited by dotbomber; 10-26-2011 at 05:58 PM.